So far there have been six alpha releases of the forthcoming Ubuntu 9.04, due for final release next month, and late yesterday the one and only beta release was made available for download. From this point forward there's a release candidate in mid-A...
Last month, in "Living free with Linux: 2 weeks without Windows," I wrote about what life was like for a longtime Windows user trying to live with Linux. One of the main drawbacks: The difficulties I encountered when installing or updating software.
It's been a decade since Linux proponents first argued their OS was ready for mainstream adoption. Yet for all intents and purposes, Linux remains nonexistent on "regular" people's desks. Sure, developers and other tech experts use Linux, but that's ...
The Linux community has a message to Microsoft: Back off
The day of the mold-your-own OS has come, and Linux is the clay.
Getting started with Linux can be an intimidating task, particularly for people who have never tried any operating system besides Windows. In truth, however, very little about Linux is actually difficult to use. It's simply a different OS, with its o...
It's one of those perennial age-old battles that can never be resolved. Coke or Pepsi? Chocolate or vanilla? Linux or Windows?
While you were likely to be opening up Christmas presents, Linus Torvalds was giving Linux users around the world a special present: the release of the next major Linux kernel: Linux 2.6.28.
Linux is, among other things, a customizable operating system. Clever developers can craft a Linux whose kernel and packages are configured for a specific purpose, to serve as a sort of vertical-market operating system. The benefit to users is somewh...
The sprawl of management consoles, the proliferation of data they provide and the rising use of virtualization are adding challenges to corporations looking to more effectively manage mixed Linux, Windows and cloud environments.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 2 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 3 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Should Netflix refund its geoblocked customers for their inconvenience?
- Innovation: Not with a boom but a whisper
- HPE has won US$3 billion in a lawsuit against Oracle
- Tesla's autopilot is being investigated after a fatal crash
- Will NBN be the biggest loser in Saturday’s Federal Election?
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCBusiness Analyst - Healthcare industryVIC
- CCChange ManagerACT
- CCSAP Financial Master DataACT
- CCLinux Systems AdministratorQLD
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW
- FTCitrix SpecialistACT
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCService Desk AnaystNSW
- CCSharepoint Developer | Air Force project | NV1 clearanceNSW
- CCContract IT Assistant (IT Security/IT Audit) 160621/ITA/361Asia
- FTContinuous delivery application deployment automation specialist (DevOps)NSW
- CCSolution DesignerACT
- FTSolution Architect - Data/ InformationVIC
- CCSecurity Solution ArchitectQLD
- FTMobility Developer x 2 - iOS and Android positions available!NSW
- CCNational Project CoordinatorNSW
- FTService Desk AnalystNSW
- CCChange Manager, Digital ProgramNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - Clinical SystemsSA
- CCBusiness AnalystVIC
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCSAP Portal DeveloperVIC
- CCJunior PM/ConsultantACT
- CCIT Assistant (Lotus Notes/Technical Support) 160616/ITA/991Asia