Advanced Micro Devices hopes to regain share in the PC processor market with its upcoming chips based on the Jaguar core, which will bring console-like gaming and wireless displays to laptops with Windows 8 and its successor, Windows Blue.
Advanced Micro Devices has opened the door to embrace Google's Android operating system, but said it would continue to focus on Windows with its upcoming tablet and laptop chips.
Samsung will soon release its first Android tablet based on an Intel Atom processor, according to a source familiar with the plan, in what would be a vote of confidence for Intel chips in mobile devices.
A strong stock market could open the floodgates for more tech IPOs in the wake of Friday's solid debut of Marketo and Tableau, but not all segments of IT may be able to ride the wave.
The first mobile devices to use Nvidia's Tegra 4 chips will be announced this quarter, meaning smartphones and tablets based on the new processor should be available soon.
Samsung has built several different Galaxy S4 smartphones, including a U.S. version running a Snapdragon processor that requires an extra image processor to enable heavily promoted user functions such as eye-movement recognition.
A standards organisation has created a boot environment for tablets and PCs that could potentially run a 64-bit version of Windows RT.
Nvidia will stay on board with making Tegra ARM-based processors for Windows RT tablets despite sluggish early sales of the devices, making the same commitment that Qualcomm has made, an Nvidia executive said
Intel will advance Moore's Law for the foreseeable future, but keeping up with it is becoming more challenging as chip geometries shrink, according to a company executive.
Intel's upcoming Atom chips with new CPU architecture will be up to three times faster and five times more power efficient than their predecessors and break the "myth" that ARM processors are more power efficient, Intel said.
Semiconductor company MediaTek wants to improve the performance of low-cost Android-based smartphones with its latest system-on-a-chip (SoC), the MT6572.
Armed with a contract to build chips for Sony's PlayStation 4 gaming console, Advanced Micro Devices has now officially established a custom-chip business unit in an effort to break away from its heavy reliance on the slumping PC market.
Intel is expected to announce its fourth-generation Core processors code-named Haswell for laptops and desktops in June, but the company is already releasing teasers that talk about their performance.
Samsung began production of the industry's first ultra-high-speed, 4Gbit, LPDDR3 mobile memory, which it says has performance levels comparable to the standard DRAM used in personal computers.
Intel is expanding into low-cost laptops and tablets starting at US$200 with new low-power Atom chips based on an architecture called Silvermont, which the company is expected to talk about next week, according to a source familiar with Intel's plans...
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- New Chromebook won't break with 365-pound person standing on it
- Nasdaq to use blockchain to record shareholder votes
- Pwn2Own contest puts $75,000 bounty on VMware Workstation bypass
- Intel SSDs may get speed, capacity boost with new Micron chips
- Apple's iPhone sued for infringement of touch feedback patents
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- FTFront End Developer Required Working World Leading Digital TeamNSW
- CCSenior Information Security SpecialistNSW
- CCAD and FIM EngineerNSW
- FTBusiness Intelligence AnalystVIC
- CCHybris Developer - Global ConsultancyNSW
- CCTest AnalystACT
- FTImplementation Consultant, Enterprise SoftwareNSW
- CCJava Development EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager - Cloud / Telecommunications (Melb CBD)VIC
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- CCCommercial Manager - Strategy / Big Data - Telecommunications -NSW
- CCService EngineerVIC
- CCProducts and Markets Business AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Android DeveloperNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle/UNIX) 160203/AP/381Asia
- CCSolution Architect - .NET TechnologiesNSW
- FTSenior Mobile Developer - IOSNSW
- CCApplication Support AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystACT
- CCData AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Life InsuranceVIC
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerNSW
- FTInfrastructure Project Manager - NV1 clearance mandatoryNSW
- CCInformation Security ManagerNSW