A facial recognition trade group's proposals for privacy standards are an "extreme" departure from U.S. expectations on how personal data should be handled, a privacy advocate said Tuesday.
Congress needs to do more to protect private data of U.S. citizens from government surveillance and the misuse of technology by companies, a top Microsoft executive said Tuesday.
Banning the use of privacy and proxy services to hide details of domain name registrants would scarcely inconvenience criminals but would have privacy implications for lawful users of those services, according to a study.
The U.S. National Security Agency has been allowed to continue to collect phone records in bulk of people in the country, while lawmakers consider new legislation that would block the agency from collecting the data.
The U.S. House of Representatives has voted to limit the National Security Agency's ability to search U.S. records, after a similar provision was stripped out of a bill intended to rein in the agency.
Responding to more than a year of pressure, Google and Microsoft will follow Apple in adding an anti-theft "kill switch" to their smartphone operating systems, U.S. law enforcement officials will announce later Thursday.
Mining personal data to deliver targeted ads is the lifeblood of Google's business -- and of many other online firms. But what if that data dries up at the source?
The Irish High Court has referred to a 14-year-old agreement governing the exchange of personal data between the European Union and the U.S. to the EU's top court.
British spies are authorized to spy on British citizens' Internet communications transiting through servers outside the U.K., a civil rights group has discovered.
A federal judge's order on Friday could force the U.S. government to reveal more information about its widespread collection of citizens' phone records.
Personal information, including Social Security numbers and call records, was accessed for an unknown number of AT&T Mobility customers by people outside of the company, AT&T has confirmed.
Facebook is moving to offer users a familiar trade-off: their browsing privacy in return for more targeted advertising. Those who find that no deal at all will be able to use opt-out tools, but all users will be given a little more control over the a...
A U.S. federal appeals court ruled Wednesday that law enforcement officials need to have a warrant to access phone location data from cellular carriers.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- New Microsoft beta lets workers build their own apps without coding
- Intel is on the verge of exiting the smartphone and tablet markets after cutting Atom chips
- 5 (more) reasons to be a data scientist
- FCC wireless auction hits spectrum target, paving way for fast, reliable 5G
- IBM offers advice on how to secure blockchain in the cloud
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCTransition Program ManagerNSW
- CCContract Snr IT Assistant (IT Operation/UNIX) 160504/SITA/982Asia
- CCSystem AnalystNSW
- FTFront End DeveloperSA
- CCContract Programmer (Crystal Report/HTML/SQL) 160428/P/244Asia
- FTIT Support Engineer - Managed Service Provider - No two days are the sameNSW
- CCWeb AdministratorACT
- FTSenior Network Engineer | National Systems Integrator & MSP | CBD locationNSW
- FTITSM Head of Service Desk & SwitchboardACT
- CCSenior UX/UI DesignerNSW
- CCSharepoint DeveloperVIC
- CCData Management & Reporting Development OfficerSA
- FTDigital Account Manager - Online MediaNSW
- CCData AnalystVIC
- CCIT Program Delivery Office Lead- Government BackgroundNSW
- CCWebOps EngineerVIC
- CCApplication Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCMicrosoft Server EngineerWA
- CCServiceNow / SACM ConsultantNSW
- CCWindows Server EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Revenue Systems Functional AnalystSA
- CCInfra Project Manager-Data Center, Cloud, Storage, NetworkNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - ICT SecurityNSW
- CCProject ManagerVIC
- CCChange Manager x 2NSW