An IBM project to expand the market for its Power processor is making headway, with new hardware announced Wednesday that aims to challenge Intel's dominance in the data center.
Dell kicked off its customer conference in Texas this week, almost exactly a year after it became a private company, and on Wednesday announced a new type of server that Michael Dell bragged has the most compute density of its kind.
Google is well-known for building its own server hardware to meet the unique needs of its massive compute network, but that won't always be the case, according to the head of its infrastructure team.
Hewlett-Packard is partnering with Foxconn, the Taiwanese manufacturing giant best known for producing Apple's iPhone, to tackle the growing market for low-cost servers in cloud data centers.
Lenovo Group has agreed to buy IBM's x86 server hardware business and related maintenance services for $US2.3 billion.
IBM has revived efforts to sell its low-end server business and Dell, Fujitsu and Lenovo are all lining up to take a look, according to reports this week.
Vendors don't normally brag about slower products but Advanced Micro Devices is making an exception for its latest Opteron 6300 processors, which have a slower clock speed than their predecessors to reduce power consumption.
Qualcomm's CEO said his company has the capabilities to build ARM server chips but was careful not to disclose any product plans at the International CES in Las Vegas.
Intel is taking another run at the market for low-power, high-density servers with its new "Avoton" chip, which was launched Wednesday and will do battle with an expected upcoming wave of ARM-based processors.
Intel has updated its road map with a new, low-power server chip to help it ward off competition from Calxeda and other makers of low-power chips.
Any deal by IBM to sell parts of its server business to Lenovo is likely to focus on low-end commodity x86 hardware, not higher-end x86 systems such as IBM's PureSystems and iDataPlex servers, an industry analyst said Thursday.
IBM is in "advanced discussions" with Lenovo over a possible deal for it to purchase IBM's x86 server business, according to two news reports.
To make server upgrades easier, Intel introduced a rack reference architecture that speeds up data throughput while reducing energy and maintenance costs in data centers.
SPEC, the standards body for performance benchmarks, has released a new toolkit that should help customers choose the most energy-efficient server for the workloads they need to run.
Hewlett-Packard's first low-power server for hyperscale computing environments, developed under a project it calls Moonshot, will go on sale next quarter, CEO Meg Whitman said on Thursday.
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 3 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 4 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 5 MSI GS70 laptop review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Russian cyberspies likely behind DNC breach move on to German election
- Microsoft's vision for LinkedIn is about tying its business data into Office and other services
- Facebook's Year in Review for 2016 isn't just fun and games
- Cyberspies stole secrets from industrial giant ThyssenKrupp
- OpenVPN will be audited for security flaws
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTBusiness Analyst (Payment Systems Project)QLD
- CCSenior Agile Java/Spring/AngularJS Software EngineerNSW
- CCNight Shift Service Desk AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Integration DeveloperSA
- CCApplication Specialist (Cerner) - Brisbane BasedNSW
- CCSenior UX/UI DesignerNSW
- TPProcess Business AnalystVIC
- CCSoftware TesterACT
- CCGuidewire ArchitectNSW
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- TPBusiness Systems AnalystQLD
- CCIT Service Management Delivery SpecialistNSW
- CCFunctional Consultant - Brisbane locationNSW
- FTIT EngineerNSW
- FTEnterprise Architect - BusinessQLD
- FTManager Integration PlanningNSW
- FTTechnical Customer SupportQLD
- CCFinancial AnalystACT
- FTJapanese Speaking Technical Support EngineerNSW
- CCWeb AnalystNSW
- FTAGILE Implementation ManagerNSW
- FTJunior Business AnalystWA
- FTPMO Coordinator - Permanent Opportunity!NSW
- FTJava Full Stack DeveloerQLD
- FTFinancial AnalystNSW