Photoshop's Lens Flare filter is an effect that's been so over used over the years, it's become something of a cliche in digital illustration. Which is a shame, since in the right situation, it can provide a powerful lighting enhancement to a piece.
Want to create a beautiful, dreamlike painting full of subtle details but with a bold 80s colour scheme? Design duo KittoZutto show you how in this tutorial on creating an airbrushed portrait tapping the glory days of Athena posters.
Image backgrounds in digital art can be more than simply act as incidental scenery to a piece of work. Rather, with good planning and some honed colour skills, it’s possible for backgrounds to frame an image in an incredible variety of ways.
Creating vibrant, eye-catching images like this one needn't be a complex or time-consuming affair. In this tutorial, James White shows how to add a vivid retro flair to a striking model shot kindly provided by <i>ThinkStock.com.
Kyle DeTella makes heavy use of Photoshop's Warp and Burn tools to create an abstraction composition based on his current work.
Here, illustrator Ciara Phelan shows you how to hone your cut-out skills to prepare images for collaging. You’ll also learn some handy tricks to give your images a vintage look.
The 1980s are back -- their influence is currently everywhere, from fashion to music, and nowhere are they more visible than in digital art.
In this brilliant tutorial, Photoshop wizard Fabio Sasso puts layer masks and Photoshop’s built-in filters to good use to create a beautiful, enchanting image that wouldn’t be out of place in a children’s book.
In this tutorial, Gordon Reid -- who works under the creative handle Middle Boop -- shows how he blended retro imagery and colour schemes with digital technology to create a stunning cover image for Digital Arts Magazine.
In this tutorial, Sam Gilbey shows how to create an appealing, realistic face that draws the eye.
Training yourself to be a good everyday observer and asking yourself questions such as “What else could I do with that?” will help you develop your art and unleash the potential of ordinary items; you don’t know how you could use something you’ve ove...
The 16th-century Baroque art movement saw artists such as Giovanni Baglione use chiaroscuro (Italian for light and dark) to add a sense of depth, atmosphere, and emotion to their work. But such lighting effects aren’t limited to paint on canvas – it ...
In this tutorial, Yuta Onoda shows how you can transform a pencil sketch into a gorgeous, textured digital artwork using layer masks and blending modes. You’ll also learn how to add realism to your artwork by faking print offsets and paint spatters.
One of the many benefits of working digitally is the ability to compose and composite quickly and efficiently. Photoshop and Illustrator offer tools to make this ever easier and now, and with some new additions in Adobe Creative Suite 3 or 4, it’s be...
If you've ever tried to alter the color and light values of specific areas of a picture, you know it can be a time-consuming, frustrating, skill-intensive task. First, you have to carefully and expertly select the area with a mask. After you make you...
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 3 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 4 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 5 MSI GS70 laptop review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft's "Holoportation" will virtually beam you into another room
- Russia claims it foiled a cyber attack from a foreign spy service
- Intel's silence on Optane SSDs raises questions about launch and focus
- Random iPhone 6s shutdowns due to faulty battery component, Apple says
- Researchers find a way bypass the iOS activation lock
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- TV of the year award 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSolutions Architect - Data Centre/ NetworkQLD
- FTInfrastructure and Data Centre Support OfficerACT
- CCBusiness Systems AnalystVIC
- CCChange Manager (Office365) required for leading digital innovator in SydneyNSW
- CCInfrastructure Architect - Immediate Start - Migration Project -Hyper-V & VMWareNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectACT
- CCAutomated Test EngineerACT
- CCSecurity Architect Finance Contract Sydney CBDNSW
- CCService Desk OfficerQLD
- FTLead Frontend DeveloperNSW
- CCTest Lead : Perth BasedQLD
- CCMainframe Developer (with ASP.NET)ACT
- FTLevel 3 Managed Services ConsultantNSW
- CCSenior Back-end Developer/Database DesignerNSW
- TPSAP BO DeveloperWA
- FTSenior Project CoordinatorNSW
- CCCloud Automation EngineerACT
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Telco - Melbourne CBDVIC
- CCAgile Iteration ManagerNSW
- FTSAP Finance Consultant (Consolidations)ACT
- CCJava DeveloperWA
- FTLevel 2/3 Application Support SpecialistQLD
- CCSenior Systems EngineerVIC
- TPSenior Software EngineerQLD
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW