Nokia Windows Phones were well-hidden during a tour of the company's phone-testing facility in San Diego, but they loomed large over the conversation.
Microsoft and Nokia are wooing Symbian developers, offering them help in porting applications to Windows Phone ahead of the launch of the Finnish company's first smartphone based on Microsoft's platform.
The latest additions to Nokia's phone portfolio, the C2-05 and the X2-05, come with a new browser that uses Nokia's own compression technology to deliver content faster, the company said in a blog post on Tuesday.
Nokia's N9 smartphone -- the first to run the company's MeeGo operating system -- is now available through Telstra after the telco detailed pricing and plans on its Web site.
Nokia has underlined the importance of low-cost smartphones and now it appears that the company is developing a Linux-based OS for smartphones that will cost less than US$100 without subsidies.
Nokia is planning to lay off an additional 3,500 employees, as the company continues to restructure after announcing its decision to focus on Microsoft's Windows Phone operating system.
Nokia has started shipping the N9, its first and last smartphone based on the MeeGo operating system, the company said on Tuesday.
Nokia's acting Chief Technology Officer Henry Tirri is to stay on in the role, after his predecessor Rich Green left the company on Thursday following three months leave to deal with a "personal matter."
Several of Microsoft's business productivity applications will be available for free on Nokia's latest Symbian Belle smartphones later this year, Nokia announced Thursday.
The community section of Nokia's <a href="http://www.developer.nokia.com/">developer site </a>was hacked, and some member's e-mail addresses have been accessed, the mobile phone maker said.
A hot-button question lately in the rapidly-growing smartphone market: Can a company succeed at selling smartphones and tablets without owning the software and the hardware?
Nokia has launched the 101, the company's most affordable dual-SIM phone to date, which allows users in developing countries to switch between two different networks to lower costs and expand coverage, the company said on Thursday.
Nokia announced Belle, an update of Symbian, along with three phones running the software, on Wednesday at an event in Hong Kong, as it tries to keep consumers interested in the OS.
Nokia's promised Symbian Anna software update is ready and downloads will be available Thursday, the company said in a blog post.
Nokia said Wednesday that it has entered into an agreement with Polar Mobile to launch more than 300 mobile applications for Nokia smartphones, including upcoming models based on Windows Phone, over the next 12 months.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Upgrading to SAP Hana? This new tool can help prepare your code
- The eyes have it: How one startup aims to change the future of VR
- Gaming on Linux, Steam machines set to soar with DirectX competitor Vulkan
- Google didn't abuse its position in Streetmap case, UK court rules
- New Chromebook won't break with 365-pound person standing on it
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- CCProject SchedulerVIC
- CCContract System Analyst (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160205/SA/881Asia
- CCSenior Network EngineersACT
- FTSenior Project AnalystVIC
- CCOracle Apex DeveloperQLD
- CCIBM ESB Developer (Junior to mid level role)NSW
- FTProject Manager | Defence projects | NV1/NV2 cleared | Canberra basedACT
- CCDesktop Applications PackagerSA
- FTSenior Front End Developer Required Working World Leading Digital TeamVIC
- FTSystems Administrator/Engineer | Projects & BAU | Coastal Newcastle NSWWA
- CCBilling Assistant / AdministrationACT
- CCSenior Identity ManagerVIC
- CCCisco Program Manager - Data Centre/Security ImplementationNSW
- CCSenior Android DeveloperNSW
- CCTeradata DeveloperNSW
- CCProcurement Sourcing SpecialistQLD
- FTTechnical Lead (C#/.Net)NSW
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- CCSenior Business Analyst, Enterprise Software SolutionNSW
- CCWindows System Admin, Administrator, Technical SupportNSW
- FTSenior Java DeveloperNSW
- CCTest ManagerQLD
- CCSenior Server EngineerNSW
- CCProject ManagerNSW