As usual, Microsoft is late to the party. But this isn't like all the other times that came before
Microsoft did its best to usher in a new era od desktop computing with the launch of Windows 8, but many businesses and individuals are opting out. Linux-based operating systems, meanwhile, present a more and more compelling alternative. Benefits inc...
If you're a Windows 7 user who wants to try out Linux for the first time, one of the easiest ways to do so is to install Ubuntu by using the Windows Ubuntu Installer, or Wubi for short. Using this installer, you can run Ubuntu on your Windows system ...
The Motorola Xoom was the most advanced tablet that we got to try out at Mobile World Congress. Other tablets, including the HTC Flyer, certainly look promising, but the Xoom is the launch device for the Google Android Honeycomb OS - the version of A...
There's no doubt Canonical's popular Ubuntu Linux distribution gets the majority of attention in the Linux world these days, but there are myriad others equally worthy of consideration.
Motorola announced the Atrix smartphone at the Consumer Electronics Show, and while many have been concentrating on its 4G connectivity and clever desktop dock that lets it run a cut-down Linux desktop on a full-sized monitor, nearly everybody has mi...
Were it not for Windows' long-standing installed base and overwhelming market dominance, it seems unlikely that anyone would argue seriously for the merit of the operating system, plagued as it is by high prices, security problems and vendor lock-in.
As the details of Samsung's Galaxy Tab are gradually revealed, it's becoming increasingly clear that many of the tablet's most desirable features derive from its use of Android--or Linux, that is--which, after all, is the basis for Google's winning m...
Google's patching of vulnerabilities in its open source Chrome Web browser last week wasn't so much notable in itself; Microsoft, to be sure, is forever issuing patches for the many bugs that afflict its products.
The Apple iOS, which runs on its iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad, has a flaw in how it reads PDF documents that makes it easier to hack. This flaw is exploited by JailbreakMe, a one-click site that makes it easy for anyone without any real tech skills t...
Despite the wealth of free applications out there, many small business owners continue to spend an inordinate amount of their all-too-scarce resources on software.
Not surprisingly, the misperception that Linux is harder to use than other operating systems is also one that competing vendors routinely use to scare potential new users away from Linux.
Mirror, mirror, on the wall, which mobile operating system is fairest of all? That's a common question, given the many contenders in the mobile arena--and the well-publicized glitches that have recently come up.
Jolicloud 1.0 is a new edition of Linux aimed at non-technical netbook users.
One of the benefits of open source software that many people are most familiar with is that it's free to download. This means you can grab great applications -- such as Mozilla's Firefox Web browser, the OpenOffice.org office suite or the GIMP photo ...
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- If Tim Burton made a robot, this would be it
- Here's how NASCAR is digitizing race day
- Should Microsoft release a successor to Surface 3?
- Researchers steal data from a PC by controllng the noise from the fans
- The 'summer of AI' is here, this startup chief says
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCIT Assistant (Office Automation/Windows) 160615/ITA/922Asia
- CCSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCNetwork EngineerACT
- CCITSM ConsultantNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160616/AP/185Asia
- CCBiztalk developerNSW
- CCSystem Engineer (DevOps)WA
- FTData Center Operator (1-Year Renewal Contract)Asia
- CCSAP Application Delivery LeadVIC
- CCSenior Java DeveloperACT
- CCProduct Solution DesignerVIC
- FTService Desk AnalystNSW
- CCUrgent requirement for a Splunk SMEVIC
- CCMaster Scheduler - IT Infrastructure ProgramsNSW
- CCBusiness System Analyst - FinanceVIC
- CCIntegration ArchitectNSW
- CCSystems Trainer - Networking/ RadioVIC
- CCContract Junior Programmer (JAVA / SQL) 160621/JP/224Asia
- CCSecurity Engineer - SUMO focusNSW
- CCJava Developer with Oracle database experience | Defence intelligence | NV1ACT
- CCProgram ManagementWA
- CCPMO AnalystVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst - Asset ManagementNSW
- FTMobility Developer x 2 - iOS and Android positions available!NSW
- CCTenable Security - Technical ConsultantVIC