Samsung began production of the industry's first ultra-high-speed, 4Gbit, LPDDR3 mobile memory, which it says has performance levels comparable to the standard DRAM used in personal computers.
Samsung on Monday unveiled a sleek update to its Galaxy Tab product line, the 7-in. Galaxy Tab 3.
Samsung is second to Apple in tablet sales and coming on strong, though Samsung Galaxy Tab users remain well behind iPad users in how much they use the Web.
Microsoft garnered just a "niche" in the global tablet market in the first quarter of 2013, following a period of user confusion after the launch of Windows 8 and Windows RT tablets, analysts say.
With Google's futuristic wearable computers on the way, one research firm calculates that the worldwide market for smart glasses could reach nearly 10 million units by 2016.
BlackBerry needed to produce an updated qwerty device for its faithful base of 76 million subscribers, but it remains to be seen whether the Q10 will make serious inroads in reversing BlackBerry's decline.
BlackBerry's recent launch of the Z10 smartphone and the upcoming Q10 qwerty device were intended to put the company back on solid ground, but BlackBerry seems to be defending itself from a new crisis every week.
Samsung struck again Thursday, announcing two even bigger Galaxy Mega smartphones with 5.8-in. and 6.3-in. LCD HD screens.
A purported Microsoft roadmap for future releases of its Office suite showed a fall 2014 launch date for Office on Apple's iOS and Google's Android mobile operating systems, according to an online report.
The second-generation Nexus 7 tablet, powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon processor, will be launched around July, according to two unnamed sources in a Reuters report.
Amazon may be building a Kindle smartphone on a custom version of Android to be launched in the second half of 2013.
AT&T and Sprint Tuesday separately announced plans to start selling 32GB HTC One smartphones on April 19 for $199.99 with a two-year contract.
Expect enterprises to start instituting stricter policies to make BYOD a more secure and cost-effective policy.
The new Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone with HSPA+ costs $US236 for materials, up 15 per cent from the equivalent Galaxy S III, according to a virtual teardown by IHS iSuppli.
BlackBerry Z10 sales kick off this Friday in the U.S., but it is still unclear how popular the smartphone and its Q10 cousin running BlackBerry 10 will be, amid a number of contradictory predictions and indicators.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 2 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
- 3 Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 4 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 5 Huawei Mate 8 review: probably the best all-round Android phone you can buy
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Yahoo abandons fight, sells internet business to Verizon for $4.8B
- Cut the carbon footprint of your business by outsourcing your data centre management
- Frazzled or burnt out? You need downtime but where do you find it?
- The network matters for storage innovation
- IDC: Smartwatch sales decline for the first time
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCIP & Fixed Enablement SpecialistVIC
- CCMac (iOS) Support Engineer - $30 p/h - Three Year ContractNSW
- FTInfrastructure Technology Platform ManagerVIC
- FTUX DesignerVIC
- FTBusiness Analyst - Asset ManagementNSW
- CCTest Manager - Baseline SecurityVIC
- CCDigital Project Manager, AgileNSW
- FTPositive Vetted ICT positions - Defence intelligence and information securityACT
- FTProject ManagerVIC
- FTNV2 Defence Project ManagerACT
- CCCrystal reports expertACT
- CCContract IT Assistant (SQL/Windows) 160804/ITA/151Asia
- CCNetwork DesignerNSW
- CCInformatica DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Natural/ADABAS ProgrammerSA
- FTFull Stack DeveloperNSW
- CCAsp.Net Developer with Angular, SQL,Twitter Bootstrapper, CSSNSW
- FTSCCM Applications PackagerWA
- CCSenior Systems AdministratorQLD
- CCIT Security ArchitectVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Java/J2EE/MyEclise) 160721/AP/vmpAsia
- CCProject Coordinator/ Jr Business Analyst- Govt backgroundNSW
- CCeLearning Developer / Learning Management System AdministratorACT
- CCLead Business AnalystNSW