The U.S. Senate has passed legislation intended to rein in the National Security Agency's bulk collection of domestic telephone records, sending the bill to President Barack Obama for his signature.
The U.S. Senate will return early from a week-long recess in a last-ditch effort to extend provisions of the Patriot Act that the National Security Agency have used to collect millions of domestic telephone records over the past nine years.
A long-standing effort to extend privacy protections to email and other data in the cloud got new life Thursday when U.S. lawmakers introduced not one, but two bills to reform the country's electronic privacy laws.
Democrats in the U.S. Congress have wasted no time in resurrecting a debate over net neutrality rules, with lawmakers introducing a bill that would ban paid traffic priority agreements between broadband providers and Web content producers.
The U.S. Senate has voted against a bill that would rein in the National Security Agency's bulk collection of telephone records within the country, possibly killing any NSA reforms until next year.
After six months of contentious debate over U.S. National Security Agency surveillance programs, prompted by leaks from former government contractor Edward Snowden, the third week in December may have marked a major turning point.
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 3 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 4 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 5 MSI GS70 laptop review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Intel, Microsoft going long distance with Cortana on Windows 10 PCs
- Obama orders review of election hacks as Trump doubts Russia's role
- Ransomware attacks against businesses increased threefold in 2016
- Attackers use hacked home routers to hit Russia's 5 largest banks
- US mulls rules for airlines that plan in-flight Wi-Fi voice calls
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCSolutions Designer/Architect- ServiceNowVIC
- CCTechnical Application Specialist (Cerner)QLD
- CCWindows Systems Engineer - AD, VMware, RedHat experienceNSW
- CCTest EngineerQLD
- CCSales Support AssociateNSW
- FTSoftware Developer - LMSNSW
- FTFront End DeveloperVIC
- FTNetwork EngineerSA
- FTAngular DeveloperSA
- FTSoftware Implementation ConsultantVIC
- FTJava DeveloperSA
- FTBusiness Reporting AnalystNSW
- TPBusiness Analyst | HealthQLD
- CCSoftware TesterACT
- CCCloud Automation Engineer. Work Location - CanberraACT
- CCService Desk Consultant - SYDNEY ROLE (baseline clearance)ACT
- FTProduct LeadVIC
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperNSW
- FTEnterprise Account ManagerQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst **FIFO TO MONGOLIA**QLD
- FTAndroid Technical Lead (Work From Home 2-3 Days)NSW
- TPDevelopers and TestersACT
- TPWeb DeveloperSA
- CCWindows System EngineerNSW
- FTUI DeveloperVIC