Perhaps this is why Windows 10 will be a free upgrade to both Windows 7 and Windows 8 owners: Windows 7 users simply refuse to give up using Microsoft's older OS.
Microsoft's Windows 8 may be lagging far behind Windows 7 in its usage uptake, but it's easily topping the low bar set by Windows Vista, according to data from Web metric firm Net Applications.
Driven by millions of upgrades, Windows 8's global usage share climbed by a third last month, but the new OS's adoption pace remained lethargic compared to that of its predecessor three years ago.
Windows 7 has broken the 4% market share barrier in less than three weeks, a mark that took Windows Vista five months to reach, a Web metrics company said today.
Maybe people are actually starting to tire of Microsoft's eight-year-old Windows XP.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- 2 Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- 3 Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- 4 LG G6 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Asus Strix RX 580 Gaming Top OC review: Proof that size matters
- Intel projects decline in chip prices, and AMD's Ryzen is one reason
- Google Cloud growth is outpacing the company's ad business
- Hands on with the unusual Acer Predator Triton 700 gaming laptop
- Acer's Aspire GX comes out of nowhere to be the first prebuilt Ryzen PC from a major vendor
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCServer SOE EngineerACT
- FTPHP / WordPress DeveloperQLD
- FTNetwork Solution Architect - PresalesNSW
- FTSenior Desktop Engineer - SCCM / AD / 2012 ServerNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTFull Stack Developer - Symfony 2QLD
- TPProject Support AnalystNSW
- FTIntegration DeveloperWA
- CCTest Analyst - Oracle CC&BVIC
- FTLevel 2 Software & Hardware Support position.VIC
- FTTIBCO Support Analyst - PERM DESKVIC
- FTPERMANENT Business AnalystsACT
- CCIT Information Architect..VIC
- CCSolution DesignerVIC
- CCDigital Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystVIC
- FTDeveloper - Python, Ruby, or PerlQLD
- CCTibco Integration Specialist l Port MacquarieNSW
- FTSolutions Architect (Collaboration Technology) - Permanent - Sydney CBDNSW
- TPProject Manager. Enterprise wide IT ProjectsNSW
- FTRisk and Quality ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Data Warehouse ConsultantNSW
- FTSenior System EngineerNSW
- FTFull Stack .NET DeveloperWA