Handset maker ZTE said it will be the first vendor to launch smartphones using Nvidia's Tegra 4 processor, with new models slated to arrive in China before mid-year.
Broadcom says it's invented a chip that can tell your phone where you are all the time without quickly draining your battery.
Hoping to extend Linux's reach to ARM-based networking equipment, the not-for-profit engineering group Linaro has launched an initiative to develop code to run routers, switches and other networking equipment.
Nvidia on Tuesday announced the GeForce GTX Titan, a GPU designed to handle the most demanding games by harnessing the processing power of 2,668 graphics cores.
Chipmaker LSI is taking ARM-based processors to new frontiers with its upcoming AXM5500 family, which will be used in mobile base stations of all sizes.
Nvidia hopes to power sub-$200 smartphones and tablets under $300 with its latest Tegra 4i processor, which is also the company's first chip with an integrated LTE modem.
After a lull, the race to add more processor cores to chips continues. Tilera is developing a new chip that will have more than 100 processor cores as the company looks to outperform ARM and Intel processors in Web-specific tasks.
Best known as the chip provider for OLPC's computing products, Marvell is now seeking to expand its footprint in the mobile device market with a new low-power chip designed for low-cost smartphones and tablets.
Intel's aim is to lead the way in creating the first exaflop supercomputer, so it is making architectural improvements to its processors with the hope to reach that goal between 2018 and 2020.
Intel has scaled back plans for the next version of Itanium in a move that raises questions about the future of the 64-bit server chip, used primarily in Hewlett-Packard's high-end Integrity servers.
Tablets and smartphones will give a much-needed boost this year to the worldwide microprocessor market, which is undergoing a fundamental change with a shift to low-power processors used in energy-efficient devices, research firm IC Insights said.
The first mobile devices with Qualcomm's quad-core Snapdragon chip featuring an integrated modem will be shown off later this month, the company said on Monday.
Intel saw sales and profits drop in 2012, as the company was hit by a slide in demand for personal computers and its continued inability to make it big in the smartphone and tablet markets, but its data center business continued to grow.
The U.S. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency and a consortium of top semiconductor companies are handing out US$194 million to universities for research that addresses the physical limitations of semiconductors and chips.
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. (TSMC) said its fourth quarter net profit increased by 31.6 percent year-over-year, with demand for its chips higher than originally projected.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung's Galaxy Alpha review: A peek into the Galaxy S6
- 2 Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro hybrid Ultrabook
- 3 Bose SoundLink on-ear Bluetooth headphones
- 4 Apple iPhone 6 Plus: An in depth review
- 5 Medion Akoya P2214T (MD99430) hybrid laptop
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- Apple iPad Mini 3 review: Paying top dollar for yesterday's tech
- Report: Samsung's head of TVs may be asked to revitalize mobile business
- Webcam snooper now looking for a job
- Alienware’s push into the living room
- Kobo develops an eReader for Australia's beaches
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCStrategic Partner ManagerNSW
- FTMarketing Solutions ManagerNSW
- FTChief Information Officer - CSIROACT
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW
- FTSEO Content ExecutiveVIC
- FTPartnership Manager - MediaNSW
- FTProgram Manager - Integration & SolutionsNSW
- CCTech Support | IT Services Firm - Ad hoc Projects - Port Augusta / Whyalla AreaSA
- FTDigital Account ManagerNSW
- CCWeb / Mobile Developer - Magento - HTML5, CSS - Excellent CMS SkillsNSW
- FTStudio Design ManagerVIC
- CCTech Support | IT Services Firm - Ad hoc Projects - Echuca AreaVIC
- FTStudio Design ManagerVIC