IBM will sell the semiconductor technologies unit that makes its Power processors to GlobalFoundries, paying the chip manufacturer about US$1.3 billion to take two factories off its hands in a move to save money.
Under pressure to boost margins, IBM is set to make what it calls a "major business announcement" Monday morning, raising the possibility that it has finalized a deal to transfer chip-making operations to GlobalFoundries.
Samsung is partnering with chip manufacturer GlobalFoundries to increase the supply of low-power, high-speed chips for smartphones and tablets.
GlobalFoundries, a contract chip manufacturer that works closely with semiconductor companies, appointed former Motorola Mobility CEO Sanjay Jha as its chief executive Monday.
The U.S. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency and a consortium of top semiconductor companies are handing out US$194 million to universities for research that addresses the physical limitations of semiconductors and chips.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- If Tim Burton made a robot, this would be it
- Here's how NASCAR is digitizing race day
- Should Microsoft release a successor to Surface 3?
- Researchers steal data from a PC by controllng the noise from the fans
- The 'summer of AI' is here, this startup chief says
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSenior Architect, TechnologyNSW
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCEnvironment Manager - POSVIC
- CCMaster Scheduler - IT Infrastructure ProgramsNSW
- FTMobility Developer x 2 - iOS and Android positions available!NSW
- CCInside Sales Specialist / Customer Service - TelecommunicationsNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - Clinical SystemsSA
- FTIT Support Analyst (Renewal Contract)Asia
- CCAgile Business AnalystNSW
- FTSAP Solution Architect- Data Migration to SAP HR, payrollNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - Oracle Financials (Procure To Pay)NSW
- CCService Desk ConsultantVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Java/Oracle) 160603/AP/vmpAsia
- FTAutomation Test Engineer | C#/.Net focusNSW
- CCTechnical OfficerACT
- CCBusiness Analyst - Healthcare industryVIC
- FTTechnical Lead | Senior Java DeveloperNSW
- FTContent Manager - Migration projectNSW
- FTTechnical/Solutions ArchitectNSW
- CCScrum Master with Java development backgroundACT
- CCTechnical Content ProducerVIC
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTPractice Lead - InsuranceNSW
- FTSenior Manager Practice LeadNSW