Scientists at the Large Hadron Collider succeeded today in smashing two particle beams into each other at an energy level three and a half times greater than ever achieved before.
The world's largest atom smasher has broken yet another record.
After billions of dollars were spent to build, start, shut down and then fix and re-start the Large Hadron Collider, the system has finally produced enough data for some long-awaited scientific analysis.
CERN, the European particle physics organization that runs the Large Hadron Collider, is embracing server virtualization and cloud computing technology to improve CPU utilization and the delivery of computing resources to scientists around the world.
After a year of technical problems, bad publicity and staggered momentum, the Large Hadron Collider has returned to work with a vengeance.
A plan to add more safety features to the Large Hadron Collider will have the world's largest particle collider offline until next fall -- months later than the previously planned springtime relaunch.
Fixing problems at the world's largest particle collider won't come cheap.
Just days after a faulty transformer was repaired, an apparent melted electrical connection between two magnets has brought the Large Hadron Collider down for two months.
An MIT physics professor said it was completely normal that one of the hundreds of transformers failed a day after the Large Hadron Collider's first test last week.
South West Sydney is choking on a thick radiation cloud after the Lucas Heights reactor exploded, according to spammers.
The successful test run of a massive particle collider brought scientists a step closer to finding answers to a question that has haunted people for centuries: How was the universe created?
Hackers have broken into the network of the Swiss particle-physics laboratory operating the Large Hadron Collider experiment that has just begun smashing atoms in the hope of finding the theorized Higgs particle, an elementary particle of mass.
Scientists completed the first tests of the Large Hadron Collider on Wednesday morning, far more quickly than they had expected.
An MIT physics professor and Nobel laureate has received death threats because of his involvement with the Large Hadron Collider, which performed the world's biggest physics experiment Wednesday.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Immigration Minister Peter Dutton becomes Creepy internet meme
- Sharepoint is going mobile this year with a new app
- IBM's quantum processor comes out of hiding
- Dick Smith closes doors for the last time (+4 photos)
- Google, Fiat Chrysler to collaborate on self-driving minivans
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCInfrastructure Assurance OfficerACT
- CCSenior DevOps ConsultantVIC
- CCProject Manager PMP RMP certified - NV1ACT
- CCJava Developer (front end)WA
- FTTechnical/Solutions ArchitectNSW
- CCTest AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Enterprise Architect, Financial ServicesAsia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160505/AP/951Asia
- CCBusiness Analyst, Loyalty projectsNSW
- CCSAP BW developerVIC
- CCChange Lead/Senior Change Analyst - Transformation projectNSW
- FTDeveloper - OSB/BPELNSW
- CCProject Coordinator (urgent) - Digital - Blue chip companyNSW
- FTTrading System QAAsia
- CCContract Contract Junior Programmer (JUD-16493-4)Asia
- CCBusiness AnalystSA
- FTDesktop SupportNSW
- CCIBM MDM SpecialistVIC
- FTFront End DeveloperSA
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle/Unix) 160509/AP/395Asia
- CCLead Administrator - Network and SecurityNSW
- CCOperational Team LeadVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Data ManagementNSW
- CCMid Range Developer (Senior .NET Developer)QLD
- CCBusiness Analyst - Digital/Financial ServicesNSW