Introduce some minty freshness to your PC with the free Linux Mint 9 operating system, a variant of Ubuntu 10.04
MeeGo is an Intel-sponsored Linux distribution designed for netbooks
Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Lucid Lynx is the latest Linux operating system from Canonical, aimed at consumers. It's free, but is it sufficiently consumer friendly that you should switch from Windows?
Nokia's first Linux-based smartphone is impressive but lacks polish
Dell offers Ubuntu Netbook Remix as an option pre-installed for its Dell Inspiron Mini 10 netbook. But how well does UNR fare on other netbooks?
Linux in pictures
Love him or hate him, you have to admit that the founder of the free software movement isn’t shy about sharing his opinions on things he finds objectionable.
SUSE 12 is a broad set of Linux distributions ranging from desktop through enterprise level. We tested several instances and found them quite ready for enterprise use. All in all, SUSE 12 is a worthy competitor to Red Hat and Ubuntu in the enterprise Linux market.
Linux is everywhere, if you look for it.
What to expect in the world of Linux in the upcoming year.
One of the biggest Linux events of the year opened with a look at the social role of the largest open-source project in history, as well as Linux’s potential place in the history books.
On Wednesday, Microsoft released a version of its operating system that lets users try out Linux on Windows 10. Here's how to get it set up.
Running rm -rf / on Bash in Windows 10 won't fry Windows, though it will fry Bash.
Microsoft gave users their first big taste of new features in its Windows 10 Anniversary Update with a new beta build of its operating system released Wednesday.
You read that right: The popular Bash shell command is coming to Windows 10, with Ubuntu's help.
Reformatting and restoring a PC is not fun--in the way spending 2 hours in the dentist's chair is not fun. You have to back up all your data (and pray that you haven't forgotten anything), reformat the hard drive, install Windows, track down missing ...
With all the many compelling reasons for a company to switch to Linux on the desktop, it's no wonder that businesses large and small are increasingly relying on the free and open source operating system.
WARNING: Overclocking is not for the faint of heart. Do not attempt to hack your phone unless you understand and accept the risks of turning it into a useless "brick."
There are many ways that vendors of proprietary products try to scare business customers away from open source software, and one of the more commonly heard examples involves vague fears about compliance with open source licenses. There's nothing like...
With all the many reasons to use Linux today -- particularly in a business setting --it's often a relatively easy decision to give Windows the boot. What can be more difficult, however, is deciding which of the hundreds of Linux distributions out the...
There's never been a better time to give Linux a try on your PC. Here's why.
As usual, Microsoft is late to the party. But this isn't like all the other times that came before
Microsoft did its best to usher in a new era od desktop computing with the launch of Windows 8, but many businesses and individuals are opting out. Linux-based operating systems, meanwhile, present a more and more compelling alternative. Benefits inc...
If you're a Windows 7 user who wants to try out Linux for the first time, one of the easiest ways to do so is to install Ubuntu by using the Windows Ubuntu Installer, or Wubi for short. Using this installer, you can run Ubuntu on your Windows system ...
The Motorola Xoom was the most advanced tablet that we got to try out at Mobile World Congress. Other tablets, including the HTC Flyer, certainly look promising, but the Xoom is the launch device for the Google Android Honeycomb OS - the version of A...
Videos about Linux
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 3 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 4 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 5 MSI GS70 laptop review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft's "Holoportation" will virtually beam you into another room
- Russia claims it foiled a cyber attack from a foreign spy service
- Intel's silence on Optane SSDs raises questions about launch and focus
- Random iPhone 6s shutdowns due to faulty battery component, Apple says
- Researchers find a way bypass the iOS activation lock
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- TV of the year award 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTCitrix AdministratorNSW
- CCSenior Project Coordinator - Banking/Financial ServicesNSW
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerNSW
- TPBusiness Systems AnalystQLD
- FTDevOps EngineerQLD
- CCSAP PM/ MRS ConsultantVIC
- CCTest Lead : Perth BasedSA
- CCIT Systems AnalystACT
- CCTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- CCAPI DeveloperSA
- FTSenior Security and Risk ConsultantNSW
- CCIteration Manager / Scrum MasterNSW
- CCSAP HR & Payroll Project ManagerACT
- CCSales Support AssociateNSW
- CCFacilities Coordinator - Multiple RolesVIC
- CCAzure/Sharepoint DeveloperNSW
- CCProgram Manager BankingNSW
- CCProject Administrator-NSW
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperVIC
- CCTechnical Security LeadNSW
- CCIT Specialist - Application Blueprinting Engineer ( Developer)ACT
- FTPractice AdvisorQLD
- CCERP LeadWA
- CCHelp Desk Support Engineer - Finance/TradingNSW
- CCTest ManagerNSW