Lenovo's website hack points to DNS weakness ... FTC asked to probe Samsung ... Facebook vet starts server analytics biz ... and more tech news
The redirection of both Lenovo's website and Google's main search page for Vietnam this week highlights weaknesses with the Internet's addressing system.
Lenovo's website appeared to have been hacked on Wednesday, possibly in retaliation for a piece of adware it installed on PCs that was found to have opened up a security hole.
New cases of insecure HTTPS traffic interception are coming to light as researchers probe software programs for implementations that could enable malicious attacks. The latest software to open a man-in-the-middle hole on users' PCs is a new version o...
Judge dismisses Google Android apps antitrust case ... Other apps use the same vulnerable technique as Superfish adware ... and more tech news
Lenovo admitted to pre-loading the Superfish adware on some consumer PCs, and unhappy customers are now dragging the company to court on the matter.
On Thursday security researchers warned that an adware program called Superfish, which was preloaded on some Lenovo consumer laptops, opened computers to attack. However, it seems that the same poorly designed and flawed traffic interception mechanis...
Spy agencies may have your phone’s encryption keys ... Re-engineering 4G for IoT... Hackers are still lurking in U.S. State Department network ... and more tech news.
Lenovo has admitted it "messed up badly" by pre-loading software on some consumer laptops that exposed users to possible attack, and said it will soon release a tool to remove it.
Major technology companies just can't help tampering with our web traffic to deliver advertising. Security researchers recently discovered that consumer-grade Lenovo computers ship with software called Superfish Visual Discovery that injects advertis...
Lenovo's been caught going a bit too far in its quest for bloatware money, and the results have put its users at risk. The company has been preloading Superfish, a "visual search" tool that includes adware that fakes the encryption certificates for e...
Some Windows laptops made by Lenovo come pre-loaded with an adware program that exposes users to security risks.
Facebook wants us all to create VR content ... Lenovo tests ARM server waters with prototype ... Big data vendors find common ground ... and more tech news
There's a growing interest in developing ARM servers as a power-efficient alternative to systems based on Intel's processors: Lenovo is the latest hardware vendor to test the concept with a prototype system.
Apple's iPhone 6 has been a hit in China, but according to one account, rival Xiaomi still reigns as the country's largest smartphone vendor.
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 3 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 4 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 5 MSI GS70 laptop review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Intel, Microsoft going long distance with Cortana on Windows 10 PCs
- Obama orders review of election hacks as Trump doubts Russia's role
- Ransomware attacks against businesses increased threefold in 2016
- Attackers use hacked home routers to hit Russia's 5 largest banks
- US mulls rules for airlines that plan in-flight Wi-Fi voice calls
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCAgile TesterNSW
- FTWeb Developer/ DesignerNSW
- FTService Lifecycle Management RepresentativeVIC
- CCSystems Engineer -SOE/VDIACT
- TPSenior Project AnalystNSW
- TPProject Manager - SAPQLD
- CCSales Support AssociateNSW
- CCSecurity Architect Finance Contract Sydney CBDNSW
- TPSAP HR Payroll Functional ConsultantQLD
- CCSenior Integration DeveloperSA
- FTAPI DeveloperNSW
- FTChief Security Officer l CISSP l ISO27001NSW
- CCConsumer Social Specialist (Digital)VIC
- CCProject ManagerWA
- FTSolutions Architect - Data Centre/ NetworkQLD
- FTSolutions Architect - Data Centre/ NetworkSA
- FTPractice AdvisorVIC
- TPSenior Engineer-UNIXVIC
- FTTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- FTDevelopment Manager / Engineering Manager - Canberra RoleACT
- CCWeb AnalystNSW
- CCEOI - TIBCO DeveloperQLD
- CCProject Manager / Business Analyst - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCAgile Iteration ManagerNSW
- FTService Desk Analyst / Security EngineerQLD