Speculation for months suggested Apple would put an Near-Field Communication chip in its next iPhone. But when the iPhone 4S was unveiled this week, the mobile payment technology was missing from the device.
Research in Motion's PlayBook looks to be in trouble, as it appears that the smartphone maker has stopped production of the tablet and is actively considering getting out of the business, says Collins Stewart semiconductor analyst John Vihn.
Research in Motion said Thursday that it remains committed to the PlayBook tablet and the tablet market, discounting an analyst's report that said the death of the device is imminent.
Microsoft began its Windows Phone 7.5 "Mango" update to smartphones globally at 1 p.m. ET Tuesday.
Even though Google said its Google Wallet app was available Monday, it won't be installed over-the-air to all Nexus S 4G customers until Friday night.
Apple will launch the next iPhone on Oct. 4, a technology blog said today, citing what it called "sources close to the situation."
Several of the souped-up Samsung tablets Microsoft handed out to 5000 developers at last week's BUILD Windows conference are for sale on eBay at prices as high as $US3500.
Despite the increasing use of smartphones at work, more than one-third of companies still don't provide any support for personal phones or outright prohibit their use at the office.
Now that developers have in their hands a pre-release version of Windows 8 running on a special edition of the Samsung Series 7 tablet, analysts are weighing in on how many developers will ultimately build Windows tablet applications.
PayPal has unveiled a mobile payment initiative for shoppers that doesn't require near-field communication (NFC) technology inside smartphones.
Microsoft on Tuesday gave the 5,000 developers attending its BUILD conference preview units of a Samsung tablet running a version of the upcoming Windows 8 software.
Amazon's coming tablet could feature an annual library subscription model that would let readers access older books, according to a report in the Wall Street Journal.
More people in the US will access the Internet via mobile devices than through desktop computers or other wired devices by 2015, IDC predicted on Monday.
HTC is considering buying WebOS from Hewlett Packard or another mobile operating system, according to a report based on comments made by HTC Chairwoman Cher Wang.
Samsung reportedly will unveil a new tablet computer that runs on the Windows 8 OS next week at Microsoft's BUILD conference in Anaheim, Calif.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- 2 Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- 3 Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- 4 LG G6 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Intel projects decline in chip prices, and AMD's Ryzen is one reason
- Google Cloud growth is outpacing the company's ad business
- Hands on with the unusual Acer Predator Triton 700 gaming laptop
- Acer's Aspire GX comes out of nowhere to be the first prebuilt Ryzen PC from a major vendor
- Hands on the Acer's Swift 5, a competitor to Microsoft's Surface Pro
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- TPProject Manager | HealthQLD
- CCSenior Change ManagerQLD
- FTVDI EngineerACT
- FTTester AnalystACT
- CCIntegration ArchitectACT
- FTData Entry Administrator - TelecommunicationsNSW
- FTSenior Infrastructure Business AnalystVIC
- FTWindows Dev Ops EngineerNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCTelecommunication Business SpecialistTAS
- FTSenior Data ConsultantWA
- FTSecurity Consultant -10056987-001VIC
- FTSenior Java DeveloperVIC
- TPSolution ArchitectQLD
- FTBusiness Development ManagerACT
- FTSenior Wintel EngineerNSW
- CCMaster Data Analyst - SAPNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- TPProduct ManagerVIC
- FTL&D Consultant, Wealth AdvisorNSW
- CCJava Developer IntegrationQLD
- CCSenior IT Project ManagerNSW
- CCSecurity Specialist - NV1ACT
- CCUser ResearchNSW
- TPAutomation TesterQLD