Intel is cutting 12,000 jobs worldwide as the company restructures operations to diversify from PCs into growth areas of IoT and servers.
Yahoo will cut 15 percent of its workforce and close some online services in a major turnaround plan announced Tuesday.
Hewlett-Packard Co. today said it is cutting 9,000 jobs, but also plans to hire 6,000 new workers as part of shift to highly automated data centers that rely less on people with hands-on IT skills and more on those with sales and delivery expertise.
Hewlett-Packard has announced plans to cut 9,000 jobs as it restructures its enterprise services business and automates the services it offers enterprise customers.
CA is planning to cut about 1000 jobs, or roughly 7.7 percent of its workforce, according to a document filed Tuesday with the US Securities & Exchange Commission.
Siemens has announced the cull of 4200 jobs worldwide from its IT business.
Vodafone is cutting 375 jobs, primarily in back office functions, starting this month. The news follows several days of speculative reports that layoffs were ahead.
On the eve of President Barack Obama's State of the Union address Wednesday, a speech that's expected to focus on the need for jobs, the nation's largest engineering association is warning that the latest jobs data is "discouraging" for engineering.
Microsoft is laying off another 800 people, adding to the 5,000 the company has already let go this year.
Sun Microsystems will lay off up to 3,000 workers over the next 12 months as Oracle awaits approval from European regulators for its acquisition of the company.
Forty-six percent of North American IT shops are planning to cut positions this year, up from 24 percent last year, with one-quarter planning to slash staff by 10 percent or more, according to a newly released study by Computer Economics.
IT services firm CSC is the latest in a string of technology companies including IBM, Dell and HP to lay-off staff amid the global economic crisis.
Dell on Wednesday said it had laid off staff at different sites worldwide in an effort to cut costs and streamline operations.
Nokia is closing its R&D site in Jyväskylä, Finland. In the process about 320 employees will be laid off. The company is also making temporary cuts at its production facility in Salo, it announced on Wednesday.
ninemsn is the latest technology venture to feel the effects of the financial recession with the organisation announcing job cuts today.
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 3 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 4 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Lavabit developer has a new encrypted, end-to-end email protocol
- Apple sues Qualcomm over patent licensing and $1B in payments
- New details emerge about Intel's super-small Euclid computer for robots
- Microsoft will soon end Office 2013 distribution through Office 365
- Researchers propose a way to use your heartbeat as a password
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTBrand Marketing Manager - Premium Entertainment BrandNSW
- TPTest AnalystQLD
- CCSystem Engineer - AdelaideWA
- FTCheckpoint Firewall and VPNNSW
- CCAutomation Test Analyst - Geospatial and Industrial EnterpriseVIC
- CCIT Risk Specialist (Assurance) - TelcoVIC
- CCSecurity AnalystACT
- TPSenior Test Analyst - DETEQLD
- CCOrganisational Change ManagerACT
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperVIC
- TPPL/SQL DeveloperNSW
- FTTechnical Consultant MS Dynamics AXNSW
- FTLevel 3 EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Linux Systems AdministratorNSW
- TPSenior Business Analyst - Travel and Expense Management SystemQLD
- CCLead DevOps Architect l AWS- Cloud- Linux- Puppet Ansible- JIRA-DatadogNSW
- FTSalesforce Technical Business AnalystQLD
- CCProject Manager - Location Management Program - TelcoVIC
- FTSenior AEM Consultant - Public SectorACT
- FTTechnical Consultant/Systems AnalystQLD
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager - Financial Planning - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTSenior Learning Specialist - Global OrganisationQLD
- FTBusiness Development Manager - IT SolutionsNSW
- TPICT Project CoordinatorQLD