Ericsson has won a contract worth an undisclosed amount to build a nationwide transmission network for mobile telco VHA, involving the construction of thousands of upgraded microwave radio and optic fibre links around the country.
Demand for high-speed links to cell sites and homes will rejuvenate sales of optical network equipment this year and help to create a US$16.6 billion worldwide market for it by 2014, according to research firm Dell'Oro Group.
Alcatel-Lucent will try to tackle the growing volume of traffic on carrier networks with an optical switch that can handle 4T bits per second (bps) while consuming less power per bit than today's equipment.
Intel is working on a new optical interconnect that could possibly link mobile devices to displays and storage up to 100 meters away, a company official said on Wednesday.
Voracious Web surfers, e-mailers and downloaders will use up the trans-Atlantic cables that were overbuilt early in this decade within the next five years, forcing carriers to invest in new ones in a market that's become used to adding bandwidth chea...
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 3 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 4 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 5 MSI GS70 laptop review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Intel, Microsoft going long distance with Cortana on Windows 10 PCs
- Obama orders review of election hacks as Trump doubts Russia's role
- Ransomware attacks against businesses increased threefold in 2016
- Attackers use hacked home routers to hit Russia's 5 largest banks
- US mulls rules for airlines that plan in-flight Wi-Fi voice calls
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSenior Architect, Financial MarketsNSW
- CCProject Manager - Procurement System ImplementationNSW
- FTCitrix AdministratorNSW
- CCIT Project ManagerQLD
- FTSupport EngineerNSW
- CCPMO CoordinatorNSW
- FTSenior Java DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Software EngineerWA
- FTTraining & Implementation Manager, PlatformNSW
- CCSAP HR/Payroll Training Manager / Instructional DesignerNSW
- CCProduct OwnerNSW
- FTNode.js/API DeveloperNSW
- CCIteration Manager / Scrum MasterOther
- CCIteration Manager / Scrum MasterNSW
- FTDesktop Support Team LeaderVIC
- FTChief Security Officer l CISSP l ISO27001VIC
- CCTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / Kronos)NSW
- CCWindows System EngineerNSW
- FTChief Security Officer l CISSP l ISO27001NSW
- CCChange AnalystNSW
- FTIT Client Support AnalystNSW
- CCTest EngineerQLD
- FTSOE Team LeaderWA
- PTSenior Software Engineer Developer | 6mthsSA
- CCProject Manager/Scrum MasterNSW