A group of U.S. senators has revived an effort to require major online retailers to collect sales tax from shoppers.
The U.S. Senate has delayed a vote on an Internet sales tax until May, after a handful of senators blocked lawmakers from voting on the legislation this week.
The U.S. Senate has voted 74-20 to close debate and move to a final vote on a bill allowing states to collect sales tax from out-of-state Internet and catalog retailers.
The US Senate has overwhelmingly passed a nonbinding proposal to allow states to collect sales tax on Internet sellers that have no presence within their borders.
A group of U.S. senators have offered a nonbinding amendment to a fiscal year 2014 budget resolution allowing states to collect sales taxes on Internet sales and end the tax-free shopping that many shoppers enjoy online.
A large group of U.S. lawmakers has reintroduced legislation that would require online retailers to collect sales tax for state and local governments, essentially raising the cost of many online purchases by 10 percent or more.
An effort by three U.S. senators to add an Internet sales tax amendment to a military spending bill has failed, at least for now.
Four U.S. senators have introduced legislation that would allow states to collect taxes on Internet sales, even when the seller does not have a physical presence in the taxing state.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Maps of Google and other services could require security clearance in India
- Google, Honeywell resolve patent dispute over Nest thermostats
- FTTN revenue begins to trickle in for NBN
- HP partners with Intel to invigorate STEM (+4 photos)
- NBN set to hit 1 million connections
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSenior Enterprise Architect - eCommerceVIC
- FTSenior Business Intelligence ManagerNSW
- CCSCRUM MasterNSW
- CCAdobe Experience Manager AEM / CQ5 DeveloperNSW
- FTService Coordinator/Scheduler | IT Managed Service ProviderVIC
- CCFull Stack Developers - JavaNSW
- CCUser Experience ExpertVIC
- CCSenior Analyst, Applications - GDWVIC
- CCFull Stack Developer - Java - Blue Chip CompanyNSW
- CCDigital Project ManagerNSW
- CCScrum MasterNSW
- CCL3 - Network Design and Support EngineerNSW
- FTTechnical Business Analyst - BINSW
- CCProject Specialist - Contact Center and Unified CommunicationsVIC
- CCHyperion ConsultantNSW
- CCSolutions Architect - Network and InfrastructureNSW
- CCAWS ArchitectNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTSolution Architect (Guidewire Billing Center)NSW
- CCSenior Front End / UI Developer (React.js / LESS / SASS)NSW
- CCProject Coordinator (urgent) - Digital - Blue chip companyNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager, Technology Upgrade & RefreshNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager, Portfolio Services ManagementNSW
- CC.NET Developer (Application production Support)NSW
- CCData Center ArchitectNSW