In another sign of worry for Samsung Electronics, the Korean tech giant has lost its ranking as China's top smartphone vendor, after holding onto the position for two straight years, according to research firm Canalys.
Microsoft filed suit against Samsung on Friday, claiming the device maker has backed out of an agreement that requires it to pay licensing fees to Microsoft for the Android phones it sells.
Xiaomi became the world's fifth-largest smartphone vendor in the second quarter, catapulted into the top five for the first time by its hit products in its home market of China, according to research firm Strategy Analytics.
Apple's grip on the tablet is loosening, with the iPad losing ground during the second quarter this year to Android and Windows tablets.
It can be tough getting the attention of airport gate staff. Soon they might have an additional distraction: smartwatches.
Chinese authorities have so far found no underage workers at a local Samsung Electronics supplier accused of using "child labor," but have started a campaign to crack down on the illegal activity.
Google's Nest subsidiary and heavy hitters including Samsung Electronics and Arm Holdings are launching the latest bid to make sensors, cameras, appliances and other devices in homes easily talk to each other.
Samsung Electronics has temporarily suspended business with one of its Chinese suppliers, after a labor watchdog group accused the factory of hiring five underage workers.
News about how tech sales are doing has been mixed, ahead of a flood of earnings reports from vendors.
Samsung Electronics has updated and rebranded its app store, in an apparent bid to cut into Google's revenue from its Play store for apps running on Android devices.
Some top hardware companies have established a new Internet of Things consortium to create standards so that billions of devices can connect to each other.
Samsung Electronics is expecting a drop in its operating profit for the third consecutive quarter, citing an overall slowdown in smartphone market growth and increased competition in China and some European markets.
Samsung Electronics has asked a court in California to hold invalid claims of two Apple patents in the wake of a U.S. Supreme Court decision that tightened standards for patentability.
After shutting down its in-house book and music services, Samsung Electronics is closing the company's Video and Media Hub, which hasn't been able to compete with the likes of Netflix, Amazon and Google.
Samsung claims to have raised the reliability and capacity of solid state drives with the new 1TB models in its 850 Pro line, made using the company's latest memory technology.
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 3 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 4 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 5 MSI GS70 laptop review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Ubisoft's 30th anniversary putters across the finish line with free copies of Assassin's Creed III
- Google and Slack deepen partnership in the face of Microsoft Teams
- Fitbit scoops up rival fitness tracker maker Pebble
- Latest Android security update fixes Dirty COW, GPS vulnerabilities
- YouTube's top trending videos for 2016
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTJava DevelopersWA
- CCSystems AdministratorQLD
- CCCloud Solution Architect - Financial Services - Continuous IntegrationNSW
- FTService Lifecycle RepresentativeQLD
- CCSenior Integration DeveloperVIC
- CCTechnical SpecialistNSW
- FTIT Information Security AdvisorNSW
- FTUX / UI DesignerVIC
- FTMigration ArchitectSA
- FTSAP BW ConsultantACT
- FTSolutions Architect - Data Centre/ NetworkACT
- CCAPI DeveloperNSW
- CCProject Manager - Web & Portal Delivery- Government backgroundNSW
- CCDevelopment Manager / Engineering Manager - Canberra RoleNSW
- FTTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- CCNetwork EngineerNSW
- CCData Surveyor, Data Analyst, Electrical backgroundACT
- FTSalesforce Solutions Architect/DeveloperNSW
- CCWeb Optimisation AnalystNSW
- CCAPI DeveloperQLD
- FTWeb Developer/ DesignerQLD
- CCProgress DeveloperQLD
- FTHead of User ResearchNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - BI, DataNSW
- TPProject CoordinatorNSW