Further expanding from its core mission of providing Linux distributions for desktop computers and servers, Canonical is developing a version of Ubuntu for smartphones.
After months of experimenting, Dell took the wraps off a thin-and-light XPS 13 laptop with the Ubuntu Linux 12.04 LTS, an OS that is code-named Precise Pangolin.
After a number of delays, the beta of the Fedora 18 Linux-based distribution has been released.
Given Android's ubiquity today, it's almost hard to believe that it has only been around a few years.
There's been a lot of talk from hardware vendors about 64-bit ARM servers, but without software the fledgling platform won't get very far. Several big vendors made announcements this week that show software support is on its way.
Facebook, Red Hat, Hewlett-Packard and other big vendors have joined a project to develop Linux OS software for the upcoming generation of ARM-based servers, the companies announced Thursday.
The outspoken creator of Linux, Linus Torvalds, called for laptop makers to follow the tablet world's lead in using the highest-resolution displays possible on mobile devices, in a post on Google Plus.
Reflecting the growing need for automation tools in the enterprise, Quest Software has released a software package that could help Unix administrators better manage policy files that determine which users can access privileged material and programs o...
With some funding from Google and the U.S. Energy Department, a pair of computer scientists at Dartmouth University are updating the venerable grep and diff Unix command line utilities to handle more complex types of data.
Red Hat has updated its flagship operating system, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, with new technologies designed to cut the cost and improve performance of enterprise storage, the company announced Tuesday.
Canonical plans to expand its Ubuntu Linux distribution so it could be used on smartphones, tablets and other touch interface consumer electronics, said Canonical founder Mark Shuttleworth.
Linus Torvalds released Linux 3.1 Monday and the new feature list is long and wide. Linux 3.1 includes a new iSCSI implementation and support for OpenRISC, Near-Field Communication chips, and -- get this -- Wii controllers.
After months of anticipation by Linux fans around the world, Ubuntu 11.10 “Oneiric Ocelot” made its long-awaited debut on Thursday.
Google isn’t reinventing the wheel with a new feature it is testing that allows any two computers using its Chrome browser to connect with each other.
The next version of Canonical's Ubuntu Linux distribution, to be released next week, will be the first to run on the Arm architecture, as well as the first edition to offer a new cloud service orchestration engine, called JuJu.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Apple's iPhone sued for infringement of touch feedback patents
- Cyber criminals hack Netflix: Symantec
- Australian businesses need to accept higher rotation of millennials: Kronos
- Is the road to machine learning paved with API providers?
- Need data-science skills? Now your team can learn together
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- FTFraud AnalystVIC
- CCImplementation AnalystNSW
- FTJava Web Development OpportunityVIC
- FTTechnical Lead (Java)NSW
- FTChange LeadNSW
- CCOracle Applications Projects Functional ConsultantSA
- CCSenior Identity ManagerVIC
- FTSenior Systems/SAN EngineerNSW
- CCJava Developer - IOSNSW
- FTLinux AdministratorVIC
- FTProject Manager | Permanent position | NV1 NV2 cleared | Defence | Great cultureACT
- FTDatabase AdministratorVIC
- FTTechnical Consultant - Audio VisualSA
- CCOrganisational Change AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Business ConsultantNSW
- FTMobile Designer / Developer - IOSNSW
- FTApplications Architect/ Pre-sales (Microsoft Applications)WA
- FTSenior Portfolio Manager - IT ProjectsNSW
- CCDesktop Applications PackagerSA
- CCAD and FIM EngineerNSW
- CCWeb DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystACT
- FTBusiness Analyst / Scrum MasterNSW
- FTFull Stack & Mobile EngineersNSW