Despite the fact that <a href="http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/020310-facebook-sees-need-for-terabit.html">Facebook famously said</a> that it needs Terabit Ethernet, the wait for the technology could last years, experts say.
For the first time in its history, the IEEE has released two Ethernet standards simultaneously: 40 Gigabit Ethernet (40GE) and 100 Gigabit Ethernet (100GE), both defined by the 802.3ba Task Force.
The IEEE's 802.3az standard for Energy Efficient Ethernet is expected to be finalized by next year, but it's not too soon to think about how your IT organization can migrate to EEE.
This year saw the slow, painful dismantling of Nortel. Its gradual exit from the tech scene played out the entire year, as each month brought news of more layoffs, markdowns or sell-offs.
Ciena will pay US$769 million for the optical networking and carrier Ethernet assets of Nortel Networks' Metro Ethernet Networks business, the two companies said on Monday.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Synology DiskStation DS215j NAS device
- 2 Fitbit Charge wireless activity tracker
- 3 HP Stream 11 laptop
- 4 B&O BeoPlay A2 portable Bluetooth speaker
- 5 Acer Chromebook 11 (CB3-111)
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- Facebook reports strong Q4 as mobile ad sales keep growing
- Cyberthreat sharing must include strong privacy protections, advocates say
- IBM's SoftLayer chief departs amid Cloud transition
- OneDrive adds 'Albums,' will soon add automatic photo import from PC
- Silk Road paid thousands in shake-downs from malicious hackers
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.