Details have emerged about Intel's upcoming Medfield chip platform for smartphones, which is due for release in 2011 and will succeed the company's existing Moorestown platform, which was originally announced in May.
Intel expects the first phones based on its Moorestown platform to be available early next year, and tablet PCs before that, it said Wednesday.
Intel plans to talk about its future technology and product plans at Computex, but doesn't have any big surprises lined up for the Taiwanese hardware show, which opened Tuesday.
Intel has set its sights on the burgeoning tablet computing market with its latest Moorestown chips, which the company believes will help break rival Arm's dominant position in the handheld device market.
Intel is going after the tablet market for its low-power processors, including an upcoming Atom processor designed for mobile phones, the company said.
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 3 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 4 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 5 MSI GS70 laptop review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Backdoor accounts found in 80 Sony IP security camera models
- Arago teaches an AI to play games, the better to manage IT systems
- Microsoft's LinkedIn deal clears the EU, will close in the coming days
- WD will make a record-breaking 14TB hard drive available next year
- Dropbox boosts mobile productivity with offline folder support
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- TV of the year award 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCBusiness Analyst - Reporting, Excel and AutoCAD experienceNSW
- CCSolution Architect - PHPNSW
- FTEngineering ManagerACT
- FTSolution DesignerVIC
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- FTLead Frontend DeveloperNSW
- TPSharePoint ConsultantACT
- FTNetwork EngineerVIC
- FTMurex/Java DeveloperNSW
- FTICT Business Liaison ManagerSA
- CCDigital Content StrategistVIC
- FTTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- CCSharePoint DeveloperACT
- CCiOS Developer - 6 Month ContractNSW
- FTSenior PMO Coordinator, FinanceWA
- CCApplication Blueprinting Engineer ( Developer).ACT
- FTWeb and Mobile iOS/Android Developer (Permanent)NSW
- CCDevelopment Manager / Engineering Manager - Canberra RoleNSW
- TPIT Project OfficerVIC
- CCSenior Financial PlannerNSW
- FTSystems Engineer - Managed Service ProviderNSW
- CCNetwork Security EngineerNSW
- CCDevelopment Lead - JavaNSW
- FTProject Management - Infrastructure projectsACT
- FTTechnology Portfolio - Performance AnalystACT