IBM will sell the semiconductor technologies unit that makes its Power processors to GlobalFoundries, paying the chip manufacturer about US$1.3 billion to take two factories off its hands in a move to save money.
Under pressure to boost margins, IBM is set to make what it calls a "major business announcement" Monday morning, raising the possibility that it has finalized a deal to transfer chip-making operations to GlobalFoundries.
Samsung is partnering with chip manufacturer GlobalFoundries to increase the supply of low-power, high-speed chips for smartphones and tablets.
GlobalFoundries, a contract chip manufacturer that works closely with semiconductor companies, appointed former Motorola Mobility CEO Sanjay Jha as its chief executive Monday.
The U.S. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency and a consortium of top semiconductor companies are handing out US$194 million to universities for research that addresses the physical limitations of semiconductors and chips.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Cisco patch stops attackers from taking over TelePresence systems
- Foxtel announces delayed English Premier League coverage confounding Optus' live EPL coverage debacle
- Box launches a product just for government users
- Apple patches vulnerable OS X Git version that put developers at risk
- To go from IT to IoT, build on your skills
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSolution Architect - JULY STARTACT
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- FTSenior Enterprise Architect, Financial ServicesAsia
- FTGentrack ConsultantVIC
- FT.NET DeveloperWA
- CCProject Manager PMP RMP certified - NV1ACT
- CCICT Transformation Project Manager- University, Education bckgNSW
- FTProject Manager | Permanent role in Canberra | NV1/2 clearedACT
- CCSolutions Architect - Network and InfrastructureNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager - Workforce ManagementVIC
- CCInteraction & Visual - Web DesignerNSW
- FTNetwork ConsultantNSW
- CCWeb AdministratorACT
- FTTechnical Writer - Trading SystemsNSW
- FTData AnalystNSW
- CCVMWare ConsultantWA
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCContract IT Assistant (Network & System Mgt.) 160509/ITA/281Asia
- FTSolution Delivery Manager ( RTTM)NSW
- CCRemedy AdministratorNSW
- CCTest Execution ManagerVIC
- FTOIM Specialist- Oracle Identity and Access Management 11Gr2NSW
- CCData AnalystVIC
- FTChange Lead- DigitalVIC
- CCSenior Enterprise Architect - eCommerceVIC