IBM will sell the semiconductor technologies unit that makes its Power processors to GlobalFoundries, paying the chip manufacturer about US$1.3 billion to take two factories off its hands in a move to save money.
Under pressure to boost margins, IBM is set to make what it calls a "major business announcement" Monday morning, raising the possibility that it has finalized a deal to transfer chip-making operations to GlobalFoundries.
Samsung is partnering with chip manufacturer GlobalFoundries to increase the supply of low-power, high-speed chips for smartphones and tablets.
GlobalFoundries, a contract chip manufacturer that works closely with semiconductor companies, appointed former Motorola Mobility CEO Sanjay Jha as its chief executive Monday.
The U.S. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency and a consortium of top semiconductor companies are handing out US$194 million to universities for research that addresses the physical limitations of semiconductors and chips.
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 3 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 4 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- 10 ways to get an IT Job in 2017
- Trump names net neutrality foe Ajit Pai to lead the FCC
- Samsung sees 2016 profit jump despite Note 7 debacle
- Microsoft expands FastTrack migration service
- Yahoo pushes back timing of Verizon deal after breaches
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCProject Manager - TelcoVIC
- FTSolutions Architect - Data Centre/ NetworkQLD
- TPSoftware EngineerWA
- CCMultiple Infrastructure ArchitectsWA
- FTSenior Java DeveloperNSW
- CCArcSight Security Engineer - Contract - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- FTLevel 2 Service DeskNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - CRMVIC
- FTLevel 3 EngineerNSW
- TPDigital Business Analyst | AgileQLD
- TPSenior Business Analyst - Travel and Expense Management SystemQLD
- FT.NET CMS DeveloperWA
- CCNetwork Architect / Lead Network EngineerACT
- TPTechnical Change AnalystQLD
- CCSOA Oracle DeveloperNSW
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Finance ConsultantACT
- FTTechnical Account ManagerNSW
- CCMid-level Java Developer / Programmer (Contract) Finance CBDNSW
- TPAndroid DeveloperSA
- FTTechnology Testing Services ManagerQLD
- FTDevOps EngineerNSW
- CCTechnical WriterNSW
- CCChange Analyst- O365 Upgrade ProjectQLD
- CCCapacity and Performance Analyst - Mainframe - Z SystemsVIC
- FTDevOps EngineerNSW