A malicious Android app that takes over the screen of devices and extorts money from users with fake notifications from law enforcement agencies was recently updated with a component that allows it to spread via text message spam.
A new technique that allows attackers to hide encrypted malicious Android applications inside images could be used to evade detection by antivirus products and possibly Google Play's own malware scanner.
A new version of an Android worm called Selfmite has the potential to ramp up huge SMS charges for victims in its attempt to spread to as many devices as possible.
The strength of Apple's revised encryption scheme in iOS 8 hinges on users choosing a strong passcode or password, which they rarely do, according to a Princeton University fellow.
Around 45 percent of Android devices have a browser that is vulnerable to two serious security issues, but some countries have a considerably larger percentage of affected users than others, according to data from mobile security firm Lookout.
If you're looking to buy a used iPhone, iPad or iPod touch device, Apple is now offering an online tool to let you first check if it's been locked down by the previous owner, which could indicate that it was actually stolen or lost.
A malware program that targets Hong Kong activists using Apple devices has trademarks of being developed by a nation-state, possibly China, according to a security company.
The default browser in Android versions older than 4.4 has a vulnerability that allows malicious websites to bypass a critical security mechanism and take control of a user's authenticated sessions on other sites.
Many mobile apps request too many permissions and don't explain how they collect users' personal information, a study of 1,211 popular apps by the Global Privacy Enforcement Network has found.
Instagram, Grindr, OkCupid and many other Android applications fail to take basic precautions to protect their users' data, putting their privacy at risk, according to new study.
Future versions of the Firefox OS mobile platform will allow users to control application-specific permissions, a feature with both privacy and security benefits that's missing on Android.
Smartphones sold in California will soon be required to have a kill switch that lets users remotely lock them and wipe them of data in the event they are lost or stolen.
The U.S. National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) is developing a guide for testing third-party apps to ensure that they are secure and don't introduce any vulnerabilities.
Apple has done well to insulate its iOS mobile operating system from many security issues, but a forthcoming demonstration shows it's far from perfect.
BlackBerry's focus on strong security as a key differentiator for its devices does not mean that they're completely free of flaws. The company released security updates Tuesday for both the OS running on its smartphones and for its enterprise server ...
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- 2 Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- 3 Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- 4 LG G6 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Intel projects decline in chip prices, and AMD's Ryzen is one reason
- Google Cloud growth is outpacing the company's ad business
- Hands on with the unusual Acer Predator Triton 700 gaming laptop
- Acer's Aspire GX comes out of nowhere to be the first prebuilt Ryzen PC from a major vendor
- Hands on the Acer's Swift 5, a competitor to Microsoft's Surface Pro
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTTester AnalystACT
- CCSenior Domain ArchitectVIC
- CCSenior Network Security EngineerNSW
- FTDevOps EngineerNSW
- FTNetwork Solution Architect - PresalesNSW
- FTCRM Technical Specialist (Oracle Eloqua)SA
- CCSenior Change ManagerQLD
- FTSenior Project AnalystVIC
- FTSolution Architect l MS Exchange, O365NSW
- CCSAP ISU Functional ConsultantVIC
- CCSenior Project OfficerNSW
- FTBusiness Process AnalystWA
- CCJava Developer IntegrationQLD
- FTSecurity Consultant -10056987-001VIC
- CCSenior UNIX AdministratorNSW
- FTPERMANENT Business AnalystsNSW
- FTTIBCO Support Analyst - PERM DESKVIC
- FTRegional Market Manager - Wide Bay RegionQLD
- CCDigital Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTDesktop Support/ Field Services EngineerQLD
- FTSAP ABAP Technical specialistACT
- FTTeam Leader Application SupportVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst - PegaNSW
- FTProject Engineer - Data & IP NetworksNSW
- CCTechnical ConsutlantACT