Freeing the way for independent Linux distributions to be installed on Windows 8 computers, the Linux Foundation has released software that will allow Linux to work with computers running the UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) firmware.
Alan Cox, one of the chief contributors to the Linux kernel, has taken a step down from his volunteer duties, citing the need to attend to family matters.
Applications written for Meego netbooks will work on devices running Tizen, the new Linux-based mobile OS project from Intel and Samsung, but Meego apps written for smartphones won't work on Tizen devices, Intel said.
Linux Foundation and Limo Foundation are rebooting their efforts to compete with Apple and the Android camp by merging MeeGo and Limo into a new operating system called Tizen, with the backing of Intel and Samsung.
A software platform developed for TVs by the Meego open-source community, expected next month, will allow service providers to combine pay TV, app stores and consumer home content in one set-top box.
Supporters of the MeeGo open-source platform put tablets, in-car systems and TV in the spotlight at a conference in San Francisco on Monday, saying the technology had broad potential while downplaying its role in smartphones.
April has turned out to be a stellar month for Linux.
Facebook, HP, Rackspace, Juniper, Fujitsu and dozens of other organizations have joined a group building a defensive patent portfolio to protect Linux-using members from potential lawsuits.
IBM may have made the open source Linux OS a staple of its software line, but the company is keeping its own DB2 database proprietary, a company official said on Wednesday afternoon.
The Linux Foundation on Wednesday kicked off what will be several months of celebrations in honor of the 20th anniversary of the Linux operating system with a range of festivities and events as well as key news announcements from three of its working...
The Linux Foundation on Wednesday&nbsp;will release version 5.0 of its Carrier Grade Linux (CGL) specification, which covers capabilities such as more reliable file systems and security. CGL 5.0 is intended to address a mature marketplace in whic...
The Linux Foundation has formed a new working group to speed development within the Linux ecosystem that would make the operating system kernel more suitable for building high-availability (HA) systems, the Foundation announced Wednesday.
Two decades after Linus Torvalds developed his famous operating system kernel, the battle between Linux and Microsoft is over and Linux has won, says Linux Foundation Executive Director Jim Zemlin.
The newest update to the Linux operating-system kernel features a number of enhancements that should offer a performance boost, particularly for running databases and other programs that require maximum resources from the server.
Whatever your opinion of Linux's desktop potential, few would dispute the value of the open source operating system in embedded devices such as mobile phones and personal media players. After all, it's fast, it's free, it's open source, it's customiz...
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Dropbox changed passwords after 68M accounts were compromised
- NBN raids: Senate refers seized material to privileges committee
- 16 TV buying tips that salespeople won’t tell you about
- Okta's API access product targets the trend toward services
- Corded headphones can now be wireless with Griffin's iTrip Clip Bluetooth adapter
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCBig Data SpecialistNSW
- CCSolutions Architect - Office 365/Sharepoint/Project OnlineQLD
- FTSenior Front End Developer (UX/UI)SA
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC
- CCProgram SchedulerVIC
- FTJava Tech Lead - Full StackNSW
- FTData AnalystsWA
- CCPersonal AssistantVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/MySQL) 160823/AP/172Asia
- CCFinance Analyst (Junior)VIC
- CCProject ManagerVIC
- CCData Centre Solutions Architect - Red Hat, Wintel & VMwareACT
- FTMicrosoft Enterprise Project Management - Technical ConsultantACT
- CCSenior Integration Specialist - IP NetworkVIC
- CCEmail Production SpecialistNSW
- CCTesting Resource ManagerVIC
- CCOracle DBA with Solaris experienceNSW
- CCSharepoint ArchitectACT
- CCETL DeveloperACT
- FTMicrosoft Solution ArchitectACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Unix/Linux/Web) 160819/AP/173Asia
- CCSolution Designer - Windows UpgradeNSW
- FTIT ManagerAsia
- FTSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCContract Junior Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160902/JP/709Asia