China has picked Canonical's Linux-based Ubuntu OS as the reference architecture to establish a standardized operating system in the nation that could end up in PCs, servers, tablets and smartphones.
The 10 biggest leaps forward in the look and feel of the Linux desktops
Hoping to extend Linux's reach to ARM-based networking equipment, the not-for-profit engineering group Linaro has launched an initiative to develop code to run routers, switches and other networking equipment.
Canonical made quite a splash at the start of this year when it announced Ubuntu for phones, but--apart from what it demonstrated at the time--we're still waiting both for the downloadable image it promised to provide for the Galaxy Nexus and for spe...
Freeing the way for independent Linux distributions to be installed on Windows 8 computers, the Linux Foundation has released software that will allow Linux to work with computers running the UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) firmware.
There's been a rumor floating around over the past few days that Microsoft is considering making a Linux version of its Office productivity software.
If the world of Linux distributions has ever had a rising star, it's Mageia. Read on for a brief tour of Mageia's interface and features.
Further expanding from its core mission of providing Linux distributions for desktop computers and servers, Canonical is developing a version of Ubuntu for smartphones.
After months of experimenting, Dell took the wraps off a thin-and-light XPS 13 laptop with the Ubuntu Linux 12.04 LTS, an OS that is code-named Precise Pangolin.
After a number of delays, the beta of the Fedora 18 Linux-based distribution has been released.
Given Android's ubiquity today, it's almost hard to believe that it has only been around a few years.
There's been a lot of talk from hardware vendors about 64-bit ARM servers, but without software the fledgling platform won't get very far. Several big vendors made announcements this week that show software support is on its way.
Facebook, Red Hat, Hewlett-Packard and other big vendors have joined a project to develop Linux OS software for the upcoming generation of ARM-based servers, the companies announced Thursday.
The outspoken creator of Linux, Linus Torvalds, called for laptop makers to follow the tablet world's lead in using the highest-resolution displays possible on mobile devices, in a post on Google Plus.
Reflecting the growing need for automation tools in the enterprise, Quest Software has released a software package that could help Unix administrators better manage policy files that determine which users can access privileged material and programs o...
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 3 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 4 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 5 MSI GS70 laptop review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Bluetooth 5 is out: Now will home IoT take off?
- A Turkish hacker is giving out prizes for DDoS attacks
- Qualcomm's new chip may be too late as ARM server market fades
- Democrats unveil bill to probe Russia's role in alleged election hacks
- Halo 5: Forge's multiplayer is now more accessible on PC with a new custom game browser
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCPrincipal Business AnalystQLD
- CCCyber Security Analyst - TelcoVIC
- FTLead Front End DeveloperVIC
- FTService Lifecycle RepresentativeQLD
- CCProduct Manager - Life Insurance (Fixed-Term)NSW
- TPSharePoint DeveloperACT
- CCSecurity SpecialistVIC
- FTLinux Unix AdministratorNSW
- FTServicing Financial Planner - CBDNSW
- FTSenior WebSphere Portal Technical LeadVIC
- FTSalesforce Solutions Architect/DeveloperNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- FTHead - Project Delivery / Project Delivery DirectorACT
- CCWeb DesignerNSW
- FT2nd Level Desktop Support Analyst l SCCMNSW
- CCSenior Web Content AuthorACT
- CCSIEM SpecialistVIC
- FTLevel 2 Service Desk AnalystQLD
- FTGuidewire Developer - Billing's focusSA
- FTSystem Engineer - VirtulisationNSW
- FTLevel 2/3 Application Support SpecialistQLD
- CCFunctional Consultant - Brisbane locationOther
- FTTraining & Implementation Manager, PlatformNSW
- CCSenior Automation TesterVIC
- TPBusiness Analyst - RoboticsNSW