Japanese chipmaker Renesas Electronics is joining the rush to offer a hardware development platform for the Internet of Things (IoT).
Apple is said to be in talks with Renesas Electronics to buy its majority-owned joint venture that designs chips for smartphone displays.
Renesas Electronics' latest system-on-a-chip has eight ARM processing cores to help next-generation, in-car infotainment systems handle multiple streams of 1080p video and augmented reality apps.
ARM is promising close to 70 percent processor power savings with a new chip design called Big.Little, and mobile devices on display at the Mobile World Congress provided the first glimpse of how the technology works.
The mobile chipset market is in a state of flux with a number of key vendors struggling, but analysts say the result of the turmoil will be more advanced high-end smartphones and cheaper low-end devices.
Renesas Electronics has started test production at a second chip-manufacturing line at its quake-hit Naka plant in Japan, putting the company another step closer to resuming commercial production.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Dell's private buyout shortchanged shareholders, court rules
- Atari's going to build IoT devices that talk over a low-power network
- Marketo gets scooped up into the private world for US$1.79 billion
- Kaby Lake starts strong as Intel retools PC strategy
- OEM software update tools preloaded on PCs are a security mess
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSenior Java DeveloperWA
- FTScrum MasterVIC
- CCInfrastructure and Cloud Project ManagerVIC
- FTSenior Mobile DeveloperWA
- CCProject Manager NetworksNSW
- CCContract Computer Operator (UNIX/Windows-based) 1610524/CCO/vmtAsia
- CCInfrastructure Business AnalystNSW
- FTJunior Web Developer | CBD | Digital AgencyVIC
- CCProject managerACT
- CCTest Analyst / Test LeadNSW
- CCTechnical Service LeadNSW
- CCProject Manager - Healthcare DomainSA
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCTechnology Lead/ Senior Developer - Java (Urgent)NSW
- CCSystem Engineer - Server Migration experienceNSW
- CCPHP / Magento E-Commerce DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Operational ReadinessSA
- CCDevOps Software Configuration ManagerACT
- CCOperations Systems Support ManagerNSW
- CCSharePoint DeveloperVIC
- CCInfrastructure Deployment ManagerVIC
- CCSQL DeveloperNSW
- CCICT Fleet and Equipment Audit ResourcesSA
- CCChange Manager- ProcurementNSW
- CCQA OfficerACT