Photoshop's Lens Flare filter is an effect that's been so over used over the years, it's become something of a cliche in digital illustration. Which is a shame, since in the right situation, it can provide a powerful lighting enhancement to a piece.
Want to create a beautiful, dreamlike painting full of subtle details but with a bold 80s colour scheme? Design duo KittoZutto show you how in this tutorial on creating an airbrushed portrait tapping the glory days of Athena posters.
Image backgrounds in digital art can be more than simply act as incidental scenery to a piece of work. Rather, with good planning and some honed colour skills, it’s possible for backgrounds to frame an image in an incredible variety of ways.
Creating vibrant, eye-catching images like this one needn't be a complex or time-consuming affair. In this tutorial, James White shows how to add a vivid retro flair to a striking model shot kindly provided by <i>ThinkStock.com.
Kyle DeTella makes heavy use of Photoshop's Warp and Burn tools to create an abstraction composition based on his current work.
Here, illustrator Ciara Phelan shows you how to hone your cut-out skills to prepare images for collaging. You’ll also learn some handy tricks to give your images a vintage look.
The 1980s are back -- their influence is currently everywhere, from fashion to music, and nowhere are they more visible than in digital art.
In this brilliant tutorial, Photoshop wizard Fabio Sasso puts layer masks and Photoshop’s built-in filters to good use to create a beautiful, enchanting image that wouldn’t be out of place in a children’s book.
In this tutorial, Gordon Reid -- who works under the creative handle Middle Boop -- shows how he blended retro imagery and colour schemes with digital technology to create a stunning cover image for Digital Arts Magazine.
In this tutorial, Sam Gilbey shows how to create an appealing, realistic face that draws the eye.
Training yourself to be a good everyday observer and asking yourself questions such as “What else could I do with that?” will help you develop your art and unleash the potential of ordinary items; you don’t know how you could use something you’ve ove...
The 16th-century Baroque art movement saw artists such as Giovanni Baglione use chiaroscuro (Italian for light and dark) to add a sense of depth, atmosphere, and emotion to their work. But such lighting effects aren’t limited to paint on canvas – it ...
In this tutorial, Yuta Onoda shows how you can transform a pencil sketch into a gorgeous, textured digital artwork using layer masks and blending modes. You’ll also learn how to add realism to your artwork by faking print offsets and paint spatters.
One of the many benefits of working digitally is the ability to compose and composite quickly and efficiently. Photoshop and Illustrator offer tools to make this ever easier and now, and with some new additions in Adobe Creative Suite 3 or 4, it’s be...
If you've ever tried to alter the color and light values of specific areas of a picture, you know it can be a time-consuming, frustrating, skill-intensive task. First, you have to carefully and expertly select the area with a mask. After you make you...
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Nvidia chief downplays challenge from Google’s AI chip
- Flaw in popular WordPress plug-in Jetpack puts over a million websites at risk
- Asus unveils Zenbo, a cute robot for the home priced at $599
- Australia lagging decades behind in cyber security efforts: ACCS
- Google's Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) speed up web browsing for users
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSolution ArchitectACT
- CCIT Assistant (Lotus Notes/LAN/Anti-Virus) 160524/ITA/074Asia
- CCSenior Network Engineer - NV1ACT
- FTBI / Business Intelligence Designer / ArchitectNSW
- CCSenior Portfolio Analyst - Risk and MetricsNSW
- CCEnd to End Project Manager - PMO and GovernanceVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst, Contributions TaxNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160606/AP/251Asia
- CCBI/Information/Data/Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCSenior Automation & Performance EngineerVIC
- CCProgram Communications SpecialistVIC
- FTData Feeds Developer | Financial Services | C# & SQLNSW
- FTScrum MasterVIC
- CCIT Security Consultant -NSW
- CCData Feeds Developer | Financial Services | C# & SQLNSW
- CCTechnology Lead / Senior Developer - Java (Urgent)NSW
- FTService Desk AnaylstNSW
- CCNV1 Consultant | Groundbreaking Defence decision support applicationACT
- FTApplication Support EngineerVIC
- CCDeemed Order Business SpecialistVIC
- FTMid-Level Full-Stack Java DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Business Analysts - Payments or Disaster RecoveryVIC
- FTInfrastructure Specialist VMwareNSW
- CCSr. Net DeveloperVIC
- FTPermanent Defence network engineer - career progression & flexible conditionsACT