On the back end of an earnings season that by many accounts could have been worse, tech investors appeared to be in the mood to celebrate on Friday, sending shares of IT companies higher as key stock-market indexes hit milestone highs.
A former portfolio manager at the now defunct Diamondback Capital Management has been sentenced to 54 months in prison for crimes related to a multimillion dollar insider trading scheme involving computer maker Dell and hardware maker Nvidia.
Softbank's CEO, in a battle with Dish Network to acquire U.S. mobile operator Sprint Nextel, slammed a US$25.5 billion offer made by Dish, saying it is based on "imaginary" numbers and would create a company with "insane" amounts of debt.
With Apple reporting a decline in profit margins and Samsung consolidating its leadership in the mobile device market, earnings results and market research reports this week point to the ever-increasing importance of smartphones as key to growth in t...
Alcatel-Lucent's first-quarter revenue inched up 0.6 percent year on year, but it reported a net loss after making a profit a year earlier.
Samsung Electronics said its Galaxy S3 and Note 2 helped it to defy a shrinking smartphone market in the first quarter, boosting its overall profits by 42 per cent from a year ago.
China's largest search engine Baidu reported slowing profit growth in this year's first quarter on Friday, as the company's research and development costs, along with promotion expenses, soared.
Sony has doubled its profit forecast for its recently ended fiscal year, a widely expected move after it sold off major assets including its U.S. headquarters and an office complex in Tokyo.
Sales of Nintendo's Wii U and 3DS fell short of the company's targets last fiscal year, pulling its profits down to half of what it expected.
Apple's net profit dropped during the second quarter of 2013 as the company's iPhone shipment growth slowed down, based on year-over-year comparisons.
AT&T has reported revenue of US $31.4 billion for the first quarter of 2013, down slightly from a year earlier, although net income was up slightly, with a sagging wireline business division nearly offsetting mobile and wired broadband growth.
China Mobile, the country's largest wireless carrier, reported weak profit growth in the first quarter as it struggled to squeeze more revenue out of existing customers.
Some of the biggest names in IT including IBM, Microsoft, Google and Intel reported quarterly earnings this week, revealing a picture of the tech sector that, while not as gloomy as had been feared, is nevertheless mixed.
SAP reported strong growth in cloud subscription and support revenue in the first quarter, even as the company saw a decline in software and cloud subscription revenue in the Asia-Pacific and Japan region.
Indian outsourcer Wipro reported slow revenue growth in its IT services business, reflecting a continued volatility in the outsourcing market.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- New DMA Locker ransomware is ramping up for widespread attacks
- The legal mumbo jumbo on popular mobile apps can take over 24 hours to read
- Need more analytics speed? Cray wants to light a fire under your big data
- Tips and apps to improve your sales
- Why technology is so scary for three-quarters of Aussie businesses
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTVMWare Infrastructure EngineerVIC
- CCAWS Developer/LeadNSW
- CCTechnical WriterNSW
- CCIT Security Consultant -NSW
- CCSenior Service Desk ManagerNSW
- CCBI/Information/Data/Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTFunctional Business Analyst Dynamic AXNSW
- CCAnalyst Programmer (J2EE/Oracle/SQL*PLUS) 160519/AP/432Asia
- CCProject Manager/Iteration ManagerVIC
- CCIT Environment and Deployment SpecialistQLD
- CCSenior IT Security Specialist-SANS, ISC2, ISACA, ITILNSW
- CCDomain Specialist | Multiple RolesVIC
- CCTIBCO Integration ConsultantVIC
- CCEnd to End Project Manager - PMO and GovernanceVIC
- FTMid-Level Full-Stack Java DeveloperVIC
- CCInfrastructure Business AnalystNSW
- CCAccess Control Administration / Help desk OperatorACT
- FTTechnical WriterACT
- CCSnr Technology Analyst Disaster RecoveryVIC
- CCProject CoordinatorACT
- FTSenior .NET DeveloperWA
- CCSenior Oracle Functional ConsultantSA
- CCSr. Net DeveloperVIC
- CCIteration Manager/Agile Project ManagerNSW
- CCSystems Engineer- VMware / Cisco UCSNSW