Apple reported an unusual misstep in the April-to-June quarter, selling fewer iPhones than analysts had been expecting, but it wasn't all bad news from Cupertino.
Eight years since its debut, Apple's iPhone has changed and conquered the smartphone market. Here are some interesting facts you might not know about the iPhone.
Apple sells about 20 percent of the world's smartphones and makes 92 percent of the industry's profit, a staggering imbalance that reflects the premium prices Cupertino can ask for its phones compared to competitors like HTC and Samsung.
Production is said to be underway for the next iPhone models, and it looks like the new version's big selling point will be Force Touch.
iPhone dongles can do everything from high-speed data transfers to testing for HIV.
The world's largest smartphone market, China, isn't so hungry for the products anymore.
Xiaomi led China's smartphone market as its biggest vendor for the third straight quarter. But Apple is closing in, thanks to demand for its iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, and may even overtake Xiaomi this year.
Designed by Apple in California - that nod to its home state has appeared on Apple products for years, but increasingly, Apple's gadgets are being sold far from its Cupertino headquarters.
Apple achieved its second straight quarter of record results as demand for the new iPhone 6 surged and China became Apple's second most important market after the U.S.
Apple is looking to eliminate the long lines that form outside its retail stores on product launch days.
Samsung has taken issue with a stress test that showed the Galaxy Edge S6's frame bending and screen cracking under applied pressure, saying a smartphone wouldn't experience such force in normal use.
Apple has quietly launched a trade-in program to let Chinese customers exchange their old iPhones and iPads for the latest devices, which could help promote adoption of its upcoming Apple Pay and Apple Watch.
A federal court has dismissed a lawsuit against Apple over the amount of storage available in mobile devices that come with iOS 8.
Strong interest in the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus helped Apple sell more smartphones than Samsung in the fourth quarter of 2014.
Some Apple products may be banned from sale in the U.S. if Ericsson gets its way after filing a barrage of patent lawsuits.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 2 Sony Xperia XZ review: turbo-charged last-gen phone
- 3 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 4 Sony X9300D and X8500D UHD 4K TV review
- 5 Moto X Force review: Leading features from a mid-range phone
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- U.S. indicts Russian for hacking LinkedIn, Dropbox, Formspring
- An IoT botnet is partly behind Friday's massive DDOS attack
- Bankers plan to give Corda blockchain code to Hyperledger project
- Easy-to-exploit rooting flaw puts Linux computers at risk
- Intel asserts its trademark rights against John McAfee
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- Japan Robot, gadget and car expo slideshow
- Panasonic DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review: Best all-round TV ever?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCDesktop Support AnalystNSW
- CCBusiness Process Specialist/AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerACT
- FTJava Script, Frontend Developer- DynamoDB or MongoDBNSW
- CCWindows EngineerACT
- FTDigital Optimisation and Analytics SpecialistNSW
- CCSAP Release & Deployment ManagerNSW
- FTNetwork Support SpecialistACT
- CCService Desk ConsultantTAS
- FTDelivery LeadNSW
- CCSenior Developer - C++/Perl/PythonNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (IT Security/Admin.) 161014/SA/253Asia
- FTScrum MasterNSW
- FTUX Design LeadNSW
- CCIT Senior Systems Administrator- Server Patching RemediationNSW
- CCNetwork AdministratorVIC
- CCJava Developers - Federal Government experienceNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE/Oracle) 161031/AP/512Asia
- CCUnix Project LeadNSW
- CCSenior Java Developer-Java SE 8, HTTP APIs, Protocol BuffersNSW
- FTSolution Delivery ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Siebel Business AnalystACT
- CCSystem TestersQLD
- FTHands-on Service Desk Team LeadNSW