IBM will sell the semiconductor technologies unit that makes its Power processors to GlobalFoundries, paying the chip manufacturer about US$1.3 billion to take two factories off its hands in a move to save money.
Under pressure to boost margins, IBM is set to make what it calls a "major business announcement" Monday morning, raising the possibility that it has finalized a deal to transfer chip-making operations to GlobalFoundries.
Samsung is partnering with chip manufacturer GlobalFoundries to increase the supply of low-power, high-speed chips for smartphones and tablets.
GlobalFoundries, a contract chip manufacturer that works closely with semiconductor companies, appointed former Motorola Mobility CEO Sanjay Jha as its chief executive Monday.
The U.S. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency and a consortium of top semiconductor companies are handing out US$194 million to universities for research that addresses the physical limitations of semiconductors and chips.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Upgrading to SAP Hana? This new tool can help prepare your code
- The eyes have it: How one startup aims to change the future of VR
- Gaming on Linux, Steam machines set to soar with DirectX competitor Vulkan
- Google didn't abuse its position in Streetmap case, UK court rules
- New Chromebook won't break with 365-pound person standing on it
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- FTSoftware Developer - Ruby on RailsNSW
- CCSystems AnalystQLD
- FTAnalyst: Business Intelligence & AnalyticsVIC
- FTProject Manager | Permanent position | NV1 NV2 cleared | Defence | Great cultureACT
- FTIT Cyber Security Requirements ConsultantACT
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Life InsuranceVIC
- FTSenior Mobile Developer - IOSNSW
- FTJava Web Development OpportunityVIC
- CCOperations AnalystNSW
- FTNetwork Engineer | NV2 clearance | Defence projects | Immediate interviewACT
- FTWintel EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Portfolio Manager - IT ProjectsNSW
- CCProject ManagerSA
- CCJava Developer - Front/ Back EndVIC
- CCContract System Analyst (Linux/Security/LAN) 160211/SSA/521Asia
- CCTechnical Tester - AutomationVIC
- FTManual Software TesterNSW
- CCOracle Applications Projects Functional ConsultantSA
- CCBilling Assistant / AdministrationACT
- CCTechnical Lead - .NET TechnologiesNSW
- FTTechnical WriterNSW
- CCOPA Developer (Oracle Policy Automation)ACT
- CCOracle Test LeadNSW
- CCService ModellerNSW