There seems to be no end to the major changes being tossed around for Ubuntu this year.
Scarcely a day goes by without an update being released for one Linux distribution or another, but today saw the launch of one I think is worth some attention.
Just a few weeks following the official feature freeze on Ubuntu 11.10 “Oneiric Ocelot,”the first beta version of Canonical's free and open source Linux distribution was released on Sept. 1.
As Linux fans know, there are two kinds of hackers: the good guys who develop free software, such as the Linux kernel, and the bad guys who break into computers.
As a geek and longtime tech reporter, there are few things I love writing about more than cool new technological innovations. It never ceases to amaze me what we humans can come up with, particularly when some good technology is fueling the effort.
The Linux Foundation and FOSSBazaar on Wednesday released a new specification to ease the pain of license compliance for open source software. The Software Package Data Exchange (SPDX) is a data exchange specification that tracks license information ...
The mythical "year of the Linux desktop" still hasn't come, and may never, but on the 20th anniversary of Linux the free operating system's proponents threw a party to celebrate its success and scoff at past attacks launched by Microsoft, its biggest...
When it comes to the fast-moving business of trading stocks, bonds and derivatives, the world's financial exchanges are finding an ally in Linux, at least according to one Linux kernel developer working in that industry.
Between Unity and GNOME 3, there seems to be no end to the controversy surrounding Linux desktop environments this year.
With all the hundreds of Linux distributions already available for practically every niche and purpose, users of the open source operating system are accustomed to having a wealth of choices. Recently, however, the set of options got even bigger than...
Extending a partnership established in 2006, Microsoft has renewed a working agreement to resell SUSE Linux and help develop new Windows interoperability tools for the OS, Microsoft announced Monday.
Bucking standard conventions in software versioning, Linux Torvalds has designated the new release of the Linux operating system kernel, posted Friday, as version 3.0, even while maintaining that the release is only a routine update.
Microsoft isn't exactly dumping Windows for Linux, but it has become one of the busiest contributors to the Linux kernel. Microsoft's attempt to get Hyper-V drivers into the Linux kernel has taken longer than expected, having begun in July 2009, so M...
Ubuntu Linux was a pleasant surprise.
A court case that open-source advocates say could have major repercussions on the GPL opened in German district court in Berlin Tuesday.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 2 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
- 3 Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 4 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 5 Huawei Mate 8 review: probably the best all-round Android phone you can buy
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- More than half the world is still offline
- AMD mulls a CPU+GPU super-chip in a server reboot
- This Tinder scam promises to verify your account, but actually sells porn
- EU dual-use tech ban plan could classify smartphones as weapons
- Gaming desktops with AMD Zen chips will be hard to come by this year
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCFrontend DevelopersQLD
- FTSystems Applications ManagerACT
- CCUX / UI Visual DesignerNSW
- FTSAP Basis ConsultantVIC
- FTSAP ESB Service Management SpecialistVIC
- FTSystems Administrator | Defence | NV1 / NV2 clearedACT
- CCSenior Test AnalystWA
- CCNetwork DesignerNSW
- CCSenior Automation Engineer / TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Java/SQL) 160721/AP/624Asia
- CCContract Systems Analyst (HP-UX/Oracle RDBMS) 160720/SA/113Asia
- FTDesktop Support Engineer (Renewable Contract)Asia
- CCChange Portfolio ManagerNSW
- CCSolution DesignerNSW
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160729/P/698Asia
- CCService Lead - Cloud hosting and storageNSW
- CCPractice Lead - Java, FrontendVIC
- CCDatabase developer/ModellerACT
- CCChange CoordinatorNSW
- CCData Analyst / Data ModelerNSW
- FTAX Lead Technical ConsultantWA
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (HTML/JAVA/UNIX) 160804/AP/172Asia
- CCMiddleware ConsultantVIC
- CCOracle Apex DeveloperWA