Although Microsoft will let pirates upgrade to Windows 10, the company's not giving them a free pass, the company confirmed today.
Microsoft will upgrade only those PCs and tablets running Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Update to Windows 10 later this year via the Windows Update service, the company revealed Wednesday.
Microsoft will offer a free upgrade to Windows 10 to users running pirated copies of earlier editions.
Windows 10 will arrive this summer, and Microsoft is tapping an unlikely partner to help test it: Chinese Android handset maker Xiaomi.
Microsoft is out to kill passwords by providing an option to log in to its upcoming Windows 10 OS, applications and Web services via fingerprint, face or iris detection.
One day, Microsoft promises, you won't need a password to log in to your Windows 10 PC. That promise is Windows Hello, which will use your face or fingerprint as your passport for Windows and the web.
Reacting to the surging popularity of the Docker virtualization technology, Red Hat has customized a version of its Linux distribution to run Docker containers.
If Windows 10 is key to Microsoft's effort to succeed in mobile, then the universal app platform is the technology that could make that happen. It promises to bring developers the cross-device nirvana they have long sought from Microsoft, but there a...
Microsoft's Windows Phone 8 OS hasn't taken the world by storm, but its successor, Windows 10, is off to an encouraging start even before its release.
Firefox OS, the smartphone operating system from Mozilla targeted at low-cost smartphones in emerging markets, is coming to more developed markets.
Hey, Cortana: You're supposed to be making life simpler--at least, when helping people use Microsoft's Windows Phone and Windows 10.
Perhaps this is why Windows 10 will be a free upgrade to both Windows 7 and Windows 8 owners: Windows 7 users simply refuse to give up using Microsoft's older OS.
A faster Raspberry Pi 2 computer is now shipping without a rise in price, and for the first time it will support Microsoft's Windows 10 OS for the development of smart devices and appliances.
Apple's efforts this week to remedy the Wi-Fi connectivity issues plaguing many OS X users produced mediocre results, judging by comments left in Apple's support forum.
Prognostications about Microsoft killing the desktop in Windows 10 are coming true -- but only for the smallest of tablets.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- 2 Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- 3 Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- 4 LG G6 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- NSA ends surveillance tactic that pulled in citizens' emails, texts
- Stealthy Mac malware spies on encrypted browser traffic
- Microsoft reinstates My People for Windows 10, connecting you to your BFFs
- This overclocked EVGA GTX 1050 Ti costs less than reference models
- Google's Chrome will soon start warning you more about HTTP pages
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTTIBCO DeveloperVIC
- FTDrupal Developer - Senior or Mid levelQLD
- FTSenior Infrastructure Business AnalystVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTProject Coordinator ($280-$300 per day)NSW
- TPService Desk OperatorQLD
- FTIT ArchitectNSW
- TPProject Manager. Enterprise wide IT ProjectsNSW
- FTSenior Security Solution Architect - Permanent - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTFinance AnalystNSW
- FTPERMANENT Business AnalystsQLD
- CCFirewall EngineerNSW
- FTSystems Development Assistant Team LeadNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC
- FTProgram L&D Manager, Financial ServicesNSW
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerQLD
- FTSolution ArchitectNSW
- CCEnd User Services ArchitectNSW
- CCCRM Techno FunctionalistQLD
- FTProduct Manager (IT Clinical Systems) - Permanent - Syd, Melb or BrisbNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FT.Net DeveloperNSW
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerNSW
- TPEnterprise ArchitectQLD
- CCTraining Lead - TelcoVIC