Software patents, facing new scrutiny in the U.S., drive innovation and protect huge investments by developers, representatives of software companies said during a Capitol Hill briefing.
IBM is making a renewed push into the burgeoning market for all things mobile, saying it can help its corporate customers grow revenue and become more competitive through mobile app development.
Dell can trump Cisco in the information-technology security market, say Dell's executives in describing how the company with its multifaceted approach will hold an edge against some powerful rivals that also include HP and IBM.
IBM's Watson supercomputer has gone from game show king to doctor's office helper.
The head of IBM's mainframe group is looking to bring mobile and social workloads into the platform in another move that would help the mainframe stay relevant and fend off competition from lower-cost systems.
IBM kills Lotus name, but software, key players, live on
IBM's Watson supercomputer outperformed humans in the televised game show "Jeopardy." Now the company is moving some of its underlying technologies from the supercomputer into new entry-level servers.
Adding more performance management muscle to its line of analysis software and services, IBM is acquiring the software assets of Star Analytics.
IBM will launch before mid-year several new and improved collaboration and communication products, including a new suite for human resources tasks and a major upgrade of its Connections enterprise social networking product.
Despite Microsoft's quarterly profit decline and Apple's fall Friday from its position as the world's most highly valued company, this week's wave of earnings reports was strong, boosting markets to highs not seen since before the recession.
Making the most of a sluggish world economy, IBM managed to increase its net income by 5 percent in 2012, even though revenue shrank by 2 percent.
The U.S. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency and a consortium of top semiconductor companies are handing out US$194 million to universities for research that addresses the physical limitations of semiconductors and chips.
IBM has always been bullish on patents and 2012 proved to be no exception. IBM once again amassed more patents than any other company in a single year, a distinction it has enjoyed for the past 20 years.
SAP's flagship Business Suite ERP (enterprise resource planning) software is now able to run on top of the vendor's HANA in-memory database, in a move that stands to open new frontiers of competition with the likes of Oracle, IBM and Microsoft.
U.S. authorities have charged a former research analyst at a financial services firm with insider trading offenses related to the 2009 acquisition of software vendor SPSS by IBM.
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Lexar® Portable SSD
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Acer Swift 7
Huawei Mate 9
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Google Daydream VR headset
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Surface Pro 4
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- The new BlackBerry has a physical keyboard and will arrive in April
- Uber rejects claims it stole Waymo's self-driving car tech
- Microsoft Store has slashed the Asus ZenBook Flip's price by $200
- Google discloses unpatched IE vulnerability after Patch Tuesday delay
- FCC puts the brakes on ISP privacy rules it just passed in October
PCW Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCLevel 1/2 SAP Support AnalystACT
- CCTest LeadQLD
- FTSenior Functional Consultant - Data Analytics - TelcoVIC
- TPImplementation Business Partner - Business ModernisationNSW
- CCNetwork Specialist - IPAM TelcoVIC
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerVIC
- TPMobile DeveloperWA
- CCSolution Architect - Financial applicationsVIC
- FTTechnical Consultant - SQL Server programming skillsACT
- FTDeveloper/ ProgrammerSA
- FTDeveloper - XML & JavaVIC
- TPOrganisational Change ManagerQLD
- CCApplication Services Administrator (Linux)NSW
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperNSW
- TPTechnical Business Analyst - DigitalQLD
- TP.Net DeveloperSA
- FTJunior Software Engineer - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)NSW
- CCSecurity Analyst - multiple rolesACT
- TPDigital Process Business Analyst - Digital Transformation**NSW
- CCMarketing SpecialistNSW
- TPSolution Architect - Transport DomainVIC
- TPOracle Consultant - CC&BQLD
- FTDigital Strategist - Global Consulting FirmACT
- TPSCCM SpecialistVIC
- FTSenior Web DeveloperNSW