In an effort to spur cloud adoption, Microsoft is making an unusual move: participating in an open-source project.
The Apache Foundation has completed a major upgrade of its Maven software build system, making it speedier and more extensible.
OpenStack, the open-source cloud management software project formed by hosting provider Rackspace, has met an initial development milestone, backers are expected to announce Thursday.
The current model of selling commercial enterprise software is broken, charged the CEO for Red Hat. It is too expensive, doesn't address user needs and, worst of all, it leaves chief information officers holding all the risk of implementing new syste...
One of the most persistent myths surrounding Linux and other open source software is that there's no easy way to get good support. Just this week, for instance, we saw this claim used in Microsoft's anti-OpenOffice.org video, obviously with the hope ...
Sony Ericsson announced today that it's cutting the cord with the Symbian operating system, a move that may put the platform on life support. Sony Ericsson's withdrawal of support for the mobile OS means that the only major player left building phone...
The Back to the Future fan inside of us may want to call him "Doc," but his name is Dan Henriksson -- and he has just constructed a really awesome representation of a time machine. (Great scott!) The time machine concept is a "working" prototype (app...
With the arrival of Ubuntu 10.10, the list of reasons to try Linux for your business just got a little longer. The free and open source operating system is now more user-friendly than it's ever been before while still offering the many security and o...
The Mozilla Corporation announced Thursday that SAP executive Gary Kovacs is its new CEO, a move that gives the Firefox Web browser backer a leader with ample experience in mobile software.
A recent Microsoft video suggests the company considers OpenOffice.org a significant threat to its own Office suite.
Android 2.2, or "Froyo," may still be in the process of rolling out to users, but Google is already hard at work on "Gingerbread," the upcoming version of the mobile operating system that most expect to be numbered 3.0.
Oracle sought to dispel any doubts about its commitment to OpenOffice.org on Wednesday, announcing its participation in the ODF Plugfest event in Brussels this week and talking up future development plans for the open source productivity suite.
While it began life as a tool for indexing Web pages, the open source Hadoop framework is being marketed as a tool that could house and analyze vast amounts of data with the kind of proportions that would quickly overwhelm traditional database system...
A Firefox Trojan has been found to force the Internet browser to save user passwords and then use those passwords to create a new user account on the infected computer.
Bypassing a number of commercial portal packages, eBay has started using the Joomla open source content management software as a framework to provide its employes with analytic tools, the online auction giant said.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 2 Sony Xperia XZ review: turbo-charged last-gen phone
- 3 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 4 Sony X9300D and X8500D UHD 4K TV review
- 5 Moto X Force review: Leading features from a mid-range phone
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- EU privacy watchdogs seek answers from WhatsApp and Yahoo about users' data
- Pennsylvania man sentenced to 18 months for celeb hacking
- Personal data of 550,000 Red Cross blood donors was breached
- Yet another Apple dongle: Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter now available
- Meet Apple’s complete MacBook lineup
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- Japan Robot, gadget and car expo slideshow
- Panasonic DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review: Best all-round TV ever?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Functional Consultant Advanced Warehouse ManagementACT
- FTMid-Level .NET DeveloperVIC
- FTDevelopment Manager - Web, Mobile and CMSNSW
- CCSiebel Technical Integration SpecialistACT
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Telco - Melbourne CBDVIC
- CCSenior Frontend Developer (Angular or React or Ember)NSW
- FTFrontend Developer/DesignerNSW
- CCPre Sales Solution SpecialistVIC
- FTAX Functional ConsultantNSW
- FTEnterprise Database Manager - Defence - Permanent - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTLinux AdministratorNSW
- TPFrontend DeveloperNSW
- CCWeb Programmer - Sydney - GovernmentNSW
- CCContract Junior Programmer (PC LAN Support) 161028/JP/203Asia
- CCVisualisation Business Analyst -NSW
- CCSystem & Network EngineerVIC
- CCSecurity ExpertVIC
- CCChange ManagerQLD
- FTAutomated Test AnalystNSW
- TPiOS DeveloperNSW
- FTApplication Programmer - Software - HealthVIC
- FTProject Lead / Business Analyst | SalesforceQLD
- CCSoftware DeveloperWA
- TPJava Software DeveloperQLD
- FTDigital StrategistACT