Japanese chipmaker Renesas Electronics is joining the rush to offer a hardware development platform for the Internet of Things (IoT).
Apple is said to be in talks with Renesas Electronics to buy its majority-owned joint venture that designs chips for smartphone displays.
Renesas Electronics' latest system-on-a-chip has eight ARM processing cores to help next-generation, in-car infotainment systems handle multiple streams of 1080p video and augmented reality apps.
ARM is promising close to 70 percent processor power savings with a new chip design called Big.Little, and mobile devices on display at the Mobile World Congress provided the first glimpse of how the technology works.
The mobile chipset market is in a state of flux with a number of key vendors struggling, but analysts say the result of the turmoil will be more advanced high-end smartphones and cheaper low-end devices.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 2 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 3 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft appears to be building a business app marketplace
- Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- Box Shuttle makes it easier to ditch on-prem file storage
- Facebook wins appeal over tracking non-members in Belgium
- Terror-suspect database used by banks, governments, has been leaked
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSystems Trainer - Networking/ RadioVIC
- CCSolution Architect / Designer - Cyber SecurityNSW
- CCMicrosoft .NET Developer (Server and Applications)SA
- FTIT Support Analyst (Renewal Contract)Asia
- FTTableau BI DeveloperNSW
- CCHybrid Mobile App DeveloperNSW
- CCOrganisational Change ManagerVIC
- CC.net DeveloperACT
- CCIT Business AnalystNSW
- CCChange Manager, Digital ProgramNSW
- FTVoice ArchitectNSW
- CCProgram Test ManagerNSW
- CCSalesforce DeveloperVIC
- CCSystems Administrator with developer skills | Defence intelligence | NV2 clearedACT
- CCSystems Engineer | Experimental military technology | NV1ACT
- CCSolution DesignerACT
- CCService Desk AnaystNSW
- CCTelecommunications Operations Support officerACT
- CCSnr IT Project Manager - Contact CentreVIC
- FTSoftware Services Team LeaderNSW
- FTSystems Analyst - ERPNSW
- FTIT Project ManagerAsia
- CCLead Solution Analyst - BMC Remedy softwareVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160620/AP/623Asia
- CCNetwork EngineerACT