The 10 biggest leaps forward in the look and feel of the Linux desktops
Hoping to extend Linux's reach to ARM-based networking equipment, the not-for-profit engineering group Linaro has launched an initiative to develop code to run routers, switches and other networking equipment.
Canonical made quite a splash at the start of this year when it announced Ubuntu for phones, but--apart from what it demonstrated at the time--we're still waiting both for the downloadable image it promised to provide for the Galaxy Nexus and for spe...
Freeing the way for independent Linux distributions to be installed on Windows 8 computers, the Linux Foundation has released software that will allow Linux to work with computers running the UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) firmware.
There's been a rumor floating around over the past few days that Microsoft is considering making a Linux version of its Office productivity software.
If the world of Linux distributions has ever had a rising star, it's Mageia. Read on for a brief tour of Mageia's interface and features.
Further expanding from its core mission of providing Linux distributions for desktop computers and servers, Canonical is developing a version of Ubuntu for smartphones.
After months of experimenting, Dell took the wraps off a thin-and-light XPS 13 laptop with the Ubuntu Linux 12.04 LTS, an OS that is code-named Precise Pangolin.
After a number of delays, the beta of the Fedora 18 Linux-based distribution has been released.
Given Android's ubiquity today, it's almost hard to believe that it has only been around a few years.
There's been a lot of talk from hardware vendors about 64-bit ARM servers, but without software the fledgling platform won't get very far. Several big vendors made announcements this week that show software support is on its way.
Facebook, Red Hat, Hewlett-Packard and other big vendors have joined a project to develop Linux OS software for the upcoming generation of ARM-based servers, the companies announced Thursday.
The outspoken creator of Linux, Linus Torvalds, called for laptop makers to follow the tablet world's lead in using the highest-resolution displays possible on mobile devices, in a post on Google Plus.
Reflecting the growing need for automation tools in the enterprise, Quest Software has released a software package that could help Unix administrators better manage policy files that determine which users can access privileged material and programs o...
With some funding from Google and the U.S. Energy Department, a pair of computer scientists at Dartmouth University are updating the venerable grep and diff Unix command line utilities to handle more complex types of data.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 2 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 3 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 4 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 5 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- These solar road panels could turn our world into Tron
- New Satana ransomware encrypts user files and master boot record
- Firmware exploit can defeat new Windows security features on Lenovo ThinkPads
- Use Apache Spark? This tool can help you tap machine learning
- Intel tunes its mega-chip for machine learning
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTEnvironment ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCETL Developer - Tableau FocusNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160629/AP/793Asia
- CCSenior IT Assistant (Office Automation/PC LAN) 160630/SITA/642Asia
- CCUrgent requirement for a Splunk SMEVIC
- FTContinuous delivery application deployment automation specialist (DevOps)NSW
- CCHybrid Mobile App DeveloperNSW
- CCProgram DirectorNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Enterprise DataNSW
- CCWindows 2003-2012 R2 Active Directory Consultant/ManagerNSW
- CC.net DeveloperACT
- CCPMO ManagerVIC
- CCF5 Infrastructure AdministratorNSW
- FTTableau BI DeveloperNSW
- CCNational Project CoordinatorNSW
- FTCitrix SpecialistACT
- CCArchitect (AWS)NSW
- CCContract Junior Programmer (Java/J2EE/SQL) 160714/JP/707Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE/Oracle) 160704/AP/601Asia
- CCProgrammer (IT Security/Website Administration) 160711/P/565Asia
- FTBusiness Analyst - Oracle Financials (Procure To Pay)NSW
- CCSenior Project Delivery ManagerACT