A malicious Android app that takes over the screen of devices and extorts money from users with fake notifications from law enforcement agencies was recently updated with a component that allows it to spread via text message spam.
A new technique that allows attackers to hide encrypted malicious Android applications inside images could be used to evade detection by antivirus products and possibly Google Play's own malware scanner.
A new version of an Android worm called Selfmite has the potential to ramp up huge SMS charges for victims in its attempt to spread to as many devices as possible.
The strength of Apple's revised encryption scheme in iOS 8 hinges on users choosing a strong passcode or password, which they rarely do, according to a Princeton University fellow.
Around 45 percent of Android devices have a browser that is vulnerable to two serious security issues, but some countries have a considerably larger percentage of affected users than others, according to data from mobile security firm Lookout.
If you're looking to buy a used iPhone, iPad or iPod touch device, Apple is now offering an online tool to let you first check if it's been locked down by the previous owner, which could indicate that it was actually stolen or lost.
A malware program that targets Hong Kong activists using Apple devices has trademarks of being developed by a nation-state, possibly China, according to a security company.
The default browser in Android versions older than 4.4 has a vulnerability that allows malicious websites to bypass a critical security mechanism and take control of a user's authenticated sessions on other sites.
Many mobile apps request too many permissions and don't explain how they collect users' personal information, a study of 1,211 popular apps by the Global Privacy Enforcement Network has found.
Instagram, Grindr, OkCupid and many other Android applications fail to take basic precautions to protect their users' data, putting their privacy at risk, according to new study.
Future versions of the Firefox OS mobile platform will allow users to control application-specific permissions, a feature with both privacy and security benefits that's missing on Android.
Smartphones sold in California will soon be required to have a kill switch that lets users remotely lock them and wipe them of data in the event they are lost or stolen.
The U.S. National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) is developing a guide for testing third-party apps to ensure that they are secure and don't introduce any vulnerabilities.
Apple has done well to insulate its iOS mobile operating system from many security issues, but a forthcoming demonstration shows it's far from perfect.
BlackBerry's focus on strong security as a key differentiator for its devices does not mean that they're completely free of flaws. The company released security updates Tuesday for both the OS running on its smartphones and for its enterprise server ...
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Roving Rachel's best crowd-funded travel products that are online right now
- 3 ways to improve your sales this Mother’s Day
- Businesses can now buy apps in bulk from the Windows Store
- Apple partners with SAP in new enterprise push
- Newer Wi-Fi's faster, but it needs a fast wire behind it
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSenior Front End / UI Developer (React.js / LESS / SASS)NSW
- FTAGILE Training Manager/CoachNSW
- CCServiceNow / SACM ConsultantNSW
- CC.NET Developer (Application production Support)NSW
- CCContract IT Assistant (Network & System Mgt.) 160509/ITA/281Asia
- FTMs Dynamics Nav Support Analyst- Level 1/2WA
- CCEnvironment AnalystVIC
- FTTechnical Business Analyst - BINSW
- CCITIL Environment, Configuration, Release Manager- Banking/GovtNSW
- CCAnalyst Programmer (Lotus Notes/Networking) 160504/AP/781Asia
- FTSenior Network Engineer - Australian Systems Integrator - Immediate interviewNSW
- CCProgram Technical Director- Migration to SAP HR PayrollNSW
- CCSenior AGILE Business AnalystNSW
- CCSenior DevOps ConsultantVIC
- FTSenior Network Engineer | National Systems Integrator & MSP | CBD locationNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- CCAEM DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Developer - .Net, MVC, C#NSW
- CCWeb AdministratorACT
- CCSenior Master Data OfficerNSW
- FTSolution Delivery Manager ( RTTM)NSW
- FTTechnical Lead (Guidewire Policy Center)NSW
- CCCommunication and Change ManagerVIC
- CCService Desk OperatorACT
- CCIT Solution Architect - ApplicationsNSW