U.S. and Canadian courts have approved the sale of thousands of patents from bankrupt Nortel Networks to a consortium including Apple and Microsoft for about US$4.5 billion.
Apple has filed another complaint against HTC with the U.S. International Trade Commission, alleging patent infringement by the Taiwanese smartphone and tablet maker.
Oracle this week filed what is likely the first of several requests that the patent office reconsider its initial rejection of a patent relevant to Oracle's legal dispute with Google.
Will handset makers maintain their dedication to Android if they have to pay to license it? That's the question experts following Google's battle with Oracle are asking, and some of them think the answer is no.
Amazon.com has lost an appeal to be granted a patent for its "one-click" ordering system, with the European Patent Office (EPO) ruling that the method was too obvious and not inventive.
Smartphone vendor High Tech Computer (HTC) will acquire graphics chip maker S3 Graphics for US$300 million, strengthening its patent portfolio in the process.
Google has asked a California court to throw out the testimony of an expert witness who said Google should pay Oracle as much as US$6 billion for allegedly infringing on Java patents and copyright.
Samsung is withdrawing a countersuit against Apple in the ongoing patent infringement battle between the two. It is not surrendering, but seems to be falling back and regrouping--consolidating its legal position and business operations.
Apple took its patent infringement suit against Samsung to the next level on Friday when it asked the U.S. District Court to issue a preliminary injunction against sales of a Samsung tablet and phones.
Nortel Networks has auctioned off its remaining patents and patent applications to a consortium of key technology companies for a cash purchase price of US$4.5 billion.
A ruling on Eastman Kodak's patent case against Apple and Research In Motion may be delayed until August after the U.S. International Trade Commission sent the issue back to a judge who had earlier ruled against Kodak.
Microsoft signed two deals this week with companies that agreed to pay royalties for technology used in Android devices, following a similar deal the software giant made with HTC last year.
The U.S. House of Representatives has voted to approve a bill that would overhaul the U.S. patent system and allow for a new review of patents after they are approved by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
When Steve Jobs unveiled the original iPhone at Macworld Expo 2007, he lauded its multitouch interface. "And boy, have we patented it," he added. It seems that now, four and a half years after Jobs declared the iPhone's innovations worth protecting, ...
Texas Instruments said Thursday it has agreed to license two patents from Eolas Technologies, which two years ago sued more than 20 companies for alleged patent infringement including TI, Google, Yahoo, Apple and Amazon.com.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Kogan Agora 4G Pro review: the final word on Kogan's best smartphone
- 2 Sony Xperia Z4 Tablet (LTE) review: The tablet of choice for anyone on Android
- 3 Bose SoundLink Mini II Bluetooth speaker review
- 4 Apple MacBook Air 2015 review: Only better with time
- 5 Lenovo ThinkPad T550 laptop
Join the PC World newsletter!
Deals on PC World
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps
- Telstra TV will offer Netflix, Presto and Stan
- Making Windows 10 was like 'ordering pizza for 1.5 billion people'
- Motorola Moto E (2nd Gen) review
- No building access card? No problem if you have new Def Con tools
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCInternal Communications ExecutiveNSW
- FTAccount Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager & Account ManagerVIC
- FTTechnical Sales Support Representative - The Worlds largest Search Engine!NSW
- CCLead Generator - Software SolutionsNSW
- CCAccount Strategist | Sales Executive | Global Search EngineNSW
- CCMarketing Coordinator - World's largest search engine!NSW
- FTDesktop Engineering ManagerNSW
- FTDevOps Consultant - Microsoft Experience - Digital ConsultancyVIC
- FTField EngineerNSW