Accenture is taking on 3,000 <a href="http://www.computerworlduk.com/topics/nokia/">Nokia</a> staff who support and develop the Symbian operating system and support services.
Nokia, China's biggest handset vendor, reported on Wednesday that a mobile app aimed at helping rural Chinese users has become the company's fastest-growing service in the country.
Nokia will outsource its Symbian software activities to Accenture, transferring 3,000 employees to the company in the process, as it moves its focus to making phones running on Microsoft's Windows Phone operating system.
Nokia reported an increase in sales for the first quarter, but profit declined and the company expects a challenging second quarter as it bears the full brunt of component shortages resulting from the earthquake in Japan.
Nokia's move to the Windows Phone OS took the "wind" out of possible volume sales of Intel smartphone chips this year, but the chip maker has moved on, Intel CEO Paul Otellini said this week.
Nokia may be struggling to produce a high-end device to compete with the iPhone and various Android phones, but at least you can't accuse the Finnish giant of a lack of trying when it comes to marketing. The company is currently pushing its Nokia E7 ...
Nokia may have recently announced its intention to switch to the Windows Phone 7 platform for its high-end smartphones, but if you were hoping Symbian would die a quick death, you can think again -- Nokia will continue to release Symbian phones 'unti...
Microsoft detailed on Wednesday both the planned "Mango" update to its Windows Phone smartphone platform, due this fall with nearly 1,500 new APIs, and development tool improvements to help build applications for the platform.
Nokia launched an updated version of its Symbian^3 mobile operating system on Tuesday, along with two phones running the software, the X7 and the E6.
Nokia's recent decision to close the source code for its Symbian smartphone OS likely won't affect most application developers or consumers.
Developers who want to take advantage of Nokia's cross-platform application and user interface framework can now access the latest release candidate.
A convergence of historical circumstance and an increase in innovative mobile applications may make Africa the first post-PC continent.
Nokia Beta Labs has released Drop, an application that allows users to send images and links from a browser to a Symbian smartphone, according to a Tuesday blog post.
A year ago, Microsoft released free developer tools for its Windows Phone 7 mobile OS. Today, Microsoft is celebrating a set of numbers that show, the company says, developers have enthusiastically embraced the platform.
Nokia Australia will provide a 24-month warranty on all mobile phones purchased on or after 31 March, the company announced today.
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 3 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 4 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 5 MSI GS70 laptop review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft's "Holoportation" will virtually beam you into another room
- Russia claims it foiled a cyber attack from a foreign spy service
- Intel's silence on Optane SSDs raises questions about launch and focus
- Random iPhone 6s shutdowns due to faulty battery component, Apple says
- Researchers find a way bypass the iOS activation lock
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- TV of the year award 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTBusiness Development AnalystVIC
- CCSolution ArchitectACT
- CCSolution Architect - PHPNSW
- CCJava API Developer - MediaVIC
- CCMiddleware SpecialistNSW
- FTProject CoordinatorVIC
- CCChange AnalystNSW
- FTSenior UX DesignerVIC
- CCGIS ConsultantQLD
- CCPrincipal Business AnalystQLD
- CCSenior Java Developer/ WCEM ConsultantACT
- CCERP Benefits ManagerNSW
- CCPMO CoordinatorNSW
- TPTest LeadQLD
- CCBusiness and Reporting AnalystWA
- CCBusiness Development Manager | Digital MarketVIC
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- FTJava DevelopersWA
- FTNetwork ArchitectVIC
- FTSoftware TestersACT
- CCSolution Designer - Investment/Trading PlatformNSW
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW
- CCCapacity and Performance AnalystVIC
- CCService Desk/Helpdesk ConsultantNSW
- CCMid-level .NET or Java Developer/Programmer - Finance - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW