QUESTION: My Windows 7 Home Premium computer has a quad-core processor and 4GB of RAM. I've not found any advantage to using four cores. How can I use the processor more effectively and allocate different processes to the individual cores?
This article is the third in a series of how-to stories on building a computer. For a video version of part three, click here.
Overclocking refers to pushing your computer components harder and faster than the manufacturer designed them to go. The initial pitch is seductive: Buy a slower, lower-cost CPU; juice up the clock speed; and presto! You have a cheap, high-end proces...
When you're shopping for a new PC, don't meekly settle for the default processor recommended by the configurator. Picking the right CPU is a personal decision that you shouldn't enter into lightly. And with so many options to choose from, you need to...
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Google didn't abuse its position in Streetmap case, UK court rules
- New Chromebook won't break with 365-pound person standing on it
- Nasdaq to use blockchain to record shareholder votes
- Pwn2Own contest puts $75,000 bounty on VMware Workstation bypass
- Intel SSDs may get speed, capacity boost with new Micron chips
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- CCCisco Program Manager - Data Centre/Security ImplementationNSW
- CCJava Development EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Mobile Developer - IOSNSW
- CCCommercial Manager - Strategy / Big Data - Telecommunications -NSW
- FTProject Manager | Defence projects | NV1/NV2 cleared | Canberra basedACT
- CCIT Service Improvement SpecialistNSW
- FTWintel EngineerACT
- CCMultiple Java rolesACT
- CCSolution Architect_Microsoft ArchitectureACT
- CCImplementation ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst - AdventedgeVIC
- CCIBM ESB Developer (Junior to mid level role)NSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Life InsuranceVIC
- FTProject Support OfficerWA
- CCOracle Business AnalystSA
- CCOracle Developer - 3 month contractSA
- FTBusiness Intelligence AnalystVIC
- CCiOS DeveloperNSW
- CCWeb Content WriterSA
- CCContract System Analyst (Website/PHP development) 160122/SA/vmtAsia
- CCOrganisational Change AnalystQLD
- CCSenior Visual DesignerNSW
- CCWeb DeveloperNSW
- CCMaster SchedulerVIC