Perhaps this is why Windows 10 will be a free upgrade to both Windows 7 and Windows 8 owners: Windows 7 users simply refuse to give up using Microsoft's older OS.
Microsoft's Windows 8 may be lagging far behind Windows 7 in its usage uptake, but it's easily topping the low bar set by Windows Vista, according to data from Web metric firm Net Applications.
Driven by millions of upgrades, Windows 8's global usage share climbed by a third last month, but the new OS's adoption pace remained lethargic compared to that of its predecessor three years ago.
Windows 7 has broken the 4% market share barrier in less than three weeks, a mark that took Windows Vista five months to reach, a Web metrics company said today.
Maybe people are actually starting to tire of Microsoft's eight-year-old Windows XP.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Staring at your phone? The next ARM chips are just for you
- Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella follows Apple’s Tim Cook to India
- Shared malware code links SWIFT-related breaches at banks and North Korean hackers
- US Senate proposal to require encryption workarounds may be dead
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTService Desk AnaylstNSW
- CCTechnical WriterACT
- FTSenior Full-Stack .NET DeveloperVIC
- FTAX Lead Functional ConsultantNSW
- FTTechnical WriterACT
- FTOPEN _ ASAP_Technical Specialist COEACT
- FTApplication Support EngineerVIC
- CCEnd to End Project Manager - PMO and GovernanceVIC
- CCRelease Manager, InfrastructureNSW
- CCDigital Content ProducerVIC
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTCloud ArchitectAsia
- CCSenior Business Analyst, Marketing SystemsNSW
- FTSenior Business Analysts - Payments or Disaster RecoveryVIC
- CCInfrastructure and Cloud Project ManagerVIC
- FTStorage SpecialistVIC
- CCIT Program ManagerACT
- CCTechnical Digital Producer / Requirements EngineerNSW
- FTNetwork EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Developer (Full stack)SA
- CCBusiness Intelligence (BI) AnalystQLD
- CCSenior Process AnalystVIC
- CCSr Service ManagementACT
- CCSystem Engineer - Server Migration experienceNSW
- CCProgram Business Implementation Director- HR Payroll, FINSW