Sharp is close to commercializing its first product that uses a MEMS display -- a new type of flat-panel display that boasts deeper and richer colors than traditional LCD screens and lower power consumption.
Qualcomm has released SDKs (software development kits) for LTE broadcast and digital glasses at its Uplinq conference, hoping to give the two burgeoning areas a push.
Qualcomm has given a peek at the graphics capabilities of its new Snapdragon 810 chipset, which it confirmed will start shipping in tablets and other devices early next year.
Sharp has set 2017 as its target for mass production of a new display it says will reduce power consumption in smartphones and tablets.
Qualcomm is being urged by a top Chinese regulator to make money in the country in tandem with its local partners.
With the introduction of the Snapdragon 210 chipset, Qualcomm is hoping to push down the cost of LTE smartphones even further.
Nvidia has sued Samsung and Qualcomm for allegedly infringing seven of its patents related to GPUs, and is trying to block the sale of some Samsung products in the U.S.
Smarter contextual awareness, 4K video and augmented reality are just some of the new technologies that will be offered by smartphones and tablets over the next year or so, according to Qualcomm's product blueprints.
China's anti-monopoly investigation of Qualcomm is starting to disrupt its licensing business and making it harder for the U.S. company to collect royalties from the country.
Smartphones and tablets will be able to transmit 4K video directly to big screens next year now that mobile chip maker Qualcomm has acquired Wilocity.
Qualcomm is bringing 4G coverage to offices and homes with a low-cost chip that will power wireless routers with both Wi-Fi and LTE.
As they battle for dominance in the cut-throat smartphone category, vendors are betting that luxury-evoking designs and features such as better front cameras will get consumers to open their wallets.
A collaborative, nonprofit foundation has been started by a group of technology companies to boost the adoption of the MIPS processor architecture.
Qualcomm's activities in China could result in regulatory penalties for the chip vendor, this time from the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission over bribery allegations.
Free Wi-Fi aggregator Fon is hoping to boost the popularity of its network with the Gramofon, a router that integrates music streaming. The first service to be added is Spotify, but more are on the way.
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 3 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 4 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Lavabit developer has a new encrypted, end-to-end email protocol
- Apple sues Qualcomm over patent licensing and $1B in payments
- New details emerge about Intel's super-small Euclid computer for robots
- Microsoft will soon end Office 2013 distribution through Office 365
- Researchers propose a way to use your heartbeat as a password
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTBrand Marketing Manager - Premium Entertainment BrandNSW
- CCSenior Solution ArchitectVIC
- CCIntegration Systems SpecialistQLD
- TPService Delivery ManagerQLD
- TPSenior Project Manager - Digital Application CX TransformationNSW
- CCSenior PMO Analyst - ReportingNSW
- CCNetwork Design EngineerACT
- TPProject CoordintorVIC
- CCSenior Agile Business AnalystNSW
- FTRegional Sales Manager - Telco/ICT - Employer of choiceQLD
- TPDynamics CRM Technical Delivery ManagerVIC
- TPSharePoint DeveloperVIC
- FTBI Report DeveloperQLD
- TPSOA DeveloperNSW
- CCWeb Architect - Ruby, Python, Java, Open sourceNSW
- CCMid-level Java Developer / Programmer (Contract) Finance CBDNSW
- TPProjects Planning ManagerQLD
- FTLevel 3 EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Developer - Appian/PegaVIC
- TPService Desk AnalystVIC
- TPBI Report Developer - SSRS SSIS SSASNSW
- FTPHP DeveloperQLD
- CCBusiness Project ManagerNSW
- CCChange and Communications AnalystQLD
- CCSystems EngineerQLD