A group of U.S. senators has revived an effort to require major online retailers to collect sales tax from shoppers.
The U.S. Senate has delayed a vote on an Internet sales tax until May, after a handful of senators blocked lawmakers from voting on the legislation this week.
The U.S. Senate has voted 74-20 to close debate and move to a final vote on a bill allowing states to collect sales tax from out-of-state Internet and catalog retailers.
The US Senate has overwhelmingly passed a nonbinding proposal to allow states to collect sales tax on Internet sellers that have no presence within their borders.
A group of U.S. senators have offered a nonbinding amendment to a fiscal year 2014 budget resolution allowing states to collect sales taxes on Internet sales and end the tax-free shopping that many shoppers enjoy online.
A large group of U.S. lawmakers has reintroduced legislation that would require online retailers to collect sales tax for state and local governments, essentially raising the cost of many online purchases by 10 percent or more.
An effort by three U.S. senators to add an Internet sales tax amendment to a military spending bill has failed, at least for now.
Four U.S. senators have introduced legislation that would allow states to collect taxes on Internet sales, even when the seller does not have a physical presence in the taxing state.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 2 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
- 3 Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 4 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 5 Huawei Mate 8 review: probably the best all-round Android phone you can buy
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- IBM's Cloud CTO: 'We're in this game to win'
- Sony does well in games but smartphone business shrinks
- How to stop hackers from reaching your deleted files
- WikiLeaks' methods questioned by whistleblower Edward Snowden
- Six quick steps to start a Digital Detox
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCService Design AnalystNSW
- FTBusiness Intelligence - Policy and Governance ManagerNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Java/J2EE/MyEclise) 160721/AP/vmpAsia
- CCService Coordinator/HelpdeskWA
- CCBusiness Project ManagerVIC
- CCField Engineer - POSTAS
- FTSenior Manager (Business Data Management)NSW
- CCNetwork Architect - Cisco, Aruba and SecurityNSW
- CCUX/UI Designer DeveloperWA
- CCOracle Identity and Access Management Specialist-11Gr2 productsNSW
- CCBPM Solution ArchitectVIC
- CCProject Engineer -VIC
- FTAgile Coach / Training & Support ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerACT
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTProject Manager - IT Technology / Site RelocationsNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE/SQL Server) 160812/AP/553Asia
- FTProject Manager- Change ManagementSA
- FTEnvironment Management AnalystACT
- CCSAP FICO Consultant/SAP FICO Stream LeadNSW
- CCSolutions ArchitectQLD
- FTMobile DeveloperWA
- FTSAP FS-PM/FS-PQM SpecialistVIC
- CCSAP BW Hana DeveloperVIC