Freeing the way for independent Linux distributions to be installed on Windows 8 computers, the Linux Foundation has released software that will allow Linux to work with computers running the UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) firmware.
Alan Cox, one of the chief contributors to the Linux kernel, has taken a step down from his volunteer duties, citing the need to attend to family matters.
Applications written for Meego netbooks will work on devices running Tizen, the new Linux-based mobile OS project from Intel and Samsung, but Meego apps written for smartphones won't work on Tizen devices, Intel said.
Linux Foundation and Limo Foundation are rebooting their efforts to compete with Apple and the Android camp by merging MeeGo and Limo into a new operating system called Tizen, with the backing of Intel and Samsung.
A software platform developed for TVs by the Meego open-source community, expected next month, will allow service providers to combine pay TV, app stores and consumer home content in one set-top box.
Supporters of the MeeGo open-source platform put tablets, in-car systems and TV in the spotlight at a conference in San Francisco on Monday, saying the technology had broad potential while downplaying its role in smartphones.
April has turned out to be a stellar month for Linux.
Facebook, HP, Rackspace, Juniper, Fujitsu and dozens of other organizations have joined a group building a defensive patent portfolio to protect Linux-using members from potential lawsuits.
IBM may have made the open source Linux OS a staple of its software line, but the company is keeping its own DB2 database proprietary, a company official said on Wednesday afternoon.
The Linux Foundation on Wednesday kicked off what will be several months of celebrations in honor of the 20th anniversary of the Linux operating system with a range of festivities and events as well as key news announcements from three of its working...
The Linux Foundation on Wednesday&nbsp;will release version 5.0 of its Carrier Grade Linux (CGL) specification, which covers capabilities such as more reliable file systems and security. CGL 5.0 is intended to address a mature marketplace in whic...
The Linux Foundation has formed a new working group to speed development within the Linux ecosystem that would make the operating system kernel more suitable for building high-availability (HA) systems, the Foundation announced Wednesday.
Two decades after Linus Torvalds developed his famous operating system kernel, the battle between Linux and Microsoft is over and Linux has won, says Linux Foundation Executive Director Jim Zemlin.
The newest update to the Linux operating-system kernel features a number of enhancements that should offer a performance boost, particularly for running databases and other programs that require maximum resources from the server.
Whatever your opinion of Linux's desktop potential, few would dispute the value of the open source operating system in embedded devices such as mobile phones and personal media players. After all, it's fast, it's free, it's open source, it's customiz...
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Should Microsoft release a successor to Surface 3?
- Researchers steal data from a PC by controllng the noise from the fans
- The 'summer of AI' is here, this startup chief says
- A Raspberry Pi 3 competitor will boast an SSD storage slot
- Adblock Plus can't charge Axel Springer for whitelisting its ads
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCField Network Engineer - GSM Networks.VIC
- CCLevel 1 Helpdesk SupportNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst- BPMN, Testing backgroundNSW
- CCSenior Developer - AWS Cloud HSMNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Java/Oracle) 160603/AP/vmpAsia
- CCEngineering Lead - InfrastructureVIC
- FTNV2 Defence Project Manager | Canberra | Major exciting White Paper projectsACT
- CCSharepoint Developer | Air Force project | NV1 clearanceNSW
- CCSoftware & Hardware Asset Management - 2 rolesNSW
- CCSAP PI/PO ConsultantVIC
- CCSoftware Biomedical Solutions ArchitectSA
- CCLead UX DesignerNSW
- FTProject Coordinator / AdministratorNSW
- CCLead Communications ConsultantWA
- CCMicrosoft .NET Developer (Server and Applications)SA
- CCImplementation ManagerNSW
- CCTechnology and Security ArchitectACT
- CCApplication Support Analyst and Database AdministratorVIC
- CCIT Desktop Support- Travelling in NSW requiredNSW
- FTIT Service Desk AnalystNSW
- FTInfrastructure/Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCRelease & Configuration Manager | Defence intelligence application | NV1 clearedACT
- CCInside Sales Specialist / Customer Service - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCContract Junior Programmer (JAVA / SQL) 160621/JP/224Asia
- CCSystem AnalystACT