Backers of two competing specifications for delivering voice over LTE mobile data networks have heralded demonstrations in the past two days, while mobile giant Ericsson apparently dropped its support for one of the systems.
The Asia-Pacific region will have 43.6 million High-Speed Packet Access (HSPA) connections by the end of 2009 that will drive the adoption of Long Term Evolution (LTE) technology, according to analyst firm IDC.
Wireless broadband provider Clearwire had about 173,000 WiMax subscribers at the end of September and should be able to offer service to 120 million potential subscribers in the U.S. by the end of next year, the company said Tuesday.
This week's $US2.9 billion acquisition of Starent Networks indicates that Cisco is backpedaling from its WiMAX focus and shifting it to LTE as the 4G underpinning of next generation mobile data networks.
When the first LTE (Long Term Evolution) networks and devices are launched next year, users can expect to see a download speed of about 20Mbps, according to Motorola and ZTE.
Clearwire will start offering its mobile WiMax wireless data service commercially in Las Vegas on July 21, building on its still-sparse coverage area with a fourth major city.
To get the most out of upcoming mobile broadband networks based on LTE (Long Term Evolution), the use of femtocells is a key ingredient, according to industry organization the Femto Forum.
Wi-Fi hotspots are back in the spotlight, with more operators getting onboard. Cheaper international data roaming, better indoor coverage and the ubiquity of built-in support for Wi-Fi will help hotspots remain relevant in a mobile broadband centric ...
NTT DoCoMo, Japan's biggest cellular carrier, will soon launch improvements to its network that promise data transfers up to 15 times faster than are currently possible - and it plans even greater changes next year.
Nokia Siemens Networks, Avaya and Siemens Enterprise Communications are moving in to buy parts of troubled Nortel Networks, the Wall Street Journal reported Wednesday, citing unnamed sources.
Verizon Wireless will join the Joint Innovation Lab (JIL) created by China Mobile, Softbank and Vodafone to help standardize mobile application development and get new software out to mobile users more quickly.
Alcatel-Lucent on Wednesday was set to introduce its Evolved Packet Core (EPC), a set of network components that will help to power the LTE network of Verizon Wireless and other mobile operators.
LG Electronics plans to protect its future Long Term Evolution (LTE) 4G chipsets and phones with an embedded security system from Israel-based Discretix.
Equipment vendors are trying to convince mobile operators to spend money upgrading their networks to deliver faster Internet access, with two technologies battling for the bucks: LTE (Long Term Evolution) and WiMax. However in the short term the winn...
Supporters of rival technologies WiMax and LTE (Long Term Evolution) will do their best to show momentum behind their respective technologies at Mobile World Congress.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 HTC One (M8s) review: Better value for money than HTC's flagship
- 2 Apple MacBook (early 2015) review: Almost a game changer
- 3 Microsoft Surface 3 Windows 8.1 tablet
- 4 HP Spectre x360 convertible laptop
- 5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FT30 Tough camera
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Taiwan innovates in niche areas like cat feeders, sperm analyzers
- Apple's 12-inch MacBook won't reach Thunderbolt 3 data transfer speeds
- AMD to launch next-generation Fiji GPUs on June 16
- Samsung’s Gear VR for Galaxy S6 goes on sale 18 June
- AMD skips Chromebooks, bets on Windows 10 with new Carrizo chips
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Executive | GamingNSW
- FTSenior Digital B2B Sales Manager | Household BrandNSW
- FTSenior SQL DBANSW
- FTSMB Direct Sales Account Executive | Largest Global Online MarketplaceNSW
- CCMobile Designer / Developer - IOSNSW
- FTSENIOR FORMS ANALYST (13767)QLD
- CCMobile Designer / Developer - IOSNSW
- FTKey Account ManagerNSW