Photoshop's Lens Flare filter is an effect that's been so over used over the years, it's become something of a cliche in digital illustration. Which is a shame, since in the right situation, it can provide a powerful lighting enhancement to a piece.
Want to create a beautiful, dreamlike painting full of subtle details but with a bold 80s colour scheme? Design duo KittoZutto show you how in this tutorial on creating an airbrushed portrait tapping the glory days of Athena posters.
Image backgrounds in digital art can be more than simply act as incidental scenery to a piece of work. Rather, with good planning and some honed colour skills, it’s possible for backgrounds to frame an image in an incredible variety of ways.
Creating vibrant, eye-catching images like this one needn't be a complex or time-consuming affair. In this tutorial, James White shows how to add a vivid retro flair to a striking model shot kindly provided by <i>ThinkStock.com.
Kyle DeTella makes heavy use of Photoshop's Warp and Burn tools to create an abstraction composition based on his current work.
Here, illustrator Ciara Phelan shows you how to hone your cut-out skills to prepare images for collaging. You’ll also learn some handy tricks to give your images a vintage look.
The 1980s are back -- their influence is currently everywhere, from fashion to music, and nowhere are they more visible than in digital art.
In this brilliant tutorial, Photoshop wizard Fabio Sasso puts layer masks and Photoshop’s built-in filters to good use to create a beautiful, enchanting image that wouldn’t be out of place in a children’s book.
In this tutorial, Gordon Reid -- who works under the creative handle Middle Boop -- shows how he blended retro imagery and colour schemes with digital technology to create a stunning cover image for Digital Arts Magazine.
In this tutorial, Sam Gilbey shows how to create an appealing, realistic face that draws the eye.
Training yourself to be a good everyday observer and asking yourself questions such as “What else could I do with that?” will help you develop your art and unleash the potential of ordinary items; you don’t know how you could use something you’ve ove...
The 16th-century Baroque art movement saw artists such as Giovanni Baglione use chiaroscuro (Italian for light and dark) to add a sense of depth, atmosphere, and emotion to their work. But such lighting effects aren’t limited to paint on canvas – it ...
In this tutorial, Yuta Onoda shows how you can transform a pencil sketch into a gorgeous, textured digital artwork using layer masks and blending modes. You’ll also learn how to add realism to your artwork by faking print offsets and paint spatters.
One of the many benefits of working digitally is the ability to compose and composite quickly and efficiently. Photoshop and Illustrator offer tools to make this ever easier and now, and with some new additions in Adobe Creative Suite 3 or 4, it’s be...
If you've ever tried to alter the color and light values of specific areas of a picture, you know it can be a time-consuming, frustrating, skill-intensive task. First, you have to carefully and expertly select the area with a mask. After you make you...
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 2 Sony Xperia XZ review: turbo-charged last-gen phone
- 3 Sony X9300D and X8500D UHD 4K TV review
- 4 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 5 Moto X Force review: Leading features from a mid-range phone
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Apple sales, profits fall again but a brighter outlook ahead
- AWS quietly launches tool for migrating on-premesis apps to the cloud
- Intel wants to make its IoT chips see, think, and act
- Workstation software flaw exposes industrial control systems to hacking
- Critical account creation flaws patched in popular Joomla CMS
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- Japan Robot, gadget and car expo slideshow
- Panasonic DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review: Best all-round TV ever?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- TPSenior Full Stack .NET Developer - AngularJSNSW
- FTSOE ArchitectNSW
- CCServiceNow ConsultantNSW
- CCMultiple Defence Opportunities - NV2SA
- CCDefence Opportunities - Baseline, NV1 or NV2SA
- FTScrum MasterNSW
- FTUI UX Specialist | Technical BAQLD
- CCIT Infrastructure Project ManagerQLD
- TPICT Security SpecialistQLD
- FTPega DeveloperVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst- (MQC, QTP, BPMN, Visio or System Architect;NSW
- TPSenior Configuration Management SpecialistNSW
- FTBusiness/Technical Consultant (CPM)QLD
- FTSolution ArchitectACT
- FTBusiness Analyst - PIMAsia
- CCContract IT Assistant (PC LAN Support) 161114/ITA/411Asia
- FTService Desk AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- FTLead Frontend DeveloperNSW
- CCTechnology TrainerNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE/Oracle/SQL) 161018/AP/812Asia
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTNetwork and Security Engineer - Checkpoint, Firewalls, VPNNSW
- FTSenior Functional Analyst - PeopleSoftQLD
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Windows Server) 161031/AP/962Asia