Though IT trailed other sectors as market indices rose to milestone highs this quarter, some bright spots in earnings and market research reports this week indicate continuing confidence that things will go better for tech this year than in 2012.
Red Hat and Rackspace have won an early dismissal of a patent infringement claim brought by Uniloc, in a decision the companies are hailing as a potential landmark in intellectual property law.
Expanding its stack of enterprise ready open source middleware, Red Hat has integrated key software from its acquisition of FuseSource last September.
Bulking up on tools for managing hybrid clouds, Red Hat plans to fold the software it acquired last month in the ManageIQ purchase into its own CloudForms software.
Enriching its portfolio of cloud management software, Red Hat is acquiring ManageIQ, a provider of software that helps organizations manage their virtual machines across public and private clouds.
Less than a year after a major update to its Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization (RHEL) package, Red Hat has upgraded the software to offer more advanced storage capabilities.
After a number of delays, the beta of the Fedora 18 Linux-based distribution has been released.
The PaaS (platform as a service) market will grow to US$1.2 billion this year, up from last year's $900 million take, as vendors and customers seek easier ways to create new applications and customize existing ones, according analyst firm Gartner.
There's been a lot of talk from hardware vendors about 64-bit ARM servers, but without software the fledgling platform won't get very far. Several big vendors made announcements this week that show software support is on its way.
U.S. government agencies have long used open-source software. Now, some agencies are embracing the collaborative development model of open-source software development and are releasing code back to the wider community.
Confidence in the tech sector appears to be recovering on strong results from Tibco and Red Hat and optimism about the economy, after sinking earlier this week in the wake of a disappointing report from Oracle.
Buoyed by strong subscription revenue, open-source software company Red Hat reported on Monday strong net income and revenue gains for the third quarter of its fiscal year 2012.
Red Hat has updated its flagship operating system, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, with new technologies designed to cut the cost and improve performance of enterprise storage, the company announced Tuesday.
Independent platform-as-a-service providers acknowledge that theirs is a crowded market, especially with big IT vendors like Oracle, Hewlett-Packard and Dell entering as competitors, but they expressed confidence this week that there is room in the m...
Red Hat has outfitted its OpenShift hosted application platform with a set of application development lifecycle tools to simplify deployment on the PaaS (Platform-as-a-Service), the company announced Tuesday.
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 3 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 4 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 5 MSI GS70 laptop review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- US mulls rules for airlines that plan in-flight Wi-Fi voice calls
- Georgia says it's traced an attempted voter hack to DHS
- How the Internet of Things is putting us at risk
- AMD packs more horsepower into GPUs with new Radeon ReLive software
- Cortana for iOS, Android now features quick access to common actions
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSecurity Sales SpecialistVIC
- FTAndroid Technical Lead (Work From Home 2-3 Days)NSW
- FTWeb Developer/ DesignerQLD
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- TPSHAREPOINT SPECIALISTQLD
- CCSecurity SpecialistVIC
- CCSenior Back-end Developer/Database DesignerNSW
- FTSenior Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- CCTechnical Writer - TelcoVIC
- CCService Desk Consultant - SYDNEY ROLE (baseline clearance)ACT
- CCSolutions Designer/Architect- ServiceNowVIC
- FTLevel 1/2 Service Desk AnalystQLD
- FTWeb Developer/ DesignerWA
- CCInfrastructure Solutions Architect - ParramattaNSW
- TPBusiness Improvement and Change ManagerQLD
- CCChange AnalystNSW
- CCAutoCAD Business System Analyst/ GIS, Spatial AnalystNSW
- FTProject Manager / Senior Business AnalystSA
- FTHelpdesk Support- LANNSW
- FTCampaign AnalystVIC
- FTService Lifecycle Management RepresentativeVIC
- CCTest Lead : Perth BasedSA
- CCSystems Administrator :SCCMWA
- CCDevelopment Manager / Engineering Manager - Canberra RoleNSW
- CCNetwork Support EngineerNSW