In another sign of worry for Samsung Electronics, the Korean tech giant has lost its ranking as China's top smartphone vendor, after holding onto the position for two straight years, according to research firm Canalys.
Microsoft filed suit against Samsung on Friday, claiming the device maker has backed out of an agreement that requires it to pay licensing fees to Microsoft for the Android phones it sells.
Xiaomi became the world's fifth-largest smartphone vendor in the second quarter, catapulted into the top five for the first time by its hit products in its home market of China, according to research firm Strategy Analytics.
Apple's grip on the tablet is loosening, with the iPad losing ground during the second quarter this year to Android and Windows tablets.
It can be tough getting the attention of airport gate staff. Soon they might have an additional distraction: smartwatches.
Chinese authorities have so far found no underage workers at a local Samsung Electronics supplier accused of using "child labor," but have started a campaign to crack down on the illegal activity.
Google's Nest subsidiary and heavy hitters including Samsung Electronics and Arm Holdings are launching the latest bid to make sensors, cameras, appliances and other devices in homes easily talk to each other.
Samsung Electronics has temporarily suspended business with one of its Chinese suppliers, after a labor watchdog group accused the factory of hiring five underage workers.
News about how tech sales are doing has been mixed, ahead of a flood of earnings reports from vendors.
Samsung Electronics has updated and rebranded its app store, in an apparent bid to cut into Google's revenue from its Play store for apps running on Android devices.
Some top hardware companies have established a new Internet of Things consortium to create standards so that billions of devices can connect to each other.
Samsung Electronics is expecting a drop in its operating profit for the third consecutive quarter, citing an overall slowdown in smartphone market growth and increased competition in China and some European markets.
Samsung Electronics has asked a court in California to hold invalid claims of two Apple patents in the wake of a U.S. Supreme Court decision that tightened standards for patentability.
After shutting down its in-house book and music services, Samsung Electronics is closing the company's Video and Media Hub, which hasn't been able to compete with the likes of Netflix, Amazon and Google.
Samsung claims to have raised the reliability and capacity of solid state drives with the new 1TB models in its 850 Pro line, made using the company's latest memory technology.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 2 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
- 3 Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 4 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 5 Huawei Mate 8 review: probably the best all-round Android phone you can buy
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Windows 7 PCs with free OS upgrade are still available, for now
- SwiftKey's typing predictions may have leaked users' emails
- New Android Trojan SpyNote leaks on underground forums
- ISP groups appeal net neutrality court defeat
- IBM's Cloud CTO: 'We're in this game to win'
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCTechnical Specialist - EUCNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerACT
- FTSystems Administrator | Defence | NV1 / NV2 clearedACT
- CCContract IT Assistant (SQL/Windows) 160804/ITA/151Asia
- CCSenior Tester - Automation / Telecommunications (Urgent)NSW
- CCBPM Solution ArchitectVIC
- CCTest ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Systems Engineer - Citrix & VMWareNSW
- CCIOS DeveloperWA
- CCCRM DeveloperACT
- CCMac (iOS) Support Engineer - $30 p/h - Three Year ContractNSW
- FTPortfolio Project Governance AnalystNSW
- CCSystems AdministratorSA
- FTService Desk Team LeadNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE) 160721/AP/075Asia
- FTData AnalystACT
- FTSystems Applications ManagerACT
- CCSenior Security SpecialistNSW
- CCTrainer - Windows 10 / Office 2016ACT
- CCOracle Apex DeveloperWA
- CCFull Stack Java DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Process Analyst - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTProject CoordinatorQLD
- CCData Analyst / Data ModelerNSW