Although Microsoft will let pirates upgrade to Windows 10, the company's not giving them a free pass, the company confirmed today.
Microsoft will upgrade only those PCs and tablets running Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Update to Windows 10 later this year via the Windows Update service, the company revealed Wednesday.
Microsoft will offer a free upgrade to Windows 10 to users running pirated copies of earlier editions.
Windows 10 will arrive this summer, and Microsoft is tapping an unlikely partner to help test it: Chinese Android handset maker Xiaomi.
Microsoft is out to kill passwords by providing an option to log in to its upcoming Windows 10 OS, applications and Web services via fingerprint, face or iris detection.
One day, Microsoft promises, you won't need a password to log in to your Windows 10 PC. That promise is Windows Hello, which will use your face or fingerprint as your passport for Windows and the web.
Reacting to the surging popularity of the Docker virtualization technology, Red Hat has customized a version of its Linux distribution to run Docker containers.
If Windows 10 is key to Microsoft's effort to succeed in mobile, then the universal app platform is the technology that could make that happen. It promises to bring developers the cross-device nirvana they have long sought from Microsoft, but there a...
Microsoft's Windows Phone 8 OS hasn't taken the world by storm, but its successor, Windows 10, is off to an encouraging start even before its release.
Firefox OS, the smartphone operating system from Mozilla targeted at low-cost smartphones in emerging markets, is coming to more developed markets.
Hey, Cortana: You're supposed to be making life simpler--at least, when helping people use Microsoft's Windows Phone and Windows 10.
Perhaps this is why Windows 10 will be a free upgrade to both Windows 7 and Windows 8 owners: Windows 7 users simply refuse to give up using Microsoft's older OS.
A faster Raspberry Pi 2 computer is now shipping without a rise in price, and for the first time it will support Microsoft's Windows 10 OS for the development of smart devices and appliances.
Apple's efforts this week to remedy the Wi-Fi connectivity issues plaguing many OS X users produced mediocre results, judging by comments left in Apple's support forum.
Prognostications about Microsoft killing the desktop in Windows 10 are coming true -- but only for the smallest of tablets.
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 3 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 4 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 5 MSI GS70 laptop review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Qualcomm's new chip may be too late as ARM server market fades
- Democrats unveil bill to probe Russia's role in alleged election hacks
- Halo 5: Forge's multiplayer is now more accessible on PC with a new custom game browser
- Amazon replaces cashiers with AI and computer learning
- Ubisoft's 30th anniversary putters across the finish line with free copies of Assassin's Creed III
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCFunctional Consultant - Brisbane locationOther
- FTIT Information Security AdvisorNSW
- TPNetwork EngineerVIC
- CCSecurity Architect Finance Contract Sydney CBDNSW
- FTAndroid Technical Lead (Work From Home 2-3 Days)NSW
- FTGraduate DeveloperNSW
- CCPerformance Test AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Financial Planner - BallaratVIC
- TPApplications Project ManagerQLD
- FTNetwork Engineer / Systems Engineer (January 2017 Start)QLD
- FTSoftware / Web Development ManagerNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - BI, DataNSW
- FTService Desk Analyst / Security EngineerQLD
- CCPSCD/ CRM Business/Financial AnalystsACT
- FTPrincipal Product Manager | Cloud | Managed ServicesNSW
- FTFinancial AnalystNSW
- CCNetwork AnalystNSW
- FTLevel 2 Service Desk AnalystQLD
- CCWeb AnalystNSW
- CCTechnical SpecialistNSW
- CCSenior Performance Test AnalystQLD
- FTPaid Search SpecialistNSW
- FTSalesforce Solutions Architect/DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- FTMid Level .Net DeveloperNSW