IBM is looking to boost its mainframe business with a Linux push that includes new hardware, software and the founding of the Open Mainframe Project. The company is also contributing mainframe code to the open source community.
Some of the biggest names in IT and online services have banded together to standardize the way applications are run in the cloud.
A group dedicated to averting another Heartbleed-style vulnerability is narrowing down a list of critical open source projects that will receive its funding and support.
Paradoxically for a platform intended to automate cloud service deployment, a major obstacle to wider adoption of OpenStack is a lack of qualified staff, speakers and attendees at the OpenStack Summit in Paris said Monday.
Will smartwatches and cars give the Tizen OS the traction it hasn't gotten in smartphones? The OS's backers are getting their hopes up in advance of a developer conference next week.
Getting a jump on competing hypervisors, the open source Xen is preparing for the day when ARM processors will run virtual machines.
Home appliances, cars and computers could soon be talking to one another thanks to an open source framework that has the backing of consumer electronics manufacturers in a new industry alliance.
In a move that could add momentum to game development on Linux, game maker Valve has joined the Linux Foundation and will contribute tools for developers to work with its SteamOS.
Linux operating system creator Linus Torvalds has proposed that Linux 4.0, an upcoming release of the open-source software, should be dedicated to stability and bug fixing.
To avoid legal difficulties when managing intellectual property for open source projects, more tech savvy lawyers are needed, according to the Linux Foundation.
The Open Virtualization Alliance has joined the Linux Foundation as a collaborative project to deepen its ties with the Linux community.
Although not originally designed for telephones or tablets, the Linux kernel is now getting more contributions than ever from mobile and portable device vendors, whose input is driving a heretofore unseen rate of development for the open source proje...
Linux developers were once just that, developers. But their role is changing says the Linux Foundation, which is expanding its training options to help them.
In an effort to attract a more diverse set of contributors, enterprise software vendor Citrix has donated its open source Xen hypervisor to the Linux Foundation.
Software-defined networking, a set of technologies to help networks better adapt to user needs with less manual effort, may at last be getting the common foundation it has needed for interoperability and efficient development.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- If Tim Burton made a robot, this would be it
- Here's how NASCAR is digitizing race day
- Should Microsoft release a successor to Surface 3?
- Researchers steal data from a PC by controllng the noise from the fans
- The 'summer of AI' is here, this startup chief says
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSenior IT Automated TesterNSW
- FTFront End .Net Developer (.Net / Angular / Bootstrap)NSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - Oracle Financials (Procure To Pay)NSW
- FTEnvironment ManagerVIC
- CCSAP BASIS ConsultantVIC
- FTNetwork EngineerNSW
- CCProgrammer (IT Security/Website Administration) 160711/P/565Asia
- CCWindows 2003-2012 R2 Active Directory Consultant/ManagerNSW
- CCMulesoft Integration DeveloperWA
- CCService Desk ConsultantVIC
- CCField Network Engineer - GSM Networks.VIC
- CCBusiness System Analyst - FinanceVIC
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCRuby on Rails DeveloperNSW
- FTTechnical/Solutions ArchitectNSW
- CCSharePoint AdministratorNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE/JAVA/SQL) 160621/AP/082Asia
- FTStorage ConsultantACT
- CCTechnical Writer | Experimental military technology | NV1ACT
- CCOracle iLearning Business AnalystNSW
- CCProgram Controls ManagerACT
- CCSenior Applications SpecialistQLD
- CCSAP PI/PO ConsultantVIC
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- CCApplication Support Analyst and Database AdministratorVIC