Chinese vendors tripled shipments year-on-year in the second quarter in the Indian market, indicating that low-cost vendors are posing a challenge to global players like Apple in a very price-sensitive market.
Indian smartphone manufacturer Micromax and Xiaomi from China have given the low-end segment a shake up with their latest products, and even if the devices don't go on sale around the world, their launches will likely be felt globally.
Samsung Electronics led the Indian smartphone market with a 22 percent share last quarter, while global rival Apple didn't even make the top five in this price-sensitive market.
Samsung Electronics has lost its top position in the Indian smartphone market to local player Micromax, according to research firm Canalys, but the South Korean company is contesting the figures.
Three Indian vendors have launched smartphones based on a Google reference design starting at 6399 Indian rupees (US$105) without operator subsidy, in a bid to grab a share of a growing but competitive segment of the country's smartphone market.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Quantum computers pose a huge threat to security, and the NIST wants your help
- EMC's latest VCE nodes aim to make clouds easy
- Amazon.com shows European Commission one way to eliminate geoblocking in e-commerce
- Uber faces more lawsuits for classifying drivers as contractors
- China’s booming middle class augurs well for Apple, says Tim Cook
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSenior Master Data OfficerNSW
- CCWeb Content Developer- Angular, PHP, interface backgroundNSW
- CCSenior UX/UI DesignerNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC
- CCSystem AnalystNSW
- CCSystem Administration / Application Support | NV2 clearance neededACT
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- CCBusiness AnalystSA
- CCUAT Test AnalystWA
- FTFront End DeveloperVIC
- CCSr System AnalystACT
- CCSales Development Executive - Software SolutionsNSW
- FTFunctional Kronos ConsultantNSW
- FTService Coordinator/Scheduler | IT Managed Service ProviderVIC
- FTDesktop SupportNSW
- CCAdobe Experience Manager AEM / CQ5 DeveloperNSW
- CC.NET Developer (Application production Support)NSW
- CCLead Administrator - Network and SecurityNSW
- CCProject CoordinatorACT
- FTSoftware Design Engineer (Embedded Software)SA
- CCContract Systems Analyst (C++/JAVA/SQL) 160505/SA/971Asia
- CCSenior Technical WriterVIC
- CCMid or Senior Developer - Mobile Applications - (iOS)NSW
- CCSenior Front End / UI Developer (React.js / LESS / SASS)NSW
- CCSAP BW developerVIC