Last month, in "Living free with Linux: 2 weeks without Windows," I wrote about what life was like for a longtime Windows user trying to live with Linux. One of the main drawbacks: The difficulties I encountered when installing or updating software.
It's been a decade since Linux proponents first argued their OS was ready for mainstream adoption. Yet for all intents and purposes, Linux remains nonexistent on "regular" people's desks. Sure, developers and other tech experts use Linux, but that's ...
The Linux community has a message to Microsoft: Back off
The day of the mold-your-own OS has come, and Linux is the clay.
Getting started with Linux can be an intimidating task, particularly for people who have never tried any operating system besides Windows. In truth, however, very little about Linux is actually difficult to use. It's simply a different OS, with its o...
It's one of those perennial age-old battles that can never be resolved. Coke or Pepsi? Chocolate or vanilla? Linux or Windows?
While you were likely to be opening up Christmas presents, Linus Torvalds was giving Linux users around the world a special present: the release of the next major Linux kernel: Linux 2.6.28.
Linux is, among other things, a customizable operating system. Clever developers can craft a Linux whose kernel and packages are configured for a specific purpose, to serve as a sort of vertical-market operating system. The benefit to users is somewh...
The sprawl of management consoles, the proliferation of data they provide and the rising use of virtualization are adding challenges to corporations looking to more effectively manage mixed Linux, Windows and cloud environments.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Flaws in Trane thermostats underscore IoT security risks, Cisco says
- Telstra restores mobile network after mass outage
- Microsoft's Azure Stack beta gets new services and DevOps tools
- Prysm combines displays with SaaS to extend the reach of enterprise collaboration
- Forget Trump and Clinton: IBM's Watson is running for president
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSenior Information Security SpecialistNSW
- CCProject ManagerSA
- CCMultiple Java rolesACT
- FTSolution ArchitectNSW
- CCCitrix Systems EngineerNSW
- CCWeb Content WriterSA
- FTProject Manager | Defence projects | NV1/NV2 cleared | Canberra basedACT
- FTSenior Project Manager - SecurityNSW
- FTTechnical Lead (Java)NSW
- CCProgrammer/Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Moblie) 160115/AP/P/vhaAsia
- CCPega BPM Developer / Configurer - 12 months contractACT
- CCSenior Wintel EngineerNSW
- CCEXCEL Guru / Data AdministratorNSW
- FTHelpdesk support - Level 1VIC
- CCIBM ESB Developer (Junior to mid level role)NSW
- FTNetwork EngineerSA
- CCSenior Android DeveloperNSW
- CCContract System Engineer (Lotus Domin) 160129/SE/vccAsia
- CCIT Solution Designer (SOA / Web-services)NSW
- CCSenior Systems Analyst (Biomedical)SA
- CCDesktop Support Engineer/Service Desk AnalystNSW
- FTProject Manager | SharePoint, Office 365 SkillsVIC
- CCJava DeveloperVIC
- CCIT Solution DesignerNSW