Microsoft is helping hardware makers build low-priced Windows PCs to combat Chromebooks and the early results of that effort are hitting the market.
Intel is taking more steps to provide what it calls "wire-free" computing by 2016, a plan the company first talked about publicly in June at the Computex trade show.
Taiwanese PC maker Acer is bringing Google's Chrome operating system to desktops with a new unit that will arrive in the U.S. next month.
Acer is cranking up graphics in its latest Chromebook 13, a 13.3-inch laptop that has an processor capable of rendering 4K video.
Hewlett-Packard's SlateBook 14 laptop with the Android OS has started shipping on schedule, but it's priced at US$429, which is $30 more than the company had said it would cost.
Apple has refreshed the MacBook Pro line with minor upgrades of the processor, a small price cut to the aged non-Retina model, and additional RAM for the least-expensive Retina configurations.
Apple reported its quarterly numbers on Tuesday, a mixed bag that saw profits rise up but sales fall short of the mark. Here are five takeaways from the earnings call that followed.
Apple has racked up another hugely profitable quarter on sales of iPhones and Macintosh computers, though its revenue growth was slower than expected.
Lenovo has stopped selling Windows tablets with screen sizes under 10 inches in the U.S. due to lack of interest.
Vizio's two-year run in the PC market has hit a wall, and its existing laptops, desktops and tablets are quickly disappearing as the company re-evaluates its product mix.
Dell's only Chromebook is at least temporarily unavailable for online purchase through the company's website, only seven months after the model started shipping.
Toshiba is not the only company selling a 4K laptop anymore; Lenovo has finally shipped its first 4K laptop, sporting a 5.6-inch screen, after months of delays.
Acer is cranking up the speed of Chromebooks with the first models featuring Intel's Core i3 processor.
Upgrades from Windows XP PCs to newer computers during the second quarter perked up the PC market, which inched closer to positive quarterly shipment growth.
Microsoft's Windows OS could play a crucial rule in returning worldwide PC shipments to modest growth next year after multiple years of decline, according to Gartner.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Upgrading to SAP Hana? This new tool can help prepare your code
- The eyes have it: How one startup aims to change the future of VR
- Gaming on Linux, Steam machines set to soar with DirectX competitor Vulkan
- Google didn't abuse its position in Streetmap case, UK court rules
- New Chromebook won't break with 365-pound person standing on it
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- FTTechnical Consultant - ApplicationsSA
- CCITIL Release Manager - CBD SYDNEYNSW
- FTSenior Business ConsultantNSW
- CCWeb DeveloperNSW
- CCEnterprise Systems Infrastructure SpecialistNSW
- FTSenior Mobile Developer - IOSNSW
- CCSolution Architect - .NET TechnologiesNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Digital -PenrithNSW
- FTSystems Administrator/Engineer | Projects & BAU | Coastal Newcastle NSWWA
- FTVB6 DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Wintel EngineerNSW
- CCInfrastructure ConsultantNSW
- CCWindows System Admin, Administrator, Technical SupportNSW
- CCJira Administrator - Western SydneyNSW
- CCProgram Master SchedulerNSW
- CCOracle Applications Projects Functional ConsultantSA
- CCSecurity Consultant/Analyst (Data Loss Prevention)WA
- FTServer EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager, Research Data ProjectNSW
- FTChange LeadNSW
- CCBilling Assistant / AdministrationACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle/UNIX) 160203/AP/381Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (MS.Net/Visual Basic) 160129/AP/vtdAsia
- CCSenior Project Manager - ComplianceVIC