If you plan to buy a cheap smartphone next year expect to get LTE, an HD screen and a good-looking device, as competing manufacturers and chip vendors lower prices.
Using Wi-Fi networks in crowded environments can be a soul-destroying experience, but next-generation access points powered by Qualcomm chipsets will use a new antenna technology to ease the pain.
LTE's theoretical maximum download speed will increase to 450 Mbps next year -- but the upgrade will be out of reach for most users, as many mobile operators simply don't have enough radio spectrum.
Qualcomm wants to enter the server market, but it won't do it alone, and will tap expertise in China to build the low-power chips.
Chipmaker Qualcomm is facing regulatory investigations in the U.S. and Europe in addition to an ongoing anti-monopoly probe in China.
Qualcomm has agreed to buy chip company CSR in a move to strengthen its focus on the Internet of Things (IoT) and connected cars.
Sharp is close to commercializing its first product that uses a MEMS display -- a new type of flat-panel display that boasts deeper and richer colors than traditional LCD screens and lower power consumption.
Qualcomm has released SDKs (software development kits) for LTE broadcast and digital glasses at its Uplinq conference, hoping to give the two burgeoning areas a push.
Qualcomm has given a peek at the graphics capabilities of its new Snapdragon 810 chipset, which it confirmed will start shipping in tablets and other devices early next year.
Sharp has set 2017 as its target for mass production of a new display it says will reduce power consumption in smartphones and tablets.
Qualcomm is being urged by a top Chinese regulator to make money in the country in tandem with its local partners.
With the introduction of the Snapdragon 210 chipset, Qualcomm is hoping to push down the cost of LTE smartphones even further.
Nvidia has sued Samsung and Qualcomm for allegedly infringing seven of its patents related to GPUs, and is trying to block the sale of some Samsung products in the U.S.
Smarter contextual awareness, 4K video and augmented reality are just some of the new technologies that will be offered by smartphones and tablets over the next year or so, according to Qualcomm's product blueprints.
China's anti-monopoly investigation of Qualcomm is starting to disrupt its licensing business and making it harder for the U.S. company to collect royalties from the country.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Google Nexus 6P review: An outstanding multimedia machine
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Modular cellphone kit can be used for IoT and wearables
- Now that AI has mastered 'Go,' are all our jobs next?
- Make a $40 Linux or Android PC with new Raspberry Pi 2 rival
- Researcher finds serious flaw in Chromium-based Avast SafeZone browser
- Dridex banking malware mysteriously hijacked to distribute antivirus program
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTInsight / Customer / modelling - Analyst (Data Scientist)NSW
- CCImmediate iOS Developer Required - Contract - SydneyNSW
- CCTechnical Lead - .NET TechnologiesACT
- FTSenior Front End Developer Required Working World Leading Digital TeamVIC
- FTApplication Packaging & Deployments Team LeaderNSW
- FTFull Stack & Mobile EngineersNSW
- CCApplication Project ManagerVIC
- FTNetwork Engineer | Canberra | NV1 NV2 clearance | Defence projectsVIC
- CCIT Service Deliver & Improvement ManagerACT
- CCIT Security EngineerNSW
- FTProgram Test DirectorNSW
- FTFront End Developer Required Working World Leading Digital TeamNSW
- FTHelpdesk support - Level 1VIC
- CCChange CoordinatorNSW
- CCHelpdesk SupportNSW
- CCLevel 2 Helpdesk, Service Support- Remedy or SAP backgroundNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Crystal Reports) 160129/AP/vhs-aAsia
- FTApplication Support AnalystVIC
- FTJunior Developer | C#, MVC & SQL | Class FinanceNSW
- CCSSIS/ SSRS ExpertVIC
- CCOracle Applications Projects Functional ConsultantSA
- CCSAP Primavera Functional ConsultantNSW
- CCETL DeveloperNSW
- CCApplication Support AnalystNSW
- FTJunior Project Manager | Permanent role in Canberra | NV1/2 clearedACT