Chinese vendors tripled shipments year-on-year in the second quarter in the Indian market, indicating that low-cost vendors are posing a challenge to global players like Apple in a very price-sensitive market.
Indian smartphone manufacturer Micromax and Xiaomi from China have given the low-end segment a shake up with their latest products, and even if the devices don't go on sale around the world, their launches will likely be felt globally.
Samsung Electronics led the Indian smartphone market with a 22 percent share last quarter, while global rival Apple didn't even make the top five in this price-sensitive market.
Samsung Electronics has lost its top position in the Indian smartphone market to local player Micromax, according to research firm Canalys, but the South Korean company is contesting the figures.
Three Indian vendors have launched smartphones based on a Google reference design starting at 6399 Indian rupees (US$105) without operator subsidy, in a bid to grab a share of a growing but competitive segment of the country's smartphone market.
Samsung Electronics is expected to launch soon the Galaxy Note 4, in a bid to help improve its ailing fortunes in the high-end segment of the smartphone market. But the company's problems run deeper with local vendors eating its lunch with cheaper de...
Ericsson has sued Indian mobile handset vendor Micromax in an Indian court, alleging infringement of eight of its patents without payment of any consideration.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 2 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
- 3 Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 4 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 5 Huawei Mate 8 review: probably the best all-round Android phone you can buy
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- More than half the world is still offline
- AMD mulls a CPU+GPU super-chip in a server reboot
- This Tinder scam promises to verify your account, but actually sells porn
- EU dual-use tech ban plan could classify smartphones as weapons
- Gaming desktops with AMD Zen chips will be hard to come by this year
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCTest Lead-Agile, SCRUM, HP QC, JIRA, UX Government backgroundNSW
- FTDefence Network Architect | NV2ACT
- FTAX Lead Functional ConsultantWA
- CCMessaging EngineerNSW
- CCEnvironment ManagerVIC
- CCService Management Specialist / ITILNSW
- CCPre-Sales Consulting Business AnalystVIC
- CCNetwork DesignerNSW
- FTProgram Master SchedulerVIC
- FT1st Level IT Support - Microsoft EnvironmentNSW
- CCProduction Manager / Digital ProducerNSW
- CCProject Manager, Credit CardsNSW
- FTTest ManagerACT
- CCSenior Architect - CloudVIC
- CCChange CoordinatorNSW
- FTContinuous delivery application deployment automation specialist (DevOps)NSW
- CCProject Manager- Infrastructure and App Roles- Gov BackgroundNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst (ERP)NSW
- CCContract IT Assistant (Office Automation/PC LAN) 160802/ITA/991Asia
- CCLead DevOps ConsultantVIC
- CCDrupal DeveloperWA
- CC.Net Developer Application DesignerACT
- CCSenior SAP BW & HANA Developer/Technical ArchitectVIC
- FTPHP Developer (full stack)WA