Looking at historical trends and performance benchmarks, a team of researchers in Spain have concluded that smartphone chips could one day replace the more expensive and power-hungry x86 processors used in most of the world's top supercomputers.
Intel's upcoming family of Core processors, code-named Haswell, will offer 50 percent more battery life in laptops than did their "Ivy Bridge" predecessors, Intel said on Thursday.
Intel's upcoming family of Core processors, code-named Haswell, will offer 50 per cent more battery life in laptops than did their Ivy Bridge predecessors, according to the company.
Advanced Micro Devices hopes to regain share in the PC processor market with its upcoming chips based on the Jaguar core, which will bring console-like gaming and wireless displays to laptops with Windows 8 and its successor, Windows Blue.
Advanced Micro Devices has opened the door to embrace Google's Android operating system, but said it would continue to focus on Windows with its upcoming tablet and laptop chips.
Samsung will soon release its first Android tablet based on an Intel Atom processor, according to a source familiar with the plan, in what would be a vote of confidence for Intel chips in mobile devices.
A strong stock market could open the floodgates for more tech IPOs in the wake of Friday's solid debut of Marketo and Tableau, but not all segments of IT may be able to ride the wave.
The first mobile devices to use Nvidia's Tegra 4 chips will be announced this quarter, meaning smartphones and tablets based on the new processor should be available soon.
Samsung has built several different Galaxy S4 smartphones, including a U.S. version running a Snapdragon processor that requires an extra image processor to enable heavily promoted user functions such as eye-movement recognition.
A standards organisation has created a boot environment for tablets and PCs that could potentially run a 64-bit version of Windows RT.
Nvidia will stay on board with making Tegra ARM-based processors for Windows RT tablets despite sluggish early sales of the devices, making the same commitment that Qualcomm has made, an Nvidia executive said
Intel will advance Moore's Law for the foreseeable future, but keeping up with it is becoming more challenging as chip geometries shrink, according to a company executive.
Intel's upcoming Atom chips with new CPU architecture will be up to three times faster and five times more power efficient than their predecessors and break the "myth" that ARM processors are more power efficient, Intel said.
Semiconductor company MediaTek wants to improve the performance of low-cost Android-based smartphones with its latest system-on-a-chip (SoC), the MT6572.
Armed with a contract to build chips for Sony's PlayStation 4 gaming console, Advanced Micro Devices has now officially established a custom-chip business unit in an effort to break away from its heavy reliance on the slumping PC market.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Nutanix gets hyperconverged with PernixData and Calm.io
- Sophisticated malware possibly tied to recent ATM heists in Thailand
- AC5300 Router reviews: Linksys EA9500 vs. Netgear Nighthawk X8 vs. D-Link DIR-895L
- Facebook further automates trending topics, ditches human-written descriptions
- Dell Inspiron 17 7778 review: This massive 17-inch 2-in-1 is a worthwhile desktop replacement
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTProject SchedulerSA
- FTClient Engagement ManagerVIC
- CCSAP Program Manager - CBDNSW
- FTMicrosoft Enterprise Project Management - Technical ConsultantACT
- FTIT ManagerAsia
- CCContract Programmer (Data/File Backup Technology) 160826/P/283Asia
- CCBusiness Analyst / SalesforceNSW
- CCSr IT Support specialist - MCSE- L2/L3- Travelling requiredNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160826/AP/972Asia
- CCNetwork Technology SpecialistVIC
- CCSolutions Architect - Office 365/Sharepoint/Project OnlineQLD
- CCSenior Project Manager - Contact CentresNSW
- CCChange AnalystVIC
- CCImplementation ManagerVIC
- CCTechnical Business Analyst- BABOK,Infrastructure, Banking bkgndNSW
- CCData Migration SpecialistSA
- CCChange Communications ManagerNSW
- CCInfrastructure Project Manager (12-month renewable contract)Asia
- CCInfra & Application Specialist/ Devops SpecialistNSW
- FTSenior Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- CCWindows EngineerVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Loutus Notes) 160815/SA/102Asia
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTJava Tech Lead - Full StackNSW
- CCProject ManagerVIC