Chinese vendors tripled shipments year-on-year in the second quarter in the Indian market, indicating that low-cost vendors are posing a challenge to global players like Apple in a very price-sensitive market.
Indian smartphone manufacturer Micromax and Xiaomi from China have given the low-end segment a shake up with their latest products, and even if the devices don't go on sale around the world, their launches will likely be felt globally.
Samsung Electronics led the Indian smartphone market with a 22 percent share last quarter, while global rival Apple didn't even make the top five in this price-sensitive market.
Samsung Electronics has lost its top position in the Indian smartphone market to local player Micromax, according to research firm Canalys, but the South Korean company is contesting the figures.
Three Indian vendors have launched smartphones based on a Google reference design starting at 6399 Indian rupees (US$105) without operator subsidy, in a bid to grab a share of a growing but competitive segment of the country's smartphone market.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 2 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 3 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Qualcomm wants to bring LTE to more IoT devices
- HPE's CTO is leaving amid more change at the company
- Red Hat polishes JBoss EAP for a cloud-native future
- Google’s Sundar Pichai has been hacked - which CEO will be next?
- EU is preparing adwords antitrust complaint against Google
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCBusiness AnalystVIC
- CCApplication Support Analyst and Database AdministratorNSW
- CCEngineering Lead - InfrastructureVIC
- CCProgram Test ManagerNSW
- CCServiceNow DeveloperVIC
- CCData ArchitectSA
- CCRelease & Configuration Manager | Defence intelligence application | NV1 clearedACT
- CCSystems Engineer / Applications Scripting DeveloperSA
- CCPMO AnalystVIC
- CCTechnical Content ProducerVIC
- CCICT PreSales SpecialistVIC
- FTService Desk AnalystNSW
- FTFront End .Net Developer (.Net / Angular / Bootstrap)NSW
- CCProgram CoordinatorNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160616/AP/185Asia
- CCJunior PM/ConsultantACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (HTML/SQL/PHP) 160628/AP/113Asia
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCIT Finance Systems Process AnalystNSW
- FTProject Coordinator / AdministratorNSW
- FTSenior Architect, TechnologyNSW
- CCSecurity Engineer - SUMO focusNSW
- CCDigital Business AnalystVIC
- CCSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCLead Solution Analyst - BMC Remedy softwareVIC