As Nokia takes on Google with turn-by-turn voice navigation on select smartphones, the worst nightmares of GPS device makers are coming true.
GPS navigation using mobile phones and smartphones is nothing new, but Apple's popular iPhone has made it much more common. With its built-in GPS receiver and a dedicated GPS navigation app, an iPhone can be used as a handy portable navigation unit.
Do you remember where you were the day they unveiled Facebook? No? How about Twitter? Amazon.com? Google Search?
We've been down this road before: A trusting soul gets bum directions from a GPS navigation system, winds up in the middle of nowhere, and may or may not survive the ordeal.
The story of a Nevada couple, who followed their GPS unit's directions and ended up stuck in snow for three days, reminds us that we, not the GPS, are responsible for where we drive. But, there are still things GPS makers could and should do that mig...
With Christmas just around the corner, now is the time to start your long shopping list. We can hear you gritting your teeth already -- we hate the Christmas shopping crowds too. So why not beat the retail rush and grab a great bargain by shopping on...
We may not have the Black Friday specials seen in the US, but we've rounded up some great bargains including budget GPS devices from TomTom and a great deal on the Nokia Navigator smart phone. Plus we unearth savings on HP's quality inkjet multifunct...
An impressive feature of Google's new Android 2.0 mobile device operating system is Google Maps Navigation, a that's not only free to use, but is fairly easy to learn as well.
Have you ever wondered why many people refuse to ask for directions but are completely at ease with using a GPS navigation device? Is it the fact that a GPS unit won't judge them for not knowing their way around? Is it because a GPS unit won't snigge...
GPS navigation using mobile phones, smartphones and even some personal media players is nothing new. Thanks to built-in GPS receivers and software, these devices can guide you to your destination using maps that are downloaded on the go or included o...
The root of America's health crisis is bad habits formed in childhood. To protect children from harm, parents are keeping kids indoors, where they get sick, watch TV and form lifelong habits of screen addiction, inactivity and junk-food overeating.
Does your dad pride himself on being a great driver? He probably thinks that he knows his way around town without a street directory. No matter whether he’s a top driver (or thinks he may be), he isn't as directionally capable as a GPS unit!
TomTom's new GPS navigation application for the iPhone may sound appealing, but it's true cost and capabilities are still a mystery. The app costs $100 and allows the iPhone to function as a real-time navigation device that provides turn-by-turn dire...
The new TomTom app that turns an iPhone into a turn-by-turn GPS navigation system spells the beginning of the end for standalone GPS. Not everywhere, but at least on dashboards, where a smartphone can now do everything a GPS can do and cost less than...
An 11-year-old boy is dead, and too much dependence on GPS may be partly to blame.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 2 Sony Xperia XZ review: turbo-charged last-gen phone
- 3 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 4 Sony X9300D and X8500D UHD 4K TV review
- 5 Moto X Force review: Leading features from a mid-range phone
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Physical RAM attack can root Android and possibly other devices
- Chinese firm recalls camera products linked to massive DDOS attack
- Not robocop, but robojudge? AI learns to rule in human rights cases
- French surveillance law is unconstitutional after all, highest court says
- WikiLeaks says it doesn’t collaborate with states
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- Japan Robot, gadget and car expo slideshow
- Panasonic DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review: Best all-round TV ever?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCContract Junior Programmer (Internet/ Intranet) 161025/JP/vhaAsia
- CCQA Test Lead- Digital, Mobile, UX, AGILE, CloudNSW
- FTSenior .Net Software EngineerVIC
- CCTechnology TrainerNSW
- FTNetwork Support SpecialistACT
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Oracle/Unix/WebLogic) 161020/SA/693Asia
- CCApplications Support Technical OfficerACT
- FTJava Script, Frontend Developer- DynamoDB or MongoDBNSW
- CCProject Manager - Payroll SystemsSA
- CC.Net DeveloperWA
- FTProduct ManagerVIC
- FTBusiness Analyst - HKMAAsia
- FTProject Manager - FinanceNSW
- CCNetwork Designer/ConsultantVIC
- FTBiomedical Project ManagerSA
- CCProject AnalystVIC
- FTFront End DeveloperSA
- CCInformation Security Consultant - RSA ArcherNSW
- FTSystems Engineer | Defence & Federal Govt | NV1 / NV2 clearanceACT
- CCDevOps/Automation EngineerNSW
- FTWeb DeveloperNSW
- FTDelivery LeadNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCDemand ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystVIC