A team of anonymous developers who recently created a Linux rootkit that runs on graphics cards has released a new proof-of-concept malware program that does the same on Windows. A Mac OS X implementation is also in the works.
Australians have been targeted with a Breaking Bad-themed crypto ransomware.
In the latest attack involving malicious advertisements, hackers managed to launch Flash Player exploits against the visitors of several popular porn websites.
A team of developers has created a rootkit for Linux systems that uses the processing power and memory of graphics cards instead of CPUs in order to remain hidden.
Over five percent of browser visits to Google owned websites, including Google Search, are altered by computer programs that inject ads into pages. One called Superfish is responsible for a majority of those ad injections.
Cybercriminals are increasingly copying cyberespionage groups in using targeted attacks against their victims instead of large-scale, indiscriminate infection campaigns.
A new type of malware resorts to crippling a computer if it is detected during security checks, a particularly catastrophic blow to its victims.
Microsoft is betting that good security support will be key to keeping its enterprise customers from straying to rivals.
Some users whose computers have been infected with a ransomware program called TeslaCrypt might be in luck: security researchers from Cisco Systems have developed a tool to recover their encrypted files.
Some of the world's leading cryptographers are concerned about the increasing number of malicious programs that hold computers and mobile phones to ransom, in many cases by abusing the encryption algorithms they designed.
If you can't wait for that critical patch to secure your system from some just-discovered bug, IT security firm Qualys may have an answer, through new security software that can secure the trouble spot until the patch arrives.
The group of attackers behind cyberintrusions at the White House and the Department of State last year used malware that bears strong similarities to cyberespionage tools suspected to be of Russian origin.
Google plans to serve most of its ads over encrypted HTTPS connections by the end of June, a move that will protect against some ad hijacking attacks and will encourage website owners to enable encryption on their Web properties.
A fresh attack by a long-known hacking group suspected to be linked with Russia did little to mask its activity in an attack a week ago.
Even though its activities were exposed last year, a cyberespionage group dubbed Pawn Storm has ramped up its efforts over the past few months, targeting NATO members and potentially the White House.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 2 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
- 3 Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 4 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 5 Huawei Mate 8 review: probably the best all-round Android phone you can buy
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Windows 7 PCs with free OS upgrade are still available, for now
- SwiftKey's typing predictions may have leaked users' emails
- New Android Trojan SpyNote leaks on underground forums
- ISP groups appeal net neutrality court defeat
- IBM's Cloud CTO: 'We're in this game to win'
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCStrategic Business AnalystNSW
- FTInfrastructure Technology Platform ManagerVIC
- FTMobile DeveloperWA
- FTSystems Administrator | Defence | NV1 / NV2 clearedACT
- CCProject Manager, Credit CardsNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst (NON-IT)WA
- CCCRM Technical Consultant / DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Manager (Business Data Management)NSW
- FTMobility Test AnalystNSW
- FTImplementation ConsultantNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst/ Scrum MasterNSW
- CCSenior ICT Project Manager - Extensive Government experienceNSW
- CCProject Manager- Infrastructure and App Roles- Gov BackgroundNSW
- CCFrontend DevelopersQLD
- CCProject Engineer -VIC
- CCBI Delivery Project ManagerVIC
- FTMidrange Server Provision SMENSW
- CCFMW DevelopersACT
- FTIdentity Systems Analyst / Solution DesignerACT
- CCProject Manager- transformation from SAP Oracle to SAP HANANSW
- FTRuby on Rails DeveloperNSW
- CC.NET DeveloperQLD
- FTFull Stack DeveloperNSW
- CCIOS DeveloperWA