Fujitsu has paid £800 million (US$1.2 billion) into its pension funds for current and former U.K. employees, and renegotiated cuts to ongoing pension contributions, freeing up cash to grow other areas of its U.K. business, the company said Monday.
Sharp will postpone a US$60 million investment from Qualcomm that was to come this month, after the two companies were unable to establish test production of a new type of low-power display for mobile devices.
Qualcomm has a big, well-funded research and development operation, but its program for commercializing new innovations is still a learning experience for the wireless chip maker.
Taiwan's Foxconn Technology Group said it was still negotiating a deal for greater cooperation with Sharp, despite the Japanese display maker securing a US$110 million investment to supply LCD panels to rival Samsung Electronics.
Japan's Sharp has secured a US$110 million lifeline investment from Samsung Electronics, and agreed to become a major supplier of screens for the South Korean company's growing electronics empire.
While some of the most successful consumer Internet companies are capturing the headlines today, more than 70 per cent of venture exits in the last two years valued at over $500 million have been in the enterprise sector.
Intel Capital has invested in software-defined networking company Big Switch Networks, as it hopes to help the company change the way data centers are networked.
Former Atari Interactive CEO Frédéric Chesnais has decided to take a 25.23% stake in the company in a bid to save it from bankruptcy, Atari announced on Tuesday.
Hailo, the U.K.-based developer of taxi-hailing mobile apps, has landed fresh investment from KDDI, one of Japan's largest mobile operators.
AT&T will buy mobile spectrum in the 700MHz band from Verizon Communications for US$1.9 billion, AT&T said Friday.
Virtualization software provider VMware has invested US$30 million in Puppet Labs, which makes a widely used, open-source operations management software package called Puppet.
Japan's Softbank has sold off a large portion of a local carrier it acquired just weeks ago, as it looked to assuage fears over its expanded control of Japan's wireless spectrum.
Cisco Systems and NXP Semiconductors have both invested in connected car equipment vendor Cohda Wireless, as they look to make the Internet of things a reality and take a piece of a quickly growing market.
A number of signs suggest that next year will see a surge in tech companies selling off assets and product lines for both financial and strategic reasons, according to a recent report by consulting firm PricewaterhouseCoopers.
Taiwanese manufacturing giant Foxconn Electronics said it could integrate more camera features into its devices after making a US$200 million investment in a U.S. company that makes cameras for action sports enthusiasts.
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 3 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 4 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 5 MSI GS70 laptop review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- GoDaddy offers $1.8 billion for Host Europe
- Cisco Meraki sees the hotel of the future in its new Wi-Fi gear
- Tell-tale toys open bedroom door to strangers, consumer groups warn
- Surface Book i7 vs. MacBook Pro: Fight!
- Microsoft's new Zo chatbot dodges politics, doesn't always make sense
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- TV of the year award 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCSenior UX/UI DesignerVIC
- FTTraining CoordinatorNSW
- FTAPI DeveloperVIC
- CCTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- FTSoftware DeveloperQLD
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCGuidewire ArchitectNSW
- FTCustomer Support/Helpdesk Support SpecialistQLD
- FTLevel 2 Service Desk AnalystQLD
- FTDigital Delivery and Engagement OfficersVIC
- TPSenior Project Manager - Wealth/ AdviceNSW
- CCWeb Designer or Visual Interactional DesignerNSW
- TPCloud DevOps EngineerVIC
- CCIT Project ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Visual DesignerVIC
- CCMainframe Developer (with ASP.NET)ACT
- CCSenior Project AnalystNSW
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- CCProject Manager / Business Analyst - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCSenior Agile Java/Spring/AngularJS Software EngineerNSW
- FTSecurity ConsultantQLD
- CCSenior Project Coordinator - Banking/Financial ServicesNSW
- CCExchange EngineerNSW
- FTSecurity Delivery Manager l Security, Governance, Delivery & OperationNSW
- FTiOS Developer - Permanent Opportunity!NSW