In Star Wars terms, the small cells that mobile carriers and vendors will be talking up this week at Mobile World Congress are more like the odd-couple androids R2-D2 and C-3PO than like their foes, the Empire's phalanxes of identical storm troopers.
Intel will start shipping its high-performance Atom smartphone chip with 3D transistors to device makers later this year, who will then test the chip for use in handsets.
Imagination Technologies is moving forward with the development of the MIPS CPU architecture, trying to dispel concerns about the processor's future after acquiring struggling MIPS Technologies late last year for a heavily discounted price.
Samsung has introduced the Galaxy Note 8 tablet with an 8-inch display, adding a new screen size to its expanding lineup of Note products.
Even though PC giants Hewlett-Packard and Dell reported significant year-over-year sales declines, tech stocks, buoyed by signs of confidence from other IT vendors, started to rise again Friday after slumping for most of the week.
Smartphones and tablets with the emerging Wi-Fi wireless networking technology, 802.11ac, will arrive early in the second half of this year, a Qualcomm executive said.
Handset maker ZTE said it will be the first vendor to launch smartphones using Nvidia's Tegra 4 processor, with new models slated to arrive in China before mid-year.
Broadcom says it's invented a chip that can tell your phone where you are all the time without quickly draining your battery.
Hoping to extend Linux's reach to ARM-based networking equipment, the not-for-profit engineering group Linaro has launched an initiative to develop code to run routers, switches and other networking equipment.
Nvidia on Tuesday announced the GeForce GTX Titan, a GPU designed to handle the most demanding games by harnessing the processing power of 2,668 graphics cores.
Chipmaker LSI is taking ARM-based processors to new frontiers with its upcoming AXM5500 family, which will be used in mobile base stations of all sizes.
Nvidia hopes to power sub-$200 smartphones and tablets under $300 with its latest Tegra 4i processor, which is also the company's first chip with an integrated LTE modem.
After a lull, the race to add more processor cores to chips continues. Tilera is developing a new chip that will have more than 100 processor cores as the company looks to outperform ARM and Intel processors in Web-specific tasks.
Best known as the chip provider for OLPC's computing products, Marvell is now seeking to expand its footprint in the mobile device market with a new low-power chip designed for low-cost smartphones and tablets.
Intel's aim is to lead the way in creating the first exaflop supercomputer, so it is making architectural improvements to its processors with the hope to reach that goal between 2018 and 2020.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 3 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 4 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 5 Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Plat.One acquisition marks start of $2B IoT investment plan for SAP
- Review: Asus ROG G752 OC Edition - Faster than many desktop gaming PCs
- NBN ditches Optus HFC for FTTdp
- Oracle denied new trial in copyright dispute with Google over Java
- Helping businesses prepare for the workplace of the future, today
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTTechnical Business Analyst | Marketing ServicesNSW
- FTIT Pre-Sales EngineerSA
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- CCProgram Manager - Data InsightVIC
- CCVideo Conference Support Officer- VoIP, LAN, WAN, RemedyNSW
- FTTest SpecialistSA
- CCInfrastructure Project Manager - DCR ProjectNSW
- CCIT Security ArchitectACT
- CCSolutions ArchitectACT
- CCPMO AnalystNSW
- FTCertification and Accreditation Security ConsultantACT
- FTNetApp Storage ConsultantWA
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- CCTechnical Architect/DesignerACT
- CCBI Reporting AnalystACT
- CCContract Junior Programmer (J2EE/SQL) 160927/JP/551Asia
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTCustomer Solutions Engineer | Voice | Data | TelcoNSW
- CCSenior Change ManagerVIC
- FTEMC Storage ConsultantWA
- FTScrum Master | High Profile FintechNSW
- CCSenior Infrastrcture Project ManagerACT
- CCData Analyst | Data Management Framework | Experience in RNSW
- FTTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / ARIBA)NSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst -Change and SAP ProcurementNSW