QUESTION: My Windows 7 Home Premium computer has a quad-core processor and 4GB of RAM. I've not found any advantage to using four cores. How can I use the processor more effectively and allocate different processes to the individual cores?
This article is the third in a series of how-to stories on building a computer. For a video version of part three, click here.
Overclocking refers to pushing your computer components harder and faster than the manufacturer designed them to go. The initial pitch is seductive: Buy a slower, lower-cost CPU; juice up the clock speed; and presto! You have a cheap, high-end proces...
When you're shopping for a new PC, don't meekly settle for the default processor recommended by the configurator. Picking the right CPU is a personal decision that you shouldn't enter into lightly. And with so many options to choose from, you need to...
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 3 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 4 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 5 MSI GS70 laptop review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Intel, Microsoft going long distance with Cortana on Windows 10 PCs
- Obama orders review of election hacks as Trump doubts Russia's role
- Ransomware attacks against businesses increased threefold in 2016
- Attackers use hacked home routers to hit Russia's 5 largest banks
- US mulls rules for airlines that plan in-flight Wi-Fi voice calls
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTTechnical Writer - HealthcareVIC
- TPiOS DeveloperNSW
- CCDevelopment Manager / Engineering Manager - Canberra RoleNSW
- CCInfrastructure Architect - CloudVIC
- FTSoftware Implementation ConsultantVIC
- TPIntegration DeveloperWA
- CCDeveloper - Tag managementNSW
- TPProject Manager - Documentation RebrandQLD
- CCJAVA Developer- XML, SOAP, GIS, Web services, SPRINGNSW
- PTProject ManagersACT
- TPSenior Systems EngineerWA
- CCPerformance Test AnalystQLD
- FTService Desk Analyst / Security EngineerQLD
- CCInfrastructure Team LeadNSW
- CCAdobe AEM DeveloperVIC
- TPNetwork EngineerVIC
- FTSME Senior Financial Planner - MelbourneVIC
- CCAPI DeveloperNSW
- TP.NET Developer (Sitecore)QLD
- FTSenior Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- TPSenior UI Front End DeveloperQLD
- FTLevel 2/3 Application Support SpecialistQLD
- TPSenior System Engineer - WintelVIC
- TPWordpress DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior Security ConsultantACT