In another sign of worry for Samsung Electronics, the Korean tech giant has lost its ranking as China's top smartphone vendor, after holding onto the position for two straight years, according to research firm Canalys.
Microsoft filed suit against Samsung on Friday, claiming the device maker has backed out of an agreement that requires it to pay licensing fees to Microsoft for the Android phones it sells.
Xiaomi became the world's fifth-largest smartphone vendor in the second quarter, catapulted into the top five for the first time by its hit products in its home market of China, according to research firm Strategy Analytics.
Apple's grip on the tablet is loosening, with the iPad losing ground during the second quarter this year to Android and Windows tablets.
It can be tough getting the attention of airport gate staff. Soon they might have an additional distraction: smartwatches.
Chinese authorities have so far found no underage workers at a local Samsung Electronics supplier accused of using "child labor," but have started a campaign to crack down on the illegal activity.
Google's Nest subsidiary and heavy hitters including Samsung Electronics and Arm Holdings are launching the latest bid to make sensors, cameras, appliances and other devices in homes easily talk to each other.
Samsung Electronics has temporarily suspended business with one of its Chinese suppliers, after a labor watchdog group accused the factory of hiring five underage workers.
News about how tech sales are doing has been mixed, ahead of a flood of earnings reports from vendors.
Samsung Electronics has updated and rebranded its app store, in an apparent bid to cut into Google's revenue from its Play store for apps running on Android devices.
Some top hardware companies have established a new Internet of Things consortium to create standards so that billions of devices can connect to each other.
Samsung Electronics is expecting a drop in its operating profit for the third consecutive quarter, citing an overall slowdown in smartphone market growth and increased competition in China and some European markets.
Samsung Electronics has asked a court in California to hold invalid claims of two Apple patents in the wake of a U.S. Supreme Court decision that tightened standards for patentability.
After shutting down its in-house book and music services, Samsung Electronics is closing the company's Video and Media Hub, which hasn't been able to compete with the likes of Netflix, Amazon and Google.
Samsung claims to have raised the reliability and capacity of solid state drives with the new 1TB models in its 850 Pro line, made using the company's latest memory technology.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- 2 Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- 3 Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- 4 LG G6 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- NSA ends surveillance tactic that pulled in citizens' emails, texts
- Stealthy Mac malware spies on encrypted browser traffic
- Microsoft reinstates My People for Windows 10, connecting you to your BFFs
- This overclocked EVGA GTX 1050 Ti costs less than reference models
- Google's Chrome will soon start warning you more about HTTP pages
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSnr Technical Salesforce Consultant Global IT Managed Services - SydneyNSW
- FTSenior IT Domain SpecialistVIC
- FTChange CoordinatorACT
- FTAEM Technology Lead - Blue Chip companyNSW
- CCVisual DesignerACT
- FTLevel 2 Software & Hardware Support position.VIC
- CCIT Information ArchitectNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst/Project ManagerQLD
- CCSenior Full-Stack Developer (Digital Transformation Project)QLD
- FTField Engineer - Hardware RolloutsNSW
- CCSystems Administrator - Cloud, Azure and LinuxQLD
- FTGeospatial Data AnalystVIC
- FTMicrosoft SQL DBAVIC
- CCTibco Integration Specialist l Port MacquarieNSW
- TPProject ManagerQLD
- FTPMO Project Analytics and Tools ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Wintel EngineerNSW
- CCSolution Designer with PEGA experience- TelcoVIC
- CCNetwork Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior Network Engineer - RANVIC
- CCTest Capability LeadNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTIT ArchitectNSW
- FTInfrastructure DesignerVIC