Just as graphics card makers like Nvidia found a secondary market for their wares as system-fortifying co-processors, Micron is plotting to sell booster computational elements based on its memory technologies.
Samsung has started producing 64GB DRAM modules for servers based on emerging DDR4 (double-data rate 4) memory using 3D "through silicon via" (TSV) package technology.
The hunt for memory technology to replace NAND flash storage within the next 10 years is under way, and startup Crossbar is planning to bringing its version of RRAM (resistive random-access memory) technology to market next year.
Micron wants to shake up decades-old memory implementations with its Hybrid Memory Cube technology, which will be available as an alternative to DRAM modules starting in the first quarter next year.
Hewlett-Packard's attempt to come up with a new architecture for computers is "laughable" and would make trillions of dollars in software investment obsolete, according to a top Dell executive.
Hewlett-Packard has kicked off an ambitious project that aims at nothing less than reinventing the basic architecture of computers. It looks like servers are its initial target, but HP is also working on an Android version that it says could lead to ...
Hewlett-Packard is reportedly developing a powerful new type of computer that draws on technologies under development at HP Labs, including memristors and silicon photonics.
For gamers and desktop users looking to shift to the new DDR4 memory as quickly as possible, the wait will end in the third quarter this year.
Samsung Electronics has begun mass producing a more affordable SSD, seeking to help drive the technology deeper into the corporate data center.
Partners Toshiba and SanDisk have developed 15-nanometer process technology for NAND flash memory widely used in smartphones and tablets.
A former SK Hynix employee is at the center of a brewing legal battle between top flash memory rivals after allegedly stealing trade secrets.
Violin Memory has named Kevin A. DeNuccio as CEO after a seven-week search to replace Donald Basile, who was fired in mid-December.
Toshiba has completed its acquisition of OCZ Storage Solutions, a failed Silicon Valley maker of solid-state drives, the company said Tuesday.
Intel will add support for DDR4 memory to its high-end computers in the third quarter, sources familiar with the company's plans said.
New chips that blur the line between computer memory and storage are starting to move beyond niche applications and could change how we use PCs, an industry analyst said Sunday.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 2 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
- 3 Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 4 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 5 Huawei Mate 8 review: probably the best all-round Android phone you can buy
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- More than half the world is still offline
- AMD mulls a CPU+GPU super-chip in a server reboot
- This Tinder scam promises to verify your account, but actually sells porn
- EU dual-use tech ban plan could classify smartphones as weapons
- Gaming desktops with AMD Zen chips will be hard to come by this year
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCUser Access Review (UAR) DeveloperVIC
- FTPHP Developer (full stack)WA
- CCeLearning Developer / Learning Management System AdministratorACT
- CC.Net Developer Application DesignerACT
- CCAssociate Engineer (Communications Engineering)Asia
- CCAccounts Reconciliation Officer/ AdministratorNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Java/SQL) 160721/AP/624Asia
- CCProject Manager- Infrastructure and App Roles- Gov BackgroundNSW
- CCApplication Service TechnicianVIC
- CCHelpdesk OfficersNSW
- FTOPEN_ASAP_Configuration ManagerACT
- CCTest Manager - Baseline SecurityVIC
- CCService Design AnalystNSW
- FTSystems Administrator, Linux, Networking, AWSNSW
- CC.Net DeveloperNSW
- FTGraduate IT supportNSW
- CCSOA -Solution Architect -baselineACT
- FTSAP Team LeadVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Java/J2EE/MyEclise) 160721/AP/vmpAsia
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCMiddleware ConsultantVIC
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160729/P/698Asia
- FTService Desk Team LeadNSW
- FTSAP Basis ConsultantVIC