The U.S. National Security Agency should abandon its collection of U.S. telephone records because the surveillance program is illegal, a government privacy oversight board said.
Proposals in Congress to end the National Security Agency's bulk collection of U.S. telephone records would compromise the agency's ability to find and track terrorists, representatives of the intelligence community said Monday.
A U.S. government board focused on privacy and civil rights should push Congress to rein in the U.S. National Security Agency's mass collection of telephone records and Internet communications, privacy advocates said Tuesday.
A new bill introduced in the U.S. Senate would update a 25-year-old law that sets the rules for law enforcement surveillance of e-mail and other electronic communications, with more legal protections for the privacy of data stored in the cloud.
A 24-year-old law setting the rules on how law enforcement agencies can obtain electronic records needs to be updated because it's out of step with modern technology and privacy expectations, U.S. Senator Patrick Leahy said Wednesday.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 2 Sony Xperia XZ review: turbo-charged last-gen phone
- 3 Sony X9300D and X8500D UHD 4K TV review
- 4 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 5 Moto X Force review: Leading features from a mid-range phone
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Apple sales, profits fall again but a brighter outlook ahead
- AWS quietly launches tool for migrating on-premesis apps to the cloud
- Intel wants to make its IoT chips see, think, and act
- Workstation software flaw exposes industrial control systems to hacking
- Critical account creation flaws patched in popular Joomla CMS
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- Japan Robot, gadget and car expo slideshow
- Panasonic DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review: Best all-round TV ever?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTService Desk AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Technical Specialist SQL & Sybase DBAVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Oracle/Unix/WebLogic) 161020/SA/693Asia
- FTSenior UX DesignerAsia
- CCBusiness Analyst - Commercial LinesVIC
- CCMultiple Defence Opportunities - NV2SA
- FTProgram SchedulerNSW
- CCTechnical Business Analyst - Wealth/Super backgroundNSW
- CCNetwork and Security Design EngineerNSW
- FTSystems SpecialistNSW
- CCProject Manager - Payroll SystemsSA
- FTGateway ManagerACT
- CCDevOps/Automation EngineerNSW
- CCSiebel Technical Integration SpecialistACT
- TPBusiness Analyst/Data Analytics ConsultantVIC
- FTBizTalk Developer X3VIC
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Finance ConsultantQLD
- FTLinux AdministratorNSW
- CCContract IT Assistant (UNIX/Windows) 161028/ITA/003Asia
- FTERP Technical Consultant (Dynamics AX)QLD
- CCSenior Digital DesignerNSW
- FTBiomedical Project ManagerSA
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Windows Server) 161031/AP/962Asia
- FTSolutions Architect - Microsoft TechnologiesNSW